87Iroc

450S back together

Thanks for clueing me in to where some stuff went Shade.  Gotta put in a hardware order for a few clips/etc to get it right again.  But I did best I could with hardware in hand.  

here she is after 10 weeks.  Finally has plastic reinstalled. 

A3AFC331-A3CA-4B0C-BDD2-FF76D0DBBE9F.jpeg

2F4E81C2-6205-4B91-9EB5-E1D5D7375D22.jpeg

C61C4A43-E921-4DAD-9E4D-AFA77A00DFA4.jpeg

4160564B-6B2B-40C5-B3E6-B749F18B4AFD.jpeg

• Like 6

looks good..cept those stupid led lights on the front ?!..lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

just noticed those rims are not oem as well !, look like rincon rims ?.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shadetree said:

I don't know actually. Its another Honda. I thought Rancher previous owner said...but I think FishFiles or someone in Chat said Rincon's came with Alum Rims.

I like them. Tires are like new. Still have little nubs on them.  I suspect the original owner(not previous owner) put them on and tires at same time.

Looking good 87iroc --------- I like me some LEDs 

Must have been on the weekend if I mentioned  Ricon rims , lol   ---  I have  a couple of sets of them aluminum rims  in the shed and a set on a 300 , I don't have a clue what they came off of , I got one set from a garage sale , the others were  "Take Off's " from the Honda dealer , so they  were on a Honda for sure 

Thanks!

I like the LEDs too, but understand Shade's desire to keep things looking stock. 

I did go out for a ride around tonight after dark. Fancy LEDs didnt' come on with switch. Gotta sort out the wiring issue. I thought I'd had them turned on when I bought it before I pulled the fender. Not sure what's wrong...but I'll get it sorted.

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking good 87, bet you wondered if you would get it back again.  Sure looks alot like mine except for the LED's and those grips or deflectors on the ends of the handlebars.....bet the light problem is something simple, maybe even a fuse...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

Looking good 87, bet you wondered if you would get it back again.  Sure looks alot like mine except for the LED's and those grips or deflectors on the ends of the handlebars.....bet the light problem is something simple, maybe even a fuse...

Thanks! Yah I thought about parting it out a time or two.  Previous owner wants it back.  Lol.

yep.  I was gonna check wiring diagram and see if I can figure it out.  look at fuses as well. There has been a New handlebar switch since they worked last time.  If I am only imagining they worked When I bought it then there’s been a new main harness since as well. Gonna see if maybe switch I bought on eBay has a bad aux light switch or if there was a wiring tweak to old one. 

Edited by 87Iroc

On 8/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, shadetree said:

Rubicon wheels.  Rincon are IRS/ shallow dish on the rears and the fronts.

I have those on most of my machines.  Lightweight, strong, and stock Honda. 

On those lights, just check your leads and see if you have power with the switch on.  Green is ground, blue should be + high beam.

On 8/24/2020 at 11:22 AM, jeepwm69 said:

On those lights, just check your leads and see if you have power with the switch on.  Green is ground, blue should be + high beam.

Will do. Figured I'd start with the basics first. Wish I'd have figured it out before fender went on....but somehow I'll manage! I', 75% sure they came on before I pulled the fender off when I bought it.

Edited by 87Iroc

Did you check the fuse and voltage to the fuse ?  Spray some WD40 or such into the headlight switch and work it back and forth , might have crud in the switch 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

Will do. Figured I'd start with the basics first. Wish I'd have figured it out before fender went on....but somehow I'll manage! I', 75% sure they came on before I pulled the fender off when I bought it.

Just tap into the headlight wires.  Should be a plug somewhere  on the underside right around where the front rack goes through the fender on the left/ drivers side.

