hcrown280zx

Snow Plow for 97 FourTrax 4X4 recommendations

I'm new to the forum and I purchased a new to me FourTrax and am looking for an economical snow blade solution. Any help out there?

TIA
Herb

Welcome Herb to our Honda forum.  I don't have any recommendations for you but I'm sure there will be someone on here that can give you some ideas.

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

Your probably going to want a 60" blade

60'' blade will be over kill weight wise for this model.

welcome, you can use just about any brand name plow blade on this atv ?, but where you will run into problems is for one, weight ?, and traction ?. what ever size you go with ?, you deff will need to add counter weight to the rear end to get traction. i would recommend at least a min of a 48'' blade width wise. moose makes a popular brand as well as others. the only other problem you will face is finding a plow that will mount to your atv ?. not all plows will mount to this atv model right out of the box ?, you will find it hard to locate a name brand plow that has all the mounting hardware to mount it to this model. i am by no means a plow expert ?!..i'd rather play in it..than work in it !..lol. but what i do know for a fact !, is this atv is not meant to use a plow for heavy duty work, light work plowing ?..sure...all day long !, heavy duty plowing ?, no sir..not made for it, this atv is just not big enough to do heavy duty snow plowing. your call though !. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shadetree said:

this atv is not meant to use a plow for heavy duty work, light work plowing ?..sure...all day long !, heavy duty plowing ?, no sir..not made for it, this atv is just not big enough to do heavy duty snow plowing. your call though !. 

I have multiple of these and I could not agree more with this statement.

They are just not great for attachments as they are designed to have certain weight on the front and back and not much wiggle room.

Imagine riding a person on your front rack only and that is what a big plow will feel like. It won't be ideal. I say the 4' is best because it's roughly the width of the bike.

oh400ex

34 minutes ago, shadetree said:

60'' blade will be over kill weight wise for this model.

I have a 60" on my 300 king quad......

I have a 07 Foreman 500.  Put the WARN 60" plow with their attachment equipment.  Does well.  I plow my driveway and pad.  8" not too unusual.  They have a friendly website to order.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, TBRider said:

I have a 60" on my 300 king quad......

you can't compare your king quad to a trx300, totally different machines/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dennis said:

I have a 07 Foreman 500.  Put the WARN 60" plow with their attachment equipment.  Does well.  I plow my driveway and pad.  8" not too unusual.  They have a friendly website to order.

you are comparing a full size double cab 4x4 truck to a chevy s-10 here !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you are comparing a full size double cab 4x4 truck to a chevy s-10 here !..lol.

Ooops.....OK.  Guess I didn't appreciate the size of his machine  Thanks

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 5:37 PM, hcrown280zx said:

I'm new to the forum and I purchased a new to me FourTrax and am looking for an economical snow blade solution. Any help out there?

TIA
Herb

I replied to you on the other forum—but you didn’t answer my question about which 97 Fourtrax you have? 

How much snow do you usually get or trying to move?

what are you clearing—a short driveway or the road to the mailbox?

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Hey Goober, thanks.  Here in St. Louis we usually get around 24 inches total of snow per year.  About every 3rd year we get it all in one night, but usually 3-6 at a time.  My drive is about 100 feet long and is gravel.

My FourTrax is a 4x4 with a 300 cc engine, TRX300FW.

Thanks

Herb

• Thanks 2

Ok good deal thanks.  I wanted to be sure. Mounting on a TRX300 is not cheap—and I question the effectiveness—just consider a good 2-stage snowthrower as a competing option.

Cycle Country (CC) used to offer the best TRX300 plow setup. They were bought by Kolpin and they were bought by KFI. So possible you can do one-stop shopping at KFI.

a plow setup uses a frame mount, push tube assembly and a blade. It has to be lifted up and down manually or with a winch. So I’m thinking you could be in for $500-$800–unless you buy used or excess pieces.

i have a 93 TRX300FW — mounted a winch on it using a mount from KFI; mount was $100. I bought a KFI ST1700 winch for $200 (wished I bought a Warn). Purchased a used mid-frame CC mount for $65. I used a manual lift kit on the push tube because i swap back n forth from my TRX350A, which is heavier. I bought the manual lift kit for about $100. Bought a manual lift kit compatible CC push tube assy and blade at a Honda shop closure auction for $50.

