muddygirl81

2006 Honda Rancher 400AT Shift problem

Hello everyone. Need some advice. I have a 2006 Honda Rancher 400AT. It’s only been used around my farm and it has 3000 miles on it. I ran it in auto most of it’s life. I always had factory tires on it until recently. It now has 25” mudlite 2.  It seems to work fine in electric shift but in auto it sometimes takes a while to downshift. You have to stop completely before giving it gas or else it won’t have much power. The maintenance on it has always been done by Honda and always done on time. There are no recalls on mine for the ECM flash. I already called Honda. Could transmission be going out? If so can I put the 4x4 disengage and the shifter on my 2006 Rancher 350? I can go buy a new ATV but I do not like the new Honda body style. I’m a small framed woman and I feel more comfortable on this one. That’s why I kept it so long. Thank you in advance. 

0028C170-3BEB-4A19-A34A-9003380028CD.jpeg

Edited by muddygirl81
  • Like 1

Welcome!

First off, that is a clean looking Rancher in all black! I like it!

If the clutch has not been adjusted it could be a very simple fix on the shifting issue.

Do you happen to know if Honda has adjusted the clutches? If so when?

Welcome muddygirl, nice to have a lady here, not sure if you are the only one.  I'm sure you will find some advise about your Rancher, bet there are a few here that have a similar setup.  I have an older electric shift but sure alot different than an auto ATV.  Here's hoping you get her fixed up.....

18 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Welcome!

First off, that is a clean looking Rancher in all black! I like it!

If the clutch has not been adjusted it could be a very simple fix on the shifting issue.

Do you happen to know if Honda has adjusted the clutches? If so when?

Thank you! I’m not sure if they ever adjusted the clutches. I will look in my service records to see. I’m hoping it’s not the transmission. I know it’s $1,800 Just for the parts. 

7 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Welcome muddygirl, nice to have a lady here, not sure if you are the only one.  I'm sure you will find some advise about your Rancher, bet there are a few here that have a similar setup.  I have an older electric shift but sure alot different than an auto ATV.  Here's hoping you get her fixed up.....

Thank you sir. I also have a 2006 Honda Rancher 350 ES that is still going strong with zero problems. I used that one mostly to play around with. I’m just hoping it’s not the transmission since I heard that are junk. This one lasted me 14 years and 3,000 miles so I guess I got my money worth. I love my 400AT so it might be worth fixing even if it does cost a lot. 

1 minute ago, muddygirl81 said:

I’m just hoping it’s not the transmission

It would be a lot of things before that in my experience.

Clutches probably too tight.

Also get a new battery if you haven't in a few years. I suggest LifePo4 as they last twice as long

@muddygirl81 oh please don't call me "sir". makes me feel older than I am and I'm old enough.....lol  I'm just plain old bcsman

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

It would be a lot of things before that in my experience.

Clutches probably too tight.

Also get a new battery if you haven't in a few years. I suggest LifePo4 as they last twice as long

I will check the clutches. I guess I’ll have to YouTube this project lol. I’ll also look into getting a new battery.

13 minutes ago, bcsman said:

@muddygirl81 oh please don't call me "sir". makes me feel older than I am and I'm old enough.....lol  I'm just plain old bcsman

Sorry bcsman. That’s my parents and the military that has instilled that in me. I’m 39 and I often find myself calling people younger than me sir/ma’am. 

On 8/26/2020 at 8:15 PM, muddygirl81 said:

I will check the clutches. I guess I’ll have to YouTube this project lol. I’ll also look into getting a new battery.

Check your service paperwork and see if it has been adjusted multiple times. Otherwise it is a really simple process.

The adjustment screw is where a foot shift would be if I remember correctly. You just follow the directions on the side of the engine.

If you want to research the process YouTube is a great tool but you have access to a full service manual as well!

This link will take you to a PDF version to look through if that is something you are interested in.

This is something you can definitely do yourself!

Just don't be afraid to go slow and ask questions along the way!

