shadetree

1985 vf700c magna

and the hits just keep on coming !..lol. spent a short time in a parking lot today, master cylinder on my hydraulic clutch also went out ?, got it open, sure enough, all the brake fluid was just about gone !. called cat fish, he brought me some brake fluid, i got home, still was not shifting like it should ?!?, but i got home !. just pulled master cylinder, gave it a good cleaning out, fresh brake fluid, got pressure on lever, but its not releasing from tranny ?. only thing i can think of is the friction disk and plates are stuck together ?. so, on that note, i just placed an order for a right side clutch cover gasket, all new friction disk, and a bearing. man, i can't get ahead for nuff'n !..lol. will be a few days before i get the parts ?, i'll take some pic's of the tear down when i get to that point.

• Like 1

oh man..... when it rain .. it pours ..... I'm glad you finally got holt of catfish ... but not exactly on the best cercomstances .... 

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh man..... when it rain .. it pours ..... I'm glad you finally got holt of catfish ... but not exactly on the best cercomstances .... 

HAHA...he had my number blocked !...rofl. no..it was not intentionally !..lol. yeah, i was ridding back from his place when i had this happen..RIGHT AT THE DANG MAIN STOP LIGHT FULL OF TRAFFIC TOO !..LOL. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you said he probobly did.... in chat .... you nailed that one... lol!..... 

yeah...some times...I HATE BEING RIGHT !..LOL.

• Haha 1

Don't think we can call this raining, think it's more of a hurricane....lol

• Like 1

got bored, decided to tear into my baby, pretty sure i found some of the problems !..lol. one disk is not good, slave cylinder for the clutch is a mess, and the clutch basket has scratches on the bottom side, and i have no idea how , or what from ?.

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

• Like 1

My guess would be , the rivets in the basket chipped off and made the marks in the basket ----   the clutch slave cylinder leaked the brake fluid into the crank case by the seal around the clutch rod  ,when the brake fluid  got low  it  created  that crystallized looking stuff from water condensation 

Man that is some ugly parts shade, guess its not just more air in the system.....

just a question.... are you the original owner ? maybe there's a chance this was from from the PO .... that had clutch issues .... 

2nd pic of the basket at 2:30 position The rivet head has scratch marks that run the opposite way of the scratches on the basket. Maybe that rivet turned.  

yea.... it's turned , but check out this one at 6 o'clock chipped away .. and the metal flakes / filings in pic 2. 

this why we keep saying pictures are worth a thousand words! lol.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks nasty Shade. Saw brake fluid one time like that in an old 67 Impala SS my roomate bought. The wheel cylinders looked like that. I didn't realized it was caused by moisture. Figured it was just dried out fluid.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

just a question.... are you the original owner ? maybe there's a chance this was from from the PO .... that had clutch issues .... 

no, i am not the original owner.

• Thanks 1

basket is cracked at 3 o'clock, runs from center to outside edge.

IMG_1220.JPG

• Thanks 1

I would guess the rivets got loose in the basket , which cause the problem , too many burn outs and wheelies , LOL ----- is the gear loose on the back side of the basket ? ---- how's about a pic of the back side of the clutch basket 

yea.... i see the crack plain as day, and this is what ALSO got my eye ... kind of a strange for location of these scuff marks.

image.jpg

Funny, my brother got a brand new 85 (750 here) left over Magna in 86. Havent seen one since. No Reagan restrictions here 😛
Thats the problem with anything now in the 80s or older, they are so old that anything hydraulic is likely rotten or full of old oil. The rubber piston cups on either end a lot of times rot out. This case (no pun intended 😛 ) had several issues. That rivet part, i wouldnt have predicted that. 😮

update: well crap...my spare basket from a 750 magna will not fit !. the gear teeth count is off, as well as the thickness, which will not allow me to slide the basket onto the oil pump drive gear behind the basket. thought of changing both the basket and primary gear ?, NOPE..WILL NOT WORK EITHER !. i found a basket on ebay, contacted the guy on the phone, i wanted him to take the innards out of the basket, send me some pics of what the INSIDE of the basket looked like ?. he has it listed on ebay as in great shape, no cracks, no scratches ?, BUT DOES NOT LIST ANY PIC'S SHOWING THE INSIDE OF THE BASKET !..LOL. I i told him if the inside is in as good shape as the outside, no bad spots ?, i'd buy it. he said he would take it apart, and text me some pics later today of the inside of the basket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATC4ever said:

Funny, my brother got a brand new 85 (750 here) left over Magna in 86. Havent seen one since. No Reagan restrictions here 😛
Thats the problem with anything now in the 80s or older, they are so old that anything hydraulic is likely rotten or full of old oil. The rubber piston cups on either end a lot of times rot out. This case (no pun intended 😛 ) had several issues. That rivet part, i wouldnt have predicted that. 😮

when i got my hands on this bike a few yrs ago, i went through all fluids top to bottom, front to rear. then i let it sit for 2 yrs, and all brake fluid was gone , barely any fluid in the clutch master cylinder ?!, and then tore the slave cylinder out, and as you can see in the pics ^^^, its a mess just from sitting for 2 yrs ?..how ?!...lol. gonna completely rebuild all the clutch parts, got some on order, i hope they are in stock like they said ?..lol.

• Like 2

It ain't over till the fat lady sings ---- worst comes to worst , we send you to a gear reduction builder and get you a custom clutch basket gear built , them couple of extra teeth might get you a wheelie !!!! 

Pandoras Box! In stock after 35 years, you are optimistic my friend 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATC4ever said:

Pandoras Box! In stock after 35 years, you are optimistic my friend 😉

spoke with partzilla today ( they were the only folks that showed to have my parts in stock ) he said my parts are on the truck, and should get here weds or thurs ?. ( and yes..i know better to buy from partzilla ?,but ya gotta do..what ya gotta do !.lol )

• Like 2

never heard from the ebay seller on pics of the clutch basket ?, i'll give him a buzz first thing tues morning.