BoCephas

250 FourTrax replacement carb?

Not too tight there Bo; don’t want to strip those threads or you’ll be up the creek. 
Aluminum not steel.

• Like 1

Getting ready to put carb back together and managed to drop the float. Needless to say, it broke. None of the local dealers have one, and only one thinks he can order. Fishfiles, do those 2 carbs you have,have floats?

• Like 1

Yes , both are complete carbs 

The float is still available 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1986/trx250-a-fourtrax-250/carburetor

image.png

1 GASKET SET
16010-HA0-681 
$17.98
$17.56
2 NEEDLE SET, JET
16012-HA8-003
Unavailable  
3 FLOAT SET
16013-HA0-003 
$34.20
$33.40
3 FLOAT SET
16013-HN5-671 
$34.20
$33.40

• Like 2

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the information. I guess dealers only have certain sources they buy from? By the way, I got the oring for the boot, now for the float.   
By the way, how can I get those two carbs from you ?

Send me a Private Message with your shipping address and I will send you my e-mail address for PayPal ---------- 

I'll try and get them boxed up and get it to the post office today , but can't promise today as we are having an all day  LSU football first game party and going four wheeling early this morning to fill deer feeders , change cards and then do some exploring and getting dirty , and I just remembered about  my buddy and his son coming over early to shot their new guns  ----  

I was asking about that old snack shack  behind the court house in Hahnville ^^^  , cause that guy made me and my buddy a horse sausage sandwich one day after Katrina when he was setting the generator pack up and the machine broke and I fixed it  , we were really hungry and he really never served lunch , it wasn't on the menu , that old guy was a character ---  LOL 

• Like 1

Great deal. BTW Fish your lettering is architect quality compared to mine!

Bo get yourself some plumbers flux brushes, little dental brushes and bamboo-handled Cotton tipped detailing swabs and pipe-cleaners. You can break the bamboo handles of the swabs and use them as scrapers to remove orings and seals—so you don’t gouge and scratch seal mating surfaces. Get some Deep Creep, Berryman Chemtool, and a couple 2 quart plastic tubs. 

Now get organized Like in my picture! lay out your carb on an old cutting board with all your supplies close at hand and keep those parts from rolling off your work table.

i spray the whole carb down with Deep Creep before disassembly. Soaks into those screw threads. Then i use a flux brush to dislodge and remove surface dirt—keep using Deep Creep until the outside is clean. Then start disassembly.

732B8C6F-069A-439F-BBFE-53D1F447EE8A.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

Gopher thanks for the layout idea. I use something similar. Never heard of deep creep. Will have to look into that

6 hours ago, BoCephas said:

No idea how to send a private message. ...

one way is to just click on the handle / name over to the left ...(here on the thread) . that will take you to their  profile page ... then look to the top click on message, click that .. ... and your good to go.. 

image.jpg

Opened them up and got a pic , not too bad at all inside -----  I got them in a box , going to the post office tomorrow 

fullsizeoutput_d48.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Bo' I hope the carb fixes your problem , should be in the mail today ----

I see the float is made a little different on the two carbs and the bowl of the carb on the left has the primer passage , looks like everything else is the same ----

I would clean it well before hooking it up  -----   How do you plan on cleaning the carb ,  do you have a gallon can of Berryman carb cleaner to soak the carb in ?  I think Goober likes to boil them in lemon juice , I have never tried that , but they sure do look really clean afterwards 

Think I messed up my last post. Goober mentioned using deep creep, I usually just spray with carb cleaner and scrub, but I’ll head to Napa and see what they have. Appreciate you getting them coming this way

Walmart has Deep Creep and Berryman Chemtool 

I don’t soak my carbs or boil them.

i spray them down with Deep Creep and brush off all the outside dirt. Don’t spray them with cleaner yet cause you could ruin some parts.

Then i disassemble them—inspect condition of every part. Sometimes you will find the proBlem like incorrectly assembled pilot screw or chunks in jets. Also remove the primer pump.

completely disassembled. Pour some Chemtool in your little plastic tub. Use as little cleaner as it takes to clean each part. Brush it clean with your brushes and pipe cleaners. keep dirt out of those passages

important! This is why i do not soak my carbs in used fluid: Carb with the primer pumps have these little channels going thru the bowl and body, leading to a tiny orifice in the carb throat. Soaking in used fluid increases the likelihood that you’ll get debris in carb channels. Also, soaking for long periods allows a galvanic pathway between dissimilar metals on the carb for corrosion.

I’m real particular and usually go thru some extra unnecessary steps, but i don’t do this for a living—it’s a labor of love.

A thot about ultrasonics.  My lab has a 2 gallon ultrasonic cleaner with a water bath—the manager puts parts in jars filled with cleaning agent (sometimes methanol) and runs the cycle—this allows cleaning under ultrasonic conditions without any cleaning agent off gassing into the lab. 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Bo' , the package has been dropped off , the Post Office lady said Thursday maybe , Friday for sure , I'll send you a tracking number later on 

Was talking with Shade and looking at the pics of the two carbs I sent you and we think the bowl with the primer is a 300 bowl on the bottom of the 250 carb , the bowls are physically the same except for the primer , the primer won't function on  that carb , just use your bowl 

Everyone cleans carbs different , hundred ways to skin a cat --------    my method , take it completely apart , brush as much loose dirt as I can off of it , so it don't contaminate my gallon of BerryMan Carb cleaner , throw all the hard parts and the body in the carb cleaner can for a 12- 24 hour soak , then blow every little hole out with compressed air , if it is still dirty and I ain't in no hurry , I'll brush it down and soak it again 

Been wanting to try the boil in lemon juice thing , maybe I should throw one in the shrimp/crayfish  boil water after cooking , LOL 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Been wanting to try the boil in lemon juice thing , maybe I should throw one in the shrimp/crayfish  boil water after cooking , LOL 

Active ingredient is citric acid and you can get pure crystals for cheap. Juice works good but not as well as mixture of soap/degreaser and acid. Strain it first if you try it lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BoCephas said:

Ok Fishfiles I'll be looking for it!

I think we are on first name bases now , you can call me fish , Bo' ----  LOL