Kevnic

What are your upcoming plans for your HONDA?

I have to replace a tie rod, but gonna do both obviously. Didn't really notice it too much till I threw a 60 inch plow on the front. Gonna get the tune up kit on eBay, OEM? Oil filter, spark plug (anyone have any suggestions), fuel filter. 

Replace my stretched out choke cable. Tires are ever so slowly losing air at two corners. Brand new ITP mud lites, don't know if it's a bead seal problem or valve stem. 

Springtime, check and adjust Valves, maybe put a muffler on it. It's starting to get some holes in it.(LMK if anyone has any I go where j can get a New old stock muffler.) Pull the carb off in spring and go thru it. Diff fluids are done.

IMG_20191128_102001208.jpg

Edited by Kevnic
Spelling
  • Like 4

Finding a good muffler may be your biggest challenge. I've only seen OEM fuel filters for the TRX350s and they're about $20 each I think. An OEM air filter is probably your best option too. Tha aftermarket air filters that I've seen delete the OEM diffuser screen which leaves the foam element unsupported. NGK spark plug and either an OEM oil filter or a K&N KN-113. I'd check the cam chain wear while you're adjusting valves as well. Avoid tuneup kits (and any other parts you need) that aren't 100% OEM, cause they're cheap china junk otherwise.

My own spring time plans call for swapping Rancher 420 OEM front disc brakes onto my '00 Rancher. I need to wash that bike too... 🙂 But during these winter months I'll be making FCU gizmos and tinkerin' with a 450 Foreman project in my spare time.

• Like 3

Kevnic , that is a very nice vintage 350 you have there , the old girl looks good for her age !!! 

• Like 1

Well I just spent a little time with my 88 350d in the garage today.  It has been out of commission for a couple months.  It lost spark.  It ended up being the ignition coil.  I ended up getting an NGK replacement for it.  It had a cheap aftermarket pump on it when I bought it.  So today while getting it fired back up I noticed this one is on it's way out.  So I gonna go ahead and order the oem fuel pump for it.  My exhaust had holes in it as well.  I put Jb weld on it did ok but noticed today I have a good size exhaust leak so I'm gonna take it off and try to weld it this time around.  I have a spare cobra exhaust but it's a little too loud for my liking.   My plans are to get the floorboards installed and add a new front bumper with a winch plate.  I think I'm gonna install a 2500# winch on it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Kevnic , that is a very nice vintage 350 you have there , the old girl looks good for her age !!! 

Thank You!

I'd like to ride mine, that would be great lol. Have to rebuild the starter on it, might fix the hand warmers since it's coming into winter.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, superrman77 said:

Well I just spent a little time with my 88 350d in the garage today.  It has been out of commission for a couple months.  It lost spark.  It ended up being the ignition coil.  I ended up getting an NGK replacement for it.  It had a cheap aftermarket pump on it when I bought it.  So today while getting it fired back up I noticed this one is on it's way out.  So I gonna go ahead and order the oem fuel pump for it.  My exhaust had holes in it as well.  I put Jb weld on it did ok but noticed today I have a good size exhaust leak so I'm gonna take it off and try to weld it this time around.  I have a spare cobra exhaust but it's a little too loud for my liking.   My plans are to get the floorboards installed and add a new front bumper with a winch plate.  I think I'm gonna install a 2500# winch on it.  

put a 3/16 steel plate across the frame tubes right in front of the fan, long x wide enough to allow the winch. I put a warn pro vantage 2500-s ( rope ), roller fairlead. I doubt you will find any new bumpers that fit on it ?. no one makes a winch plate that fits on this model, you must have it custom made/cut.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, shadetree said:

put a 3/16 steel plate across the frame tubes right in front of the fan, long x wide enough to allow the winch. I put a warn pro vantage 2500-s ( rope ), roller fairlead. I doubt you will find any new bumpers that fit on it ?. no one makes a winch plate that fits on this model, you must have it custom made/cut.

I bought a used bumper for it where they already made a plate for it.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, retro said:

Finding a good muffler may be your biggest challenge. I've only seen OEM fuel filters for the TRX350s and they're about $20 each I think. An OEM air filter is probably your best option too. Tha aftermarket air filters that I've seen delete the OEM diffuser screen which leaves the foam element unsupported. NGK spark plug and either an OEM oil filter or a K&N KN-113. I'd check the cam chain wear while you're adjusting valves as well. Avoid tuneup kits (and any other parts you need) that aren't 100% OEM, cause they're cheap china junk otherwise.

