Coolbreeze

2011 rubicon Canadian trail edition

Hey folks,

been out for a run on my rubi the past two weekends and 99% of the ride is great, but at some point she starts missing/sputtering/losing power.

lasts a few minutes and then goes back to normal.

I recently had the carb rebuilt and put a new plug in it.

any suggestions as to what could cause this?

thanks

Hi Coolbreeze, welcome to atvhonda!

Was your Rubi acting up before you rebuilt the carb and replaced the spark plug? Which brand of carb parts were used in the carb rebuild?

• Like 1

Hey retro, it was a genuine Honda plug and a rebuild kit also from Honda (it was aftermarket tho and had a pic of a roadrunner on the packaging)

it acted like it a couple times over the winter which I attributed to wet slushy conditions and is part of the reason I did a new plug and carb rebuild.

Hi: Big Welcome Here ---- The Fuel Strainer Screen in the Fuel Tank could be the problem -- cake over with crap.

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: Big Welcome Here ---- The Fuel Strainer Screen in the Fuel Tank could be the problem -- cake over with crap.

Thanks for the welcome!

If the screen was blocked would it be as intermittent as it is? An eight hour ride through harsh trails and deep bogs and 5-6 mins of that ride it acted up, if the screen was clogged it’d feel bad a lot more?

It sounds like the ignition may be getting wet, causing a misfire.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

Hey retro, it was a genuine Honda plug and a rebuild kit also from Honda (it was aftermarket tho and had a pic of a roadrunner on the packaging)

it acted like it a couple times over the winter which I attributed to wet slushy conditions and is part of the reason I did a new plug and carb rebuild.

the comment about the road runner on the carb package tells me..ITS ALL BALLS CARB KIT !..LOL. i can't believe no one caught this ??..replace the carb parts with a SHINDY CARB KIT !. and welcome !.

• Like 2

Welcome!

I had a fuel filter in an old carburetor'd truck one time that plugged up with debris from the tank. It would bog down, lose power, I'd pull over. Shut it off, Sit there stressing on side of interstate(happened in Chicago and I was a 20 yr old college kid from the country). After a few minutes it'd fire back up and run fine for a while. Then act up again. 

Limped it back to my brother who was/is a mechanic. He pulled the fuel filter out of the carb. Cut it open. Completely caked with crap. Put bigger filter inline and never had another problem(also likely had washed crap out of tank by that point). 

Anyway, Melatav may be on to something. Would be worth a look anyway if that screen is caked full of gunk. Might be worth a tank flush and a check.

Could very well be ignition or something else...but filters can plug/unplug.

Another thought. If its flooding with fuel it could be debris getting in to carb float from tank.

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 1