shadetree

1985 vf700c magna

I mentioned David Silver Spares for vintage Honda parts , here is a link to his site

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/

I punch your clutch basket part number in and it came up not available , but ,  I did see where they have a superseded part number listed for it , not sure if you knew that , the number is down below  

22100-MN2-000

OUTER COMP.,CLUTC !D

This part has been discontinued and can no longer be ordered

Please check back soon as we regularly find new sources of discontinued parts

Part number 22100-MB0-871
has been superceded by
Part number 22100-MN2-000

When I punch that superseded number into e-bay , google and such , I got a lot of hits , some very clean and in the $30 range , with picks of the inside the basket  

https://www.ebay.com   >>>>   ( you know I tried to link you to my search , but the site must think I am a spammer as it won't let me post the search as a link 

But ( again ) , when I look at some of them and scroll to the interchange , some show that part number as fitting the 700 , the 750 and the 45 , but then again , I noticed that the 750 must have been  discontinued in 1984 as it ain't listed in 1985 , I think  that spare clutch you got from Marvin was the 750 which would have made it a 1984  and think you have a 700 which would be an 85 

Hope some of this mess helps ^^^ 

When I punch in that superseded number and check a interchange it comes up with this

Trying for ya Bro , hope it works out for ya , don't jump me if I got a detail wrong here or there , I am have sleeping sometimes >  I am just a drive-by direction guy , not a paid charter service ---  LOL 

Honda Magna 700 VF700C
  1984 Honda Magna 700 VF700C
  1988 Honda Magna 750 VF750C
  1985 Honda Sabre 700 VF700S
  1984 Honda Sabre 700 VF700S
  1985 Honda Shadow 700 VT700C
  1984 Honda Shadow 700 VT700C
  1983 Honda Shadow 750 VT750C
  1983 Honda V45 Magna VF750C
  1982 Honda V45 Magna VF750C
  1983 Honda V45 Sabre VF750S
  1982 Honda V45 Sabre VF750S
  • Like 1

update: just got back from my local honda dealership. mech there said he has no idea how or what causes these to scratch like mine ? ( thats a scary thought coming from a cert mech huh ?..lol ), but he said to run it, so..i will. waiting on parts to come in to put this ole girl back together.

• Like 2

update: well..the saga continues !..lol. i got around to looking over the parts that i removed from my magna on the clutch side, and i wasn't sure where this one large washer went that has these odd marks on it ?, so i looked in my service manual, and it shows a thrust washer on the crank shaft in front of the primary gear ?, only one problem !..it can not be the correct washer !. i looked my model up on partzilla's webs site ( they have good micro fich ), and this washer shows to be number # 13 on the pulse, starter clutch, and it listed it in the list as a washer,splined ?!..hmm..well..this washer is not splined ?, nore is it even the correct size ?, you can tell this by the marks on it when it was bolted down, off center !. and of course...this splined washer is discontinued !..grrr..well..fish located a site called NPN, they have old NOS parts for motorcycles from the 60's to the '80's, i called them, NOT ONLY DID A REAL PERSON ANSWER THE PHONE ?..BUT HE SAID THEY HAVE ONE LEFT IN STOCK ?!. I SAID..I WANT IT..LOL. HOOKED ME UP, PAID, ON ITS WAY. now i worry about all this going together...after looking it over very carefully, i see no way this area will go back together..and go back together right !. it looks to me it just wont happen ?..but i pray i am wrong !. i wont know until i get this washer in my hands..and slide it on the crank ?. to me..i just dont see how its going to work ?, maybe i need to get back on the short yellow bus ?..lol. anyway, here's some pics i took of the subject at hand. if you look at the bottom pic, notice the primary gear, then the lower cut out space , then the splines start again headed outwards. ok, picture this, you get the primary gear installed, then you slide this oem splined washer on, then the starter clutch, which is the round part with the 3 bolt heads you see right ?. here is where i see the problem..if you have an oem splined thrust washer, you side it on after the primary gear, then falls off onto the lower rounded part, then slide the starter clutch on the shaft...WHAT GOOD DOES THIS SPLINED THRUST WASHER DO SITTING DOWN IN THAT GROOVE DO IF ITS TOO THIN ?.

