87Iroc

Front Wheel Bearings/Brakes-450 Foreman

They gotta be super tight in the bore or you'll have wobble.  I think @toodeep has used the aluminum from a beer can to shim a bearing tight in the bore. 

You might have undersized bearings, or you might have a worn out knuckle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

They gotta be super tight in the bore or you'll have wobble.  I think @toodeep has used the aluminum from a beer can to shim a bearing tight in the bore. 

You might have undersized bearings, or you might have a worn out knuckle. 

I am going to install new brakes this Friday probably and will look at it again then. I told Shade I think knuckle is shot as on left side the top of tire moves an inch in and out.  Right side could be undersized bearings as it doesn’t move much.  I don’t want to throw Honda bearings at left side as I’ll just buy a new knuckle assy if I have to replace. Will check popcan trick if I see it has a lot of slop in bearing

thanks

Edited by 87Iroc

If you haven't bought brakes yet, you can get 05-11 Foreman, 05-14 Rubicon, or 06-current Rincon knuckles, calipers, and hub/rotor assemblies and bolt them on at the ball joints.  Will give you disc brakes using factory parts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

If you haven't bought brakes yet, you can get 05-11 Foreman, 05-14 Rubicon, or 06-current Rincon knuckles, calipers, and hub/rotor assemblies and bolt them on at the ball joints.  Will give you disc brakes using factory parts.

Well, crap. I didn't know that. I have a Super ATV kit on the way. Be here tomorrow.

Had the same thing happen on a foreman was working on last year

ATV had been ridden too long with wobbling CV ends and bad bearings

Ended up wallowing out the knuckle a bit, knocked out new bearings, got 2 new used knuckle off ebay for 40.00

put new bearings in and problem solved

My friend used some loctite type bearing sealer that fills in bearing clearances up to a certain amount(cant remember) once on his beater wheeler that

has more baling wire that OEM parts. It worked well  and is still working but thats just helpful if your in a pinch or similar, not really the right way to do if you want it done right

I think your knuckles are wallowed out and would look to replace them after making sure that bearings are ok

• Like 2

I pulled worst of 2 bearings back out.  Cv shaft in place.  It slid out easy with my fingernails.  Measured compared to what i presume is A original Honda bearing I pulled out(no seals) and od is identical.  

presumption is spindle is shot.  Will order one here at some point but issue for the winter. 

drinking can of diet mt dew now for intermediate fix hopefully.  Lol

Edited by 87Iroc

Left side on.  Hub with pop can feels rock solid now.  Will see with tire. 

AA614BF2-40B2-4051-910C-3B4303EB2D41.jpeg

• Like 3

Those look sexy! I never knew of the pop can trick. If I ever get a “hair” of play they get replaced!! I’ve seen some guys drive er & be like ah it’s a Honda.. supposed have play! But they just beatin out the hub!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Those look sexy! I never knew of the pop can trick. If I ever get a “hair” of play they get replaced!! I’ve seen some guys drive er & be like ah it’s a Honda.. supposed have play! But they just beatin out the hub!

making up for years of abuse before I bought this one. 

• Like 2

Grinding was a bit more excessive than directions let on.  

098C07ED-81A6-45C0-B842-56170EEE4EC3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great job on the pop can trick!

I love fixes that for free you get a great result.

Being diet you didn't even sugar spike yourself 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

I pulled worst of 2 bearings back out.  Cv shaft in place.  It slid out easy with my fingernails.  Measured compared to what i presume is A original Honda bearing I pulled out(no seals) and od is identical.  

presumption is spindle is shot.  Will order one here at some point but issue for the winter. 