the part numbers are all in this thread from the other forum. Hate to link this other site, but it’s hot, had a few beers and going fishin brah! LMK any questions you have.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/trx350-to-trx300-plow.117129/post-1136793

• Like 4

A friend of a friend wants to sell this CC plow.  What else would I need to install it?  This whole mount thing is confusing to me.  (Easy on me, I'm new at this)

TIA,

Herb

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 12.41.49 PM.png

22 minutes ago, hcrown280zx said:

A friend of a friend wants to sell this CC plow.  What else would I need to install it?  This whole mount thing is confusing to me.  (Easy on me, I'm new at this)

TIA,

Herb

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 12.41.49 PM.png

you will also need the mounting hardware to attach the plow tubes to the frame, the pull stick if you are not gonna use a winch to lower and lift , other than these parts ?, i have no clue ?..i play in snow..i dont work in it !..lol.

That is a very old CC blade with a mid-frame push tube assy-ol reliable—but it cannot be fitted with the manual lift kit.  Also has the angle iron skids instead of the pucks. I have one but i used to knock off the skids and they’re very hard to find. If you buy this blade—just go slow—<5mph. What’s he want $150-$200?

his blade might be missing the little lift chain and clevis that attaches to the winch

ok you’ll need this mid-frame mount

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353019996593

and a winch and mount. KFI makes the best trx300 winch mount. Make sure to get the Warn winch with the recessed engage/disengage knob — not the external lever type like on the KFI.

EFF17D59-63B2-4AA3-9BF2-E0851761B683.png

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Thanks Goober....can the blade be retrofitted with pucks?  (I have rudimentary welding skills.)

So this mount and my old winch (which works) would be all that I need for this blade?  Maybe some bolts, nuts and a piece of chain as well.

He wants $100 for it.

Nice clean install, by the way.  And Shadetree.....I try not to play or work in the snow....hopefully this will cut down my work just a bit more!

Thanks

Herb

I have a home made plow with similar mounting, I'll take a few pics of it tomorrow for you.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, Goober said:

Mounting on a TRX300 is not cheap—and I question the effectiveness—just consider a good 2-stage snowthrower as a competing option.

This is some sage (someone who has been in the snow too long) type of advice that I think might be the most important thing said in this thread.

Throwers are a dream to use and you said your surface is gravel right?

It is going to be difficult with any plow to avoid gouging into the ground but a thrower doesn't have that concern and is so much more maneuverable. 

Used snowthowers that need a carb clean and oil change to be like new are available.

Go to CL or FB market and just post your budget looking for a snowthower maybe?

oh400ex

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hcrown280zx said:

Thanks Goober....can the blade be retrofitted with pucks?  (I have rudimentary welding skills.)

So this mount and my old winch (which works) would be all that I need for this blade?  Maybe some bolts, nuts and a piece of chain as well.

He wants $100 for it.

Nice clean install, by the way.  And Shadetree.....I try not to play or work in the snow....hopefully this will cut down my work just a bit more!

Thanks

Herb

You could buy or make new shoes OR fab sleeves for the new type. I’m just saying don’t break the ones ya got.

Yeah $100 for that plow is good.

you will need the plow mount and the winch mount.

You will want to remove the plow mount every spring before you go trail riding or it may drag on trails and hit rocks. It’s pretty easy—8 nylocks on 4 u-bolts.

the winch will be the least fun to install. Your old winch might fit — there’s not a lot of room under that fender.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oh400ex said:

This is some sage (someone who has been in the snow too long) type of advice that I think might be the most important thing said in this thread.

Throwers are a dream to use and you said your surface is gravel right?

It is going to be difficult with any plow to avoid gouging into the ground but a thrower doesn't have that concern and is so much more maneuverable. 

Used snowthowers that need a carb clean and oil change to be like new are available.

Go to CL or FB market and just post your budget looking for a snowthower maybe?

oh400ex

With a gravel driveway you always pack down the first snow fall so you're not throwing dirt. I can toss rocks with my snowblower 50'. The cups on the plow can be lifted to avoid digging in till you get a good pack down, I use strictly sand with no salt in the winter as the salt just melts through and doesn't work worth a dam. A set of tire chains is a must for serious plowing, but i agree a small snowblower might be better in this case when he only gets 2' of snow there, I usually get 8' or more here during a winter season and then the ice storms.....

20180206_174205.jpg

• Like 1