oh400ex

Honda ES EFI Discussion

I love our Honda as much as the next guy but everyone makes mistakes. (ES and EFI)

I just don't like ES (Electric Shift) personally but at least there is a bypass. 

I really dislike EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) in the form it was implemented into the Rancher 420. 

My biggest complaint is that there is no bypass to manually start the bike if the starter goes, even if the battery is still hot enough to run the EFI

Is there a way to start the bike other than wheel start? Anyone spun the starter with a string as a makeshift pull-start?

If you had a dead starter, your buddy is on a dirt bike and no ability to roll down hill could you get it going? (Assuming you have a jump-box and full tool set on you)

Thank you for reading!

oh400ex

only easy way to fix this problem is for one..own a manual shift, and two..for the trx420, you can install the pull starter on the rear end like most other atvs that have them, ( not kick starter models ).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shadetree said:

only easy way to fix this problem is for one..own a manual shift, and two..for the trx420, you can install the pull starter on the rear end like most other atvs that have them, ( not kick starter models ).

I had no idea this product existed...

For anyone also like me he is talking about a Recoil Start Conversion Kit that would bolt on and solve my complaint.

Honda thinks of everything but may not implement it to save cost deal here I am guessing.

Thank you again Shade! I'll be recommending this add on.

oh400ex

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I had no idea this product existed...

For anyone also like me he is talking about a Recoil Start Conversion Kit that would bolt on and solve my complaint.

Honda thinks of everything but may not implement it to save cost deal here I am guessing.

Thank you again Shade! I'll be recommending this add on.

oh400ex

yeah..i do not know why honda left the recoil starter off on the trx420's ?..maybe like you said...to save cost ?..but they are optional on them. i also need to state that you need more than the recoil i think it was ?, there is a sub-harness that has to be attached when installing the recoil starter , i am not 100% sure on this ?. just pointing this out, and you are welcome ! :-).

oh..incase ya did not notice ?, the right hand side panel has a cut-out already to grab the pull starter handle, not sure if you seen this ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

I love our Honda as much as the next guy but everyone makes mistakes. (ES and EFI)

I just don't like ES (Electric Shift) personally but at least there is a bypass. 

I really dislike EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) in the form it was implemented into the Rancher 420. 

My biggest complaint is that there is no bypass to manually start the bike if the starter goes, even if the battery is still hot enough to run the EFI

Is there a way to start the bike other than wheel start? Anyone spun the starter with a string as a makeshift pull-start?

If you had a dead starter, your buddy is on a dirt bike and no ability to roll down hill could you get it going? (Assuming you have a jump-box and full tool set on you)

Thank you for reading!

oh400ex

Don't waste your money and time -- buy booster pack --- if the battery is dead the pull can't start the bike.

The pull start on my TRX 420 auto/es - EFI-- Has a pull start kit that came with a new harness, condenser, rectifier (diode) and relay. It will not start on a dead battery or battery disconnected. It also states with the instructions that the pull start is only to be used to start the engine when the battery is low. So in my case the pull start is no good to me if the battery is dead and they can fail when needed.

I did some testing on my TRX 420 before – This what I have found as soon as the key is turn on the console lamps discharged the condenser right away, before I could pull the pull start.

Also check the system out and found that the condenser has to power the following.
Engine stop relay
Fuel pump relay to start fuel pump
Fuel injector 
Ignition coil
Light up console lamps

I carry a booster pack when biking by myself.

• Like 3

The Canadian bikes all come with a pull cord standard not sure if Maine and Alaska bikes have them standard

20200818_155509.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Don't waste your money and time -- buy booster pack --- if the battery is dead the pull can't start the bike.

The pull start on my TRX 420 auto/es - EFI-- Has a pull start kit that came with a new harness, condenser, rectifier (diode) and relay. It will not start on a dead battery or battery disconnected. It also states with the instructions that the pull start is only to be used to start the engine when the battery is low. So in my case the pull start is no good to me if the battery is dead and they can fail when needed.

I did some testing on my TRX 420 before – This what I have found as soon as the key is turn on the console lamps discharged the condenser right away, before I could pull the pull start.

Also check the system out and found that the condenser has to power the following.
Engine stop relay
Fuel injector 
Ignition coil
Light up console lamps

this ^^^^..is why i'll stick with manual shift, carb models !...lol. way to many electrical parts needed just to get it to run ?..NO THANKS !..LOL.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Engine stop relay
Fuel injector 
Ignition coil
Light up console lamps

Totally agree that a jump-box is a must have!

I know I was rambling on a bit in the OP but the scenario I was speaking of is one where the starter died and the battery is either hot or you are carrying extra power.

Unfortunately my friend found himself stranded in the exact scenario I described and had to take the ride of shame on the back of his buddy's dirt bike to get a tow machine. He had his box on the back which included a full toolkit and portable jump starter but still had to leave it.

My current booster is an old Everstart model from Walmart that I replaced the original lead acid battery with a cheap Lithium drop-in and it never fails to start anything.

oh400ex

What year an model.... there are a few different part numbers

08U70-HR3-A60 & 08U70-HR3-A40

19 minutes ago, TBRider said:

What year an model.... there are a few different part numbers

08U70-HR3-A60 & 08U70-HR3-A40

The one I am currently working on is a 2008 TRX420TE 

If I'm not mistaken that would call for the A40 part number but I do not know the difference if anyone would care to explain.

I didn't see the 08 listed for that part number, I think my pn is for 15 or newer

26 minutes ago, TBRider said:

A60 is for the dtc models and the A40 is the fs models

DTC and FS model? What do those acronyms mean?

Diagnostic Trouble Code?

Direct to Consumer? 😄

This bike feels like a FFS model :badjoke:

Edit: FS is foot-shift isn't it?

Edited by oh400ex
​🤦‍♂️​

Sorry its dct, dual clutch transmission, and yes fs is a foot shift with the single clutch.

• Like 1