drinking can of diet mt dew now for intermediate fix hopefully.  Lol

Aluminum can is going to smash real quick , should have used a steel  Poke 'n' Bean can , LOL ------   if you want to fix it solid till your next bearing change when you get that  new knuckle , or maybe never change the knuckle  , get some Bearing Retainer , it is kind of like Lock-Tite , but is made to do just what you need , tighten up a loose bearing in the bore ---- when it comes time to change the bearing again it will be very hard to impossible to remove the bearing race without using heat from a torch , that stuff is awesome , have saved some high dollar housings with it before  ------   would bet that seal ring groove you pic'ed was caused by that bearing floating around in the knuckle letting the cv-shaft spindle flex around 

• Like 3

that's going back to baling wire patch IMO..... as AKATV said ... might as well fix it right, and not have to worry about it... 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Aluminum can is going to smash real quick , should have used a steel  Poke 'n' Bean can , LOL ------   if you want to fix it solid till your next bearing change when you get that  new knuckle , or maybe never change the knuckle  , get some Bearing Retainer , it is kind of like Lock-Tite , but is made to do just what you need , tighten up a loose bearing in the bore ---- when it comes time to change the bearing again it will be very hard to impossible to remove the bearing race without using heat from a torch , that stuff is awesome , have saved some high dollar housings with it before  ------   would bet that seal ring groove you pic'ed was caused by that bearing floating around in the knuckle letting the cv-shaft spindle flex around 

Thought about it...but figured I'd try Alum can first as it was suggested above. Someone on my FB feed said I should have floated it in JB Weld.

. If the alum smashes out, I'll likely replace the entire assy.

55 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that's going back to baling wire patch IMO..... as AKATV said ... might as well fix it right, and not have to worry about it... 

I looked at used hubs. Powersports Nation wants like 80 bucks for a used one. Ones on ebay are varying in cost but the cheap ones look no better than mine.

Rocky MOuntain ATV has new hubs/bearings/seals(and I think a ball joint) for like 145.  When a used hub is going for 75-90 and the honda bearings are 35 each plus seals....the 145ish for a new assy is looking pretty good for a way to go to fix it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh believe me i know the cost adds up.... patching is just something i can't wrap my head around ... lol!

yep and the brakes were a stretch purchase. Should have just replaced wheel cylinders and called it good. 😞. Wife hasn’t said anything.  Yet.  Lol

i did check the front tires after final assy.  The hubs  are rock solid for now. 

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 1

87 , I am so happy your brakes are working good , Shade would have run us into the ground so far , we would need a 6ft ladder  ---- 87 , hey m shhhh , if you have any problem , don't post it up with letting me try to help you figure it out first  , LOL 

• Like 1

Did the manual that came with that new SuperATV mention which way the arch of the caliper cooling holes should arch , use to never know when the holes first appeared , my older kits don't have holes , gave myself a headache figuring which is right ---- I think you got it right in  your pic  , was that from knowledge or pot luck ??? 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Did the manual that came with that new SuperATV mention which way the arch of the caliper cooling holes should arch , use to never know when the holes first appeared , my older kits don't have holes , gave myself a headache figuring which is right ---- I think you got it right in  your pic  , was that from knowledge or pot luck ??? 

it’s how I’ve seen them on cars but I don’t think it matters.  Didn’t read close enough to know if it told me but instructions were very good.  

just looked.  Two pics.  Both have different orientation. 

https://www.superatv.com/amfile/file/download/file/5091/product/5005/

Edited by 87Iroc

i would think this rotor should go on the right hand side ..kind of would make sence to me any water mud etc would slung outwards instead of being pulled inwards ... causing more pad replacement issues ... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i would think this rotor should go on the right hand side ..kind of would make sence to me any water mud etc would slung outwards instead of being pulled inwards ... causing more pad replacement issues ... 

image.jpg

They’re reversible so I could put either side either way.  I think the centrifugal force of tires spinning would fling it away.  It’s just holes for bling.  Not sure if it’s for water or not.  Might be

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

image.jpg

Yes I agree with you Wilson -- should be on the right side

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

image.jpg

This pic ^^^^ is the right way  for the  left side of the ATV , so this one pic'ed above would be wrong if put on the right side  --   doubt it really matters ,this is not a Ducati stopping from 205mph