F250 guy

1of2 possible purchases.

This is number one. 1979 F-150 short bed 82,000 miles 400, automatic, 4wd $1,300.

Screenshot_20200826-193036.png

Screenshot_20200826-193047.png

Screenshot_20200826-193056.png

Screenshot_20200826-193107.png

Edited by F250 guy
  • Like 2

Choice number 2. 

1985 F-350. 68,000 miles. Dana 60 axles front and rear, C6 (to be switched eventually) 4wd, new paint banged up sure, 460 BBF stock engine, may switch out that distributor and radiator. New tires. $ 3,000.00 

Screenshot_20200826-192838.png

Screenshot_20200826-192900.png

Screenshot_20200826-192914.png

Screenshot_20200826-192925.png

Screenshot_20200826-192937.png

Screenshot_20200826-192925.png

Edited by F250 guy

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

Toss up for sure!!!

You said it bud. If you guys are interested I'll be sure to update, I'm going to look this weekend. 

• Like 1

The F350 much more rugged and sturdy, so depends on what you're planning on doing with it???  Both look like they are pretty good shape...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bcsman said:

The F350 much more rugged and sturdy, so depends on what you're planning on doing with it???  Both look like they are pretty good shape...

Daily driver with hauling things. 

Prolly the F150 more energy efficient and will do most things for normal use....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Prolly the F150 more energy efficient and will do most things for normal use....

Yea but the curse of 400, oil pressure issues. I'd spend a lot of $$ for a 460 the way I want it. So a stronger truck with a 460 no brainier plus I can build it down the road. 

Edited by F250 guy

Sounds like you are leaning...lol take your time to make a decision..

3 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Sounds like you are leaning...lol take your time to make a decision..

Haha. If memory serves me I think all the modified engines had oil pressure issues but it may be just the 400. Yes 460 no brainier, everything else I found is either to thin cheaply made or has electrical nightmares. 

Example budget 460 build 2,300.00 including machining.

Edited by F250 guy

Maybe you will get some other advise here from those who have had either one....

• Thanks 1

from your other post is this a truck your mom will be driving (I'd get something she would comfortable driving)  ? as you were having issues  getting your drivers license back due to the big bad virus ? 

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

from your other post is this a truck your mom will be driving (I'd get something she would comfortable driving)  ? as you were having issues  getting your drivers license back due to the big bad virus ? 

She found her an 06 Rav4 123,000 miles. Truck is for me 

• Thanks 1

ah, okay.... i thought you said that 06 rav was in kind of rough shape... in your other thread  (New purchase possible) ... in that case .... both trucks seem equal except for the price range, and size ... hard choice ... i kind of like the older fords ... i have a budy who still has his 150 4x4 4 speed and the famous 300 inline 6 i think... it's a 78 ? no telling how many miles it has on it... i tried to purchase a few years back... nice dice..

19 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

ah, okay.... i thought you said that 06 rav was in kind of rough shape... in your other thread  (New purchase possible) ... in that case .... both trucks seem equal except for the price range, and size ... hard choice ... i kind of like the older fords ... i have a budy who still has his 150 4x4 4 speed and the famous 300 inline 6 i think... it's a 78 ? no telling how many miles it has on it... i tried to purchase a few years back... nice dice..

The owner is getting it all fixed before she buys it. 😁 And yes I think I'll be happier with the 85. 

• Like 1

I like the 79 Ford 150 short bed , weather it is a better truck compared against the white one , I can't say without checking them both out in person  , I have had both body styles and the 79 is nicer looking for sure and in it's prime a heavier duty truck 

• Like 3

are you sure thats a f-350 ? there  aren't any cab clearance lights ... just noticing things about it .... just watch the deal on that one... :-)  those were a standard on tons back then... but then again this might be a single wheel ton... or camper specail... 

• Like 1

What are you buying for? Work? Play? Cruise? I would pick the 79 cause its the last year of that body style, & the next one kinda goes on till around 96. Lots of them around (80s style) vs the 70s, unless theres lots where you are.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

What are you buying for? Work? Play? Cruise? I would pick the 79 cause its the last year of that body style, & the next one kinda goes on till around 96. Lots of them around (80s style) vs the 70s, unless theres lots where you are.

That was the last good ford truck. After a 79   I had another 79 , 82,90,2006 none lived up to the 79.  They were trucks back then.  I usually agree with TBRider.  But I would take a 400 modified Cleveland over a 460.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ATC4ever said:

Work play and Cruise, reason why I'm thinking about this one is practicality, but who knows may for me a 76 in good solid condition. Found a 76 F-250 390 FE 45,000 miles 4 speed 4x4 just now for 2,500 in Clendinin WV. I'm still looking before I do anything.

Edited by F250 guy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

That was the last good ford truck. After a 79   I had another 79 , 82,90,2006 none lived up to the 79.  They were trucks back then.  I usually agree with TBRider.  But I would take a 400 modified Cleveland over a 460.   

Trucks I agree but could ya pm me on what your reason is for a modified over the 460, all the 400s had oiling issues without warning.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Trucks I agree but could ya pm me on what your reason is for a modified over the 460, all the 400s had oiling issues without warning.

I had two 400s , both were 79s , one automatic 150 , one standard 250 with the 1 ton suspension , ragged them hard in the mud and street and never had a problem with either of them as far as oil pressure went , killed the trucks before the engines ---the 460 is a couple of hundred pounds more , the  351/400 MC and 460 were both low compression engines of the era , there is not much difference in the output  of both in the stock form , if you build the 400MC  , it can out perform the 460 being  less weight , the 351 C was the one to have --- just remember my 4 wheeling days , the 460 were not good mudders , to heavy and not enough of difference in power to warrant it @ 6 mpg  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I had two 400s , both were 79s , one automatic 150 , one standard 250 with the 1 ton suspension , ragged them hard in the mud and street and never had a problem with either of them as far as oil pressure went , killed the trucks before the engines ---the 460 is a couple of hundred pounds more , the  351/400 MC and 460 were both low compression engines of the era , there is not much difference in the output  of both in the stock form , if you build the 400MC  , it can out perform the 460 being  less weight , the 351 C was the one to have --- just remember my 4 wheeling days , the 460 were not good mudders , to heavy and not enough of difference in power to warrant it @ 6 mpg  

I got to thinking and searching and found Hot Rod Magazine reads that proved I was wrong for thinks ng there's not much to these engines. And sleeving isn't a big deal. Ford only made the walls thin to save weight from my understanding if I read it right. 

I found a company that makes stroker kits for the 351/400. 

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product-category/engine-family/335-cleveland/351m-400/page/3/

Edited by F250 guy
  • Like 1