Wheeler

Lighting Upgrade

So while the wife & I were bush camping last week end, we had the quad out at night to head over to a buddies campsite bout a mile or so down the road (middle of no where) & off the beaten path. I generally never drive at nite anymore. I have Piaa bulbs installed. Well when ur wife tells u that ur lights suck !, u KNOW it’s time to upgrade. So today I went & bought a 22” curved light bar & two 5” flush mounts. When I originally purchased the quad, there were two garbage fog lights wired up into the head lights. I just cut the wires & left them there, so wiring will be a breeze! 

7C8771D3-B90A-4439-BEFC-69F335D1823C.jpeg

33525792-9A4C-4234-930E-4AD7E8634C3A.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

LEDs brought back the night ride. I was AMAZED by the difference but I also bought some drop-in LED replacements before that were terrible.

Looking to see how it turns out!

• Like 2

So I pulled the wires out that used to be hooked up to the old lights. I wired them to the light bar & found out they are wired to the high beams. So that’s fine, but I want all three lights on for “high” beam. For that to happen I’ll add a toggle switch for the light bar.. I’ve heard of relays ect, but a lil toggle easy to toss on... I checked them out in garage in the dark, & ! it will be bright. The three will be killer at nite in the bush!!!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

i tried some of those drop LEDs ... i agree... oh400ex .... they were a real disappointment ... and caused a lot ham / rescue radio interference ... so i went with these motoline xenon halogen 50 watt bulbs ...took some fine steel wool .. and cleaned that reflective coating off the tips. ..

image.jpg

Main issue with needing a relay is it takes the heavy amp load out of the toggle switch and it keeps it from melting down(or the high beam switch). Just something to keep an eye out for. I do it on cars...but I don't know with the fact your system was likely designed with old school lights in mind), ..but I don't think I'd want all those lights running through a single switch.

You could find out how many watts the original lights they powered were and then make sure your LEDs don't pull any more power than that. Looks like my low beam is 45 W and the headlights are 50W between them. NOt sure what high beam would be on the headlight...

image.png

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 2

Agree with IROC

I used a waterproof switch and relay equipped-harness to run my accessory lights. You’ll have to check how many things run off your headlight circuit but it’s probably a 10A circuit. unfortunately you don’t know the current rating of the switch itself, but you can calculate the Amps your lighting circuit will require.

Use the form P=I*E, where 
P is power in watts

I is inductance (current) in Amps and

E is electromotive force in Volts

P divided by E (12V)=minimum amps

add all current draw of your new lights and headlight high beam (55W?), i.e. (55+12+5+5)/12 = 7A. So these 7A can be run on a 10A circuit without immediately blowing the fuze, but could possibly cause deformation of the harness components  by overheating. Also not included are other components powered by this circuit (ignition, panel lighting, etc.)

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Hi: --- Light bar 270 watts ---  2 flush mounts 38 watts each = 346 watts divided by 12 volts -- 28.8 amps --- lot of current taken from the battery

• Like 2

On a side note.  LEDs on my 450 are awesome to increase sight.  Headlight is dim in comparison. Will be well worth it for you.  

For wiring and current draw...my guess is maybe have small ones on hi beam switched then use big light bar sparingly on sep switch.  

6 minutes ago, Derf40 said:

Another thought, the alternator might not handle it?????? depends...

That would be doubly important if you have all these lights on and then also run a snowplow with a winch.  Have heard of some folks having an issue running a winch with normal lights at the same time but maybe their charging system isnt tip top either.....just something to keep in mind.....

• Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but here’s my thought. Where previous owner has wires tapped in (high beam) I take that wire to the relay (fused by quad already) then out of relay to hot light bar. Run power wire to switch, then to relay & ground relay & bar.. wired in my mind like that I can turn bar on & off & wire the head lights to high beam. Then all three can be in at once safely?

I tried the separate switch last nite & all 3 can be can be on or just the flush mounts.. so like I said above with a relay it should be ok??..

Edited by Wheeler

2 hours ago, bcsman said:

That would be doubly important if you have all these lights on and then also run a snowplow with a winch.  Have heard of some folks having an issue running a winch with normal lights at the same time but maybe their charging system isnt tip top either.....just something to keep in mind.....