My own spring time plans call for swapping Rancher 420 OEM front disc brakes onto my '00 Rancher. I need to wash that bike too... 🙂 But during these winter months I'll be making FCU gizmos and tinkerin' with a 450 Foreman project in my spare time.

How big of a job is the cam chain? I am mechanically inclined, and valve adjustments are no problem. Thanks for any insight and tips in advance.

Kevin

Changing the cam chain isn't very hard, just need a good set of tools, new chain and gaslets. The rocker cover, upper cam sprocket, right side cover and clutches (oil pump too if I remember right) gotta be taken off. Its pretty routine... the service manual covers everything well.

• Like 4

Start a thread when ya get ready to work on your 350 so we can follow along. 🙂

• Like 5

Plans? Likely parking it for the winter, though i will ride it now & then to keep the battery good. PITArse to get at the Rincon Batt IMO...😒 

But I imagine i will be on it this weekend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevnic said:

How big of a job is the cam chain? I am mechanically inclined, and valve adjustments are no problem. Thanks for any insight and tips in advance.

Kevin

please start a thread in the utility section, and we'll drop in, give you some pointers :-).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, superrman77 said:

I bought a used bumper for it where they already made a plate for it.

I hope for your sake, this bumper bolts to the frame ?..if it does not ?, your going to pull the front rack apart !..lol. this model is NOT light by any means !!!. any winching much be done from the frame on this model.

• Haha 2

I plan to drive mine, now that it is rebuilt! Heading to the south of Ireland on Friday to drive it all over the place and enjoy it!

Might consider a winch on it next year but for now I'm not too pushed.

• Like 3

This winter, I'll be pulling the motor, splitting the cases as one side has a crack & leaks oil. I have to replace the Wide Open 424 cable as it's almost broke. Planning on buying a front locker to install, & just giver a 110% go over.... 

• Like 2

my son's early xmas present was a 91 trx200d that was a mess.   plan to finish taking her back to stock form and making it as usable as a 91 was back in the day.   it was gutted, bent and built up with parts off other honda's that happened to fit from the kids that had it before us. 

IMG_6266.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cflor said:

my son's early xmas present was a 91 trx200d that was a mess.   plan to finish taking her back to stock form and making it as usable as a 91 was back in the day.   it was gutted, bent and built up with parts off other honda's that happened to fit from the kids that had it before us. 

IMG_6266.jpeg

I see you found us !. those D models are pretty nifty, spec the rear trunk !.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, superrman77 said:

@superrman77i have an OEM exhaust on 1 86 and Cobra on the other. I can’t tell the difference in sound. The Cobra is a glass-pack Have you replaced the packing?

try that—remove the screw holding the baffle and slide it out—my guess is packing is loose or gone

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, shadetree said:

I see you found us !. those D models are pretty nifty, spec the rear trunk !.

i did.   thank you for the tip.   I do like this little thing.   it's pretty fun to ride and working on has been actually not too bad either   ( compared to wrenching on a superjet)

12 minutes ago, cflor said:

i did.   thank you for the tip.   I do like this little thing.   it's pretty fun to ride and working on has been actually not too bad either   ( compared to wrenching on a superjet)

depending on what all parts you may need in the future ?, I think ???..my bud may still have one or two of these in his bone yard ?, keep us updated on your build !.

Just now, shadetree said:

depending on what all parts you may need in the future ?, I think ???..my bud may still have one or two of these in his bone yard ?, keep us updated on your build !.

i will indeed.   my buddy that run's a place here never gets these parts so that is great to hear!!!!   thank you 

On 12/1/2019 at 3:48 AM, Fishfiles said:

Very nice indeed . . . . those large racks just weren't seen on the 350's in Canada.  

• Like 1

Was lucky and found a near new '99 450ES (ketchup) . . . . took a month to go over all the things that needed looking at, and the OEM muffler has something loose inside.  Kimpex makes a very high quality replacement muffler for the 450's and they are about 1/2 the price.  There is one on my '99 450S (mustard) . . . . . . 

Thinking of cutting the side out of the OEM piece and welding/replacing the loose stuff.  Open it up where the heat shield will hide the surgery.  New OEM is outrageous if you can find it.  The ketchup is completely stock with OEM tires and rims.  It's quite surprising how nimble they were in stock form.  😎

• Like 4