1 minute ago, muddygirl81 said:

Sorry bcsman. That’s my parents and the military that has instilled that in me. I’m 39 and I often find myself calling people younger than me sir/ma’am. 

Well young lady I'm 68 so no big deal, we're pretty fun around here.....lol

• Like 1

Glad you made it over here. 

There’s a free factory service manual download in PDF format in the tool bar. Start there. I don’t believe there’s a clutch adjustment on the 400. IIRC you have a centrifugal clutch and the Hondamatic,  The centrifugal clutches do tend to wear on the 400AT’s. 

I would also suggest checking your battery/swapping a known good one on. The Hondamatic machines tend to get squirrelly if they don’t have a good fully charged battery to power all that electronic stuff.

Finally, here’s a writeup on the front diff swap, if you decide to go that route. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jeep... glad your online... who is the guy who's the automatic transmition expert.  ... i was thinking his handle was Bryan ... but i can't locate him in the forums ...

Welcome to the forum , looks like you are 2 hours north of me in Lacombe , I like the black atv ----- do you live up to your name MuddyGirl nickname and like to get down and dirty , cause we sure do down here in the Dirty South , the muddier the better 

@Shadetree likes when new members post in the Introduction Thread and tell the forum folks something about yourself and what you ride 

13 hours ago, bcsman said:

Well young lady I'm 68 so no big deal, we're pretty fun around here.....lol

Lol still young. My dad is 81 and rides his ATV with me. Y’all sure do seem like a great group of guys and I appreciate the help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the forum , looks like you are 2 hours north of me in Lacombe , I like the black atv ----- do you live up to your name MuddyGirl nickname and like to get down and dirty , cause we sure do down here in the Dirty South , the muddier the better 

@Shadetree likes when new members post in the Introduction Thread and tell the forum folks something about yourself and what you ride 

Thank you. I’m actually in Houma but hunt in the Pineville area. Yes I live up to my name. I’m a true country/southern woman. I have many 4 wheelers to ride but this one stays clean as it’s my work/trail bike. Muddy Girl is also a type of camo. I will go post an introduction. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Glad you made it over here. 

There’s a free factory service manual download in PDF format in the tool bar. Start there. I don’t believe there’s a clutch adjustment on the 400. IIRC you have a centrifugal clutch and the Hondamatic,  The centrifugal clutches do tend to wear on the 400AT’s. 

I would also suggest checking your battery/swapping a known good one on. The Hondamatic machines tend to get squirrelly if they don’t have a good fully charged battery to power all that electronic stuff.

Finally, here’s a writeup on the front diff swap, if you decide to go that route. 

Thank you. I will change the battery first to see if that helps. I thought about bringing it in to the dealership but there are no codes showing and it works in ES. I may just leave it in ES until it goes out and do the swap to my 350. My 350 definitely has more power and it’s my play bike. 

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

jeep... glad your online... who is the guy who's the automatic transmition expert.  ... i was thinking his handle was Bryan ... but i can't locate him in the forums ...

Thank you. I given this site by someone on Facebook and you guys have been a big help. 

• Like 1

Quote " Thank you. I will change the battery first to see if that helps. I thought about bringing it in to the dealership but there are no codes showing and it works in ES. I may just leave it in ES until it goes out and do the swap to my 350. My 350 definitely has more power and it’s my play bike. "

The dealerships around me in  Slidell , Covington and Picyuanne all have the same policy , they don't work on anything 10 years or older 

I noticed your member  marker , that's how I came up with 2 hours north , Houma , so you are still  2 hours just to the south west , been down Houma way many times , use to fly offshore out of Bayou Beouf Heliport in  Amelia 

Just realized  you'll were closer to the storm than me , hope all faired out well 

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Quote " Thank you. I will change the battery first to see if that helps. I thought about bringing it in to the dealership but there are no codes showing and it works in ES. I may just leave it in ES until it goes out and do the swap to my 350. My 350 definitely has more power and it’s my play bike. "