I have that problem on my king quad, I just ran bigger wires and added a car battery on the back to power everything and add weight. This quad has one job only tho, plow the driveway and a few others, I don't use this quad for pleasure cruses

wheeler.... just curious ... but what is the wattage of those piaa bulbs ? there tinted blue , right ? something like this ? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Like I said I rarely drive at nite. Mainly in the fall going to & from a hunting spot. So they won’t be used that often & don’t need to be run together unless I really “need that kinda light output. Gathering up all my parts now. Got the headlights removed already. Mounting the light bar to a 1”x4” pine board painted black & u-bolted the the rack. Well pods r in, bar is mounted. In the pic it’s just wired to the switch to show u. I’ve got a weather proof relay. I have to finish that wiring yet.. I also gave the front end/rack quick bedliner freshen up too!

@_Wilson_™ the Piaa r 35w/65w

BE366841-4E67-4D36-937A-C6AB09F6B38E.jpeg

9566EA20-B1D9-45B7-B949-90EDF9EC14F4.jpeg

91FB489F-DA45-412D-B6AD-C78338370A0D.jpeg

4EC51CD2-3348-48EB-B244-BD33A3DE1CD5.jpeg

D8E4FA59-A7CA-40AE-A820-21148C8A28CA.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Thanks 1

65 watts ? wow! you could have stripped that blue coating off....and it would have made a big defrence in brightness...i did mine and it was a world of defrence... 

it looks good.... I'm just  not into those led pods ..but now that's  just me....but,  i see a lot guys going with them...

• Like 1

I always wanted the OEM look too. But for now, I’ll try this set up & compare the difference. Should be “night” & “day” difference! Lol:)

• Like 1

You did a great job but man... I am not a fan of those headlights. 

Really love the look of the stock bike and those just... don't look right.

I would have kept the stock ones and put aftermarket LED bulbs in the them or just run the light bar only with stock headlights.

Looks aren't everything and I'm sure that functionally they are better. Not my bike so my opinion doesn't matter though!

Edited by oh400ex

also noticed ... the outboard c-v boots .... i know your one for keeping a check on things ... so it might be just my eyes ... messing with me ... but just looks like there might be some damage ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I always wanted the OEM look too. But for now, I’ll try this set up & compare the difference. Should be “night” & “day” difference! Lol:)

yea.... i know you are ........ i recall you giving me slack about mods i was doing to that hondaline 2000 300 project ... lol! 

• Haha 1

I’m not throwing out the headlights by any means & there was no modification to bolt them in so I can always go back if I’m not happy. But like I say, when the wife says your headlights suck & I thought I bought the best bulbs I could.. it was time for an upgrade! I need some light haha. 

CVs are perfect.. no issues there..

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Hi: Have you put those lights on a TRX300 -- if so the alternator is only good for 220 watts out put ---- so if the the battery starts going low from the current draw of the lights you put on -- the alternator is going to work over time and burn up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: Have you put those lights on a TRX300 -- if so the alternator is only good for 220 watts out put ---- so if the the battery starts going low from the current draw of the lights you put on -- the alternator is going to work over time and burn up.

Mel , are those specs for the Mitsuba or the Denso !!! 

39 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Mel , are those specs for the Mitsuba or the Denso !!! 

Info just taken from the service manual 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Info just taken from the service manual 

Just wondering , I just changed the stator on my 300 , went from the Denso 12 pole to the Mitsuba 16  , have not run it yet , so I don't know if there is going to be any more output 

Well thank you for all your input/help on this guys... 

I read the manual & yes.. 220w at 5000rpm.. so.. with all 3 lights on I'll be requiring 338w.. that will definitely use up the battery reserve.. Like I said, I rarely drive at nite, but when I do, it's "usually" short distances...  this set up will work for now.. BUT now, i'll be on the hunt for a stator that puts out more, or a shop that can make me one that does!!!!!

EAFE4E31-CB37-4B70-A59C-07A3D4FCD874.jpeg

D710664D-943E-4B86-B7A1-DBFE11C56ACF.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2