You can get at the plug between the lights and the harness pretty easy on the 450 with the fender on  ----- 

did you know you can ( could ) buy a front headlight pod  lift kit bracket for the 450s , not sure if they are still available , it is like 4"s of lift , LOL ----I have the 4 inch  on my 2002 450 and copied it to like 8 inches of lift on my 2000  450  and I never had to extend any wiring  , fairly easy to do , if the bracket isn't available any more from HighLifter  ---- I also stuck a LED flush mount pod into the headlight of the 2000  

Something else I noticed on your bike , the mud flap at the bottom on the left side is right against the tire , you got a bigger gap on the right side for some reason , maybe the plastic is just out of shape a bit ---- I mounted some angle brackets to the floor boards , put the mud flaps behind that after cutting some off the bottom , keeps them from ever getting caught up in the tire and bent around and it looks better 

You can see the aluminum angle pieces holding the mud flares on the rear in this pic , that I was trying to explain 

IMG_8286.JPG

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Something else I noticed on your bike , the mud flap at the bottom on the left side is right against the tire , you got a bigger gap on the right side for some reason , maybe the plastic is just out of shape a bit ---- I mounted some angle brackets to the floor boards , put the mud flaps behind that after cutting some off the bottom , keeps them from ever getting caught up in the tire and bent around and it looks better 

It sat on those mudflaps for 9 weeks gradually settling...so suspect that's why they are closer on one side than the other. The left one is chewed up a bit at the bottom. I'll take a look at tying them back to the running boards. 

There is a plug up under there that I plugged in. It is the factory harness 3 pin? connector that connects to those lights. Gotta see if there's power there or not. If not, start backtracking. 

Can you get to the left handlebar switch plug with the fender on? Its mounted to the top of the frame. Not sure...haven't looked at it yet. 

I did not know you could buy a headlight pod/kit/thing. Not quite following exactly what you're talkign about. You talking about something that actually moves the headlight above the rack more so it'll see over stuff mounted to the rack?

• Like 1

!....rereading this thread. A few ideas on the lights I hadn't seen

Thanks guys. I'll trouble shoot while I"m putting the new brakes on.

• Like 1

Some people just pull them back with electrical tie straps , one way to bend them back to shape is deflate a football or basket ball ,what ever fits , stick it in between the tire and mud flap and inflate it over night 

Exactly on the headlight pod lift , it raises the pod  up so it shines over things on the front rack , you might see it in this pic over the oil cooler , there are also led pods in the front fenders that you can't see in this pic , I hooked up the front fenders lights and the head light pod on the OEM handle bar  switch of the bike , the low beam was the fenders , and the high beam was the pod , but , only one or the other was on at a time , couldn't do them both at the same time , so I toggled switched the pod , I think  a diode would be needed to pull off high and low beam together on high and just fender on low --- 

fullsizeoutput_d22.jpeg

Here  are some better pics of the hitch mod , you could pull this off easy , 98-2001 the hitch was welded to the tube , 2002-2004 the hitch was bolted to the tube , this hitch is on the 2000 ---- got a couple of different offset hitches with balls , flea markets and garage sales are a good source to find them cheaper 

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

• Like 3

It sat on those mudflaps for 9 weeks gradually settling...so suspect that's why they are closer on one side than the other. The left one is chewed up a bit at the bottom. I'll take a look at tying them back to the running boards.

does yours have the fender stays in the front , because it should have ... but i see alot screws .. holding the flares to the plastic, which would tell me maybe the stays were removed ... and if it was me .... I'd loose those LEDs, and go back stock... if your serious about lighting ... you need to Check with @Z7What

image.jpg

Number 4 and 5 are there on mine. I hooked them back up. Yah, lots of self tapping screws. I hope to pull them out and put the proper pop rivets back in...but they drilled extra holes, so we'll see.

• Like 1

good deal... your not alone my left flare is also turned in some .... ive see this issue on alot on the 300 4wd models ... but i figured it would be much more of the right hand side .. because of the exhaust heat ... 

Tracking lights tonight. No power to plug under front fender.  Pulled tank.  Put old light switch on to check if old one worked with LEDs.  It does.  Brought it to bench and dismantled it as it’s old and faded and tired.  Found this under tape. 

brown and black wire appears to T up in switch in an ugly manner. Yellow and red wire stripped too for some reason(I think push start switch was cheap swapped at some point from another unit).  

checked eBay switch on atv.  No power from switch to led harness.  I think from wiring I should have power if I’m reading it right. Think that the used light switch is bad on used item I bought. 

E61AE4B1-43D4-4C8C-B32A-BEAB45A221FA.jpeg

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 1