The dealerships around me in  Slidell , Covington and Picyuanne all have the same policy , they don't work on anything 10 years or older 

I noticed your member  marker , that's how I came up with 2 hours north , Houma , so you are still  2 hours just to the south west , been down Houma way many times , use to fly offshore out of Bayou Beouf Heliport in  Amelia 

I didn’t know that they wouldn’t work on something that old. I really want to stick with Honda but I do not like the new style. I feel the oversized plastics on it makes it uncomfortable to see around the bike on trail rides. I love the “feel” of the older ones. We bought a 2020 Rancher for our farm and I do not like it. I don’t use it that much. I guess if the transmission goes out I’ll either have to spend $2,000 and fix it myself or buy a used rancher.

43 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Just realized  you'll were closer to the storm than me , hope all faired out well 

Yes sir. We made it out ok. Some of the areas around us are flooded but we are on higher grounds. Our hunting camp is taking a direct hit by it right now. Cat 2 winds from what I am seeing. Not sure what we will find up there when we are able to go assess the damage. Hope you guys made it out ok as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muddygirl81 said:

Thank you. I given this site by someone on Facebook and you guys have been a big help. 

That was me.  Lot easier to keep up with stuff on a forum.  Threads just disappear on FB.

I rebuilt an 05 350 for my middle kid.  I did the 400AT front diff, 07-13 420 Rancher disc brakes, and modded it to start in gear with the brake lever held back like the newer bikes.  The discs brakes bolt on at the ball joints, and here's the write-up if you want to add a "start in gear" feature. 

I'm with you on the newer machines being too big.  I ride 500's (05-11's) but the wife and kids ride older smaller Hondas (300 for the oldest daughter, 350 Rancher for the middle daughter, and 09 420 for the wife)

• Like 2

As for the 400AT issues, @wheelsquad was good with them, but he hasn't been on lately.  

This is a thread from the old forum that he posted in, with what sounds like the same problem you're having.

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/what-ive-learned-about-the-rancher-400fa-at.20542/page-2#post-249342

and his resolution

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/what-ive-learned-about-the-rancher-400fa-at.20542/page-2#post-288491

For a little background, all the regulars left that board and started this one when the site owners got a little overzealous with their ads trying make more money.  We complained, they ignored us, so we started our own board.

• Like 3

muddygirl81:

I have a 2005 400 AT that was acting very similar to yours. working and pulling fine in the ESP but would act as though it had no power in the Auto mode.  Put it in  ESP and run it up a small hill shifting as you would normal. It will probably work just fine. Run up the same hill in Auto, it will probably act as it has no power, this is usually due to the clutch slipping, as you apply more power the rpms of the engine will increase, the ECM thinks it is time to shift into a higher ratio, does so and then the  engine doesn't have the power to pull it up the hill. My AT did this shortly after I bought it used with 1200 miles. I replaced the clutch shoes and drum and made sure I used a wet clutch compatible oil. The clutch can be serviced with out removing the engine. the front diff has to be slid forward, the cooling fan and cooler remove to gain access to the front engine cover. A special puller is used to remove the clutch assemble so the "shoes" and springs can be replaced. I am not a professional nut twister, like many of the guys here but was able to do this in a couple of days. I would bet money if you currently have no error codes this new clutch assembly would fix your problem. I found a service manual on fleabay which was a tremendous help. I think the electronic versions may be available from folks on this forum. If the rest of your bike is as good as it looks IMO it would be worth the trouble. I do not know how much bigger your tires are than the original, but have read that going too large is not  advisable with these bikes, as it can put "stress"on the tranny. I still have the original wheels and tires on mine and have had no issues after the re-build. If you are working the bike hard Like I do when pushing snow, NEVER do so in the auto  mode, as this can shorten the life of the clutch, always in ESPP if you are working it.   If their is anything else I can do let me know. 

Go to page one of the link that Jeep posted above, It is a great wright-up on the AT tranny's.

Edited by shrade
additional info.
  • Like 2