oh400ex

Restoration | 1991 Honda XR80R

Hey all,

This is the beginning of a restoration project for me.

Picked up a non-running but decent shape 1991 Honda XR80R dirt bike.

This is the same model I rode when I was a kid and it is smaller than I remember. 😁

Previous owner didn't know (or didn't tell) me much about the bike other than that it sat for a few years.

Someone put the seat cover and grips on it recently but that's mostly it for new parts.

I checked compression and spark before I left and it was leaking gas so definitely had carburetor issues but I loaded it up.

Since taking these pictures I was able to verify that the carburetor is hooped.

Missing choke mechanism and several other components that don't come in a rebuild kit.

The chain and sprockets that are on it are not matched and I don't know who would even try but they did anyway.

Both side panels and the muffler cover are the biggest missing pieces.

There is also a crack(s) in the plastic gas tank so that will likely need welded or replaced.

Going to share the process with you folks but the idea is to make her ride-able again.

My grand plan includes a rear shock upgrade, white powder coating on the frame, fixing all the plastics and overall making it look and feel like new.

I am not a fan of the blue so that will be changed.

Likely will need to get into the engine at some point but very strong compression for an old bike and I'm not afraid of engine work. (Especially small ones like this)

Thank you for looking!

20200825_144037_HDR.jpg

20200825_144051_HDR.jpg

20200825_144058.jpg

20200825_144116.jpg

20200825_144140.jpg

• Like 1

That’s awesome. For sure a fun lil project. The bike from my past I’d like to get my hands on is a KX80. I know a guy when we were kids who out ran the cops multiple times in that lil 2 stroke!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Won't let me view it 

Hmm. Maybe try it again.

The link takes me to the album like it should. Not sure why it wouldn't work.

1 minute ago, oh400ex said:

Hmm. Maybe try it again.

The link takes me to the album like it should. Not sure why it wouldn't work.

Maybe cause it should be downloaded to the site ! 

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe cause it should be downloaded to the site ! 

I agree but not sure how to upload a video. If you click on the bottom right it has sound on Imgur.

I tried to embed but the forum no like.

2 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I agree but not sure how to upload a video. If you click on the bottom right it has sound on Imgur.

I tried to embed but the forum no like.

I am with you on that , I can't load videos to the site , unless it is loaded to you-tube and linked 

XR's are great bikes.

This is my 2003 400. It has about 7 hours on it since new.

060.jpg

058.jpg

057.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Big Bird said:

XR's are great bikes.

060.jpg

058.jpg

057.jpg

Very clean Big Bird !!  Did you refurbish that one or is it all original ? Immaculate !!! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Very clean Big Bird !!  Did you refurbish that one or is it all original ? Immaculate !!! 

22 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Being that it has 7 hours on it I would hope it's all original 🤣

I think the engine on that is really similar to my 400ex (00 and 04 models)

Would have likely gotten hurt if I went with that instead of a quad back in the day.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, Fishfiles said:

All original. I know the complete history of the bike since new. That'd where I know it is about 7 hours on the bike.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Big Bird said:

All original. I know the complete history of the bike since new. That'd where I know it is about 7 hours on the bike.

I never seen your text when I first viewed it , the big pics must have blocked it , them Honda Hoarders I bet will pay you good bucks for that one ----- I now if it had a license plate holder , blinkers and lights , I would love to ride that around the back roads here 

I payed $3000 Canadian for it off my friend. 7 hours all original. I like stuff that is in good shape. Turn key.

• Like 3

Got my new (Shadetree approved) Chi Long brand carburetor from eBay today and put it in the bike.

When first started it began to rev up like the throttle was open so after attempting to reposition the needle slide I noticed it was not fully seated.

The issue turned out to be that the throttle and cable that was on the bike was not perfectly matched. It was a bit too short (even after adjustment) which caused the slide not to fully seat. I ended up grinding a bit of the plastic throttle catch mechanism away to give it the needed extra play.

Once everything was sorted and I changed the oil again and we went for a first flight.

It runs amazing and after adjusting the carb and timing chain, is a very quiet engine. I took it straight through the woods with no trail like I used to.

It performed beautifully the whole way. Such a great little machine even after nearly 30 years. No fenders so I was covered in mud splatters and loved every minute of it.

20200901_182622.jpg

20200901_182630.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
Add Images
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Got my new (Shadetree approved) Chi Long brand carburetor from eBay today and put it in the bike.

When first started it began to rev up like the throttle was open so after attempting to reposition the needle slide I noticed it was not fully seated.

The issue turned out to be that the throttle and cable that was on the bike was not perfectly matched. It was a bit too short (even after adjustment) which caused the slide not to fully seat. I ended up grinding a bit of the plastic throttle catch mechanism away to give it the needed extra play.

Once everything was sorted and I changed the oil again and we went for a first flight.

It runs amazing and after adjusting the carb and timing chain, is a very quiet engine. I took it straight through the woods with no trail like I used to.

It performed beautifully the whole way. Such a great little machine even after nearly 30 years. No fenders so I was covered in mud splatters and loved every minute of it.

20200901_182622.jpg

20200901_182630.jpg

haha..its yer butt miles from the house when it bites the bullet !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a quick update for everyone.

The exhaust was a bit loud so I fabri-cobbled a baffle out of screen and a large washer for a bit of reduction in sound but will also (theoretically) keep it from blowing out sparks.

Cleaned the fork springs and replaced the oil along with adjusting the chain to an ideal tension. Also shaved some damage from the original plastics.

A friend has possibly spoken for the bike and would like to keep it in the current condition.

I will update with a final post if I end up selling it to them but I'm currently paused at their request.

Thank you for reading!

• Like 2

Another quick update on the XR80...

New throttle assembly and throttle cable have fixed any sticking and hard-to-twist issues.

My wife took off on it a few times now so we are keeping it 😁

No argument from me there. I love the little thing.

Will make its way back onto the healing bench when I make room for another project. Planning to replace rear fender and get new side panels which will pretty up the plastics nicely. We want to keep as much vintage as possible but the back fender was crumbling and the front isn't likely far behind. 

Going to pull the engine so the frame can be painted etc... will likely find many bushings and such that need replacing along that journey. Many more things needed tires bearings etc...

While it is out I am going to rebuild the top. New piston and ring (closest to stock size possible), new valve seals, new set of gaskets, bore/hone and blast everything 

I'm thinking about using a high temp clear over the freshly blasted metal as I do like that look. I used to have a Powdercoat/Cerakote guy but no longer...

All I need is someone to come along and ask me to Cerakote some stuff and I'll pull the trigger on the oven lol

Have many different types of sprayers but would just buy a cheap airbrush and use that. My buddy was amazing at it with basically any spray-gun.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, oh400ex said:

The exhaust was a bit loud so I fabri-cobbled a baffle out of screen and a large washer for a bit of reduction in sound but will also (theoretically) keep it from blowing out sparks.

This worked so well. It's my redneck performance exhaust with a quiet insert 🤣

20201002_174437.jpg

20201002_174527.jpg

Edited by oh400ex