I'll tell you..NOTHING IF ITS NOT THICK ENOUGH ?!. i do not know how thick this oem thrust washer is ?, i will not know until i get it in the mail ?, but i can tell you this !..if its not more than a 1/4 ( roughly ) thick ?, then it serves no reason for even sitting on the shaft !. all parts, primary all the way out to the end of the crank shaft must be flat/even when the crank shaft bolt is put back into the crank to snug the starter clutch up tight ?!. i dont get stumped much ?...but this one has me stumped big time the way the manual and parts fich claim it goes together ?!.

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

• Like 2

I know I scratched my head many times on this one today ------   that splined  washer does look thick in the pic , I would guess about a  1/4 inch , but no way do I  see it covering the gap and making a solid fit on the spline on the other side of the gap ----- my best guesses at this time are , 1)  the engine has been gone into before , maybe that missing washer was put on the wrong side the engine , don't even know if the other side of that shaft is spline the same as this side , maybe  the shaft is pulled over the exact amount you need , 2)  the engine may have been gone into before and the parts are not the right parts for that bike  3) the book is wrong 

Need a Honda original pic of that all together to see where the flywheel sits in regards to the pick up coil 😮🤫

14 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Need a Honda original pic of that all together to see where the flywheel sits in regards to the pick up coil 😮🤫

flywheel has nothing to do with this, as far as i know and can see ?, this motor has never been torn apart. i would never expect an engine to be torn down with 19k miles on it ?, not to say this is the oem odometer on it ?. have a look here --> # 13 https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1985/vf700c-a-magna/pulse-generator-starter-clutch .

• Like 1

Oh? My mistake, i thought that was a flywheelimage.png &  pick up coil there. I was thinking how far either in or out beyond the coil the wheel was would help in determining where it should be.

2 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Oh? My mistake, i thought that was a flywheelimage.png &  pick up coil there. I was thinking how far either in or out beyond the coil the wheel was would help in determining where it should be.

nah bro, what you see here is the starter one-way clutch, flywheel is over on the other side ( left side ). honda put the pick-up coils ( 2 ) right above this starter one-way clutch in this pic. my concern as to why she was so hard to start some times is because if this starter one-way clutch is not centered right under the pick-up coils ?, then yes...this will make her hard to start :-).

• Like 1

washer came in, got clutch installed, took her for a ride, seems to be '' ok '' ?, carbs don't react right to twisting the throttle ?, i can hit 8k in neutral, but in gear going down the road, she wont top out over 5k ?..hmm.

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

• Like 2

update: after spending from midnight last night, until 3:30 am, i pulled the carbs ( was not looking forward to that ! ), one by one, every carb was very clean bowl wise, but one idle jet was clogged up ?, cleaned that, got the rack back in, by then it was 3:30 am, i called it a night. doing a lot of reading online, and my v4 forums, i came to the idea that something was wrong with not getting enough fuel to my carbs ?. keep in mind, i let the old fuel sit in the fuel lines, fuel filter from 2018 ?!, i did not drain all this, just the carb bowls back then. so first thing this morning when i woke up, i called my honda dealership, and asked my parts guy if he had a new fuel filter in stock ?, he said yes, told him i'd be right down to buy it. got home, pulled old filter off, blew out my pump, lines from tank down. put new fuel filter on, buttoned her up, grabbed my helmet , do or die !, final result: LETS JUST SAY YA WISHED IT HAD A SEAT BELT ?!!..she woke the heck up all the way to 5k rpms, and kept on going as long as you could twist the throttle and hang on to the bars ?!!..lol. NOW SHE'S DOING WAS SHE WAS BUILT TO DO...RUN LIKE A SCALDED DOG !!. i'm pretty dang happy my baby is back up and running again !. GET-R-DONE !.

• Like 6

Glad you got it all figured out and running , I know I'll sleep better , LOL 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

from the clutch to fuel issues .... happy she's back top notch. 

brakes, clutch, fuel, battery, now all she needs is a bath !..lol

• Like 1