oh400ex

Custom Build | 350x ATV

Hello everyone,

Came home with stuff in the trailer today...

250x, motor(s), tires and rims, along with lots of extra parts

I snapped a few pictures as it was getting dark. I know how some of you are... so I peeled back the top on some of the boxes and engines to give you a little peek. 😂

Bonus points if you know what engine the other one is...

Thank you for looking!

20200904_193044.jpg

20200904_193021.jpg

20200904_193013.jpg

20200904_193034.jpg

20200904_193522.jpg

20200904_193635.jpg

20200904_193848.jpg

20200904_193438.jpg

20200904_193538.jpg

20200904_193427.jpg

20200904_193209.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
ex > x | title
  • Like 3

I'm surprised that no one identified the engine from my blurry picture where you can barely see it. 😂

Someone had spent some real money on aftermarket parts on this bike at some point in its life.

WP Racing suspension is something I've never heard of before but I usually try not to stray too far from OEM.

Some of you have owned this engine before... I would guarantee it.

20200906_100933_HDR.jpg

20200906_100921.jpg

20200906_100945.jpg

We got something here folks...

The "mystery" engine (that no one has identified yet) has some real potential.

Cylinder is not scratched and would only need a hone to be factory condition. Don't actually know if it is stock size yet but since it doesn't look bad it would be a safe(ish) bet.

It is missing the cam and piston for some reason but the valves can be reconditioned and the lobes on the rockers show little to no wear. Tight everywhere it matters. Absolutely no rod play. It looks pretty good all around. Even the clutches don't look worn too bad. Basket doesn't look like it's been reconditioned. It has the original wiring harness and electronics attached to the engine.

At this point I am speculating on why they would have even gotten into the engine in the first place... Maybe someone planned on doing a cam upgrade and didn't. Maybe the timing chain was getting stretched and they took it apart instead of correctly adjusting it? We will find out. 

At this time, I think it would need a new timing chain, cam, OEM piston and ring kit, gaskets and time. 

Very exciting as the only complete "mystery" engine on eBay is listed at nearly $3000

Some hints for y'all... it has a kick start and is a six speed... It is Honda and not from a motorcycle... 

I'm a bit late to this thread but I see a 350X motor. Same topend parts as the TRX350, 'cept they got painted black at the factory. 86 camshafts are identical in those two mid-80s 350 motors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retro said:

I'm a bit late to this thread but I see a 350X motor. Same topend parts as the TRX350, 'cept they got painted black at the factory. 86 camshafts are identical in those two mid-80s 350 motors.

There it is! 😂

350x is a great engine to go into a 250x frame. Losing reverse but gaining displacement, a gear and kick-start reliability.

It is almost a direct drop-in. I plan on modifying the bike side and keeping the engine intact if possible. I have read it is easier the other way.

• Like 2

May as well bump static comp up a bit by dropping a Wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit (std, .5 & 1.0 mm over available) in it before ya start port/valve bowl work on the head?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retro said:

May as well bump static comp up a bit by dropping a Wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit (std, .5 & 1.0 mm over available) in it before ya start port/valve bowl work on the head?

Sounds good in theory lol. I don't know....

I've had such a bad experience with Wiseco in the past and lean to OEM replacement if possible. I'm listening though.

Do you think I would retain near OEM reliability? Did I get burned by something else and blame Wiseco? I know people who are almost religious about that brand.

I know enough to know that I don't want to do any porting work myself. Learned from the Blaster and a die grinder back in the day how easy it is to ruin one.

We have an amazing machine shop and technicians near me so I'm blessed in that regard and will take full advantage! I personally never port but do deburr and polish.

Definitely going to need some porting help with the new sleeve on the CR80

• Like 2

i did think is was a atc350x, cuz back then, honda bored out the cylinder to the correct cc's, but i was not 100% sure ?, so i kept it to myself..lol. and yes..i've been on a few of them back then.

• Like 3

Wiseco is good stuff, just gotta pay attention to the piston/bore clearance and set up/double check that the ring gaps are sufficient. Get 'em too snug and they'll get hot and fail right away.

Don't polish the intake or the exhaust ports... leave them both rough textured with all of the die grinder rotary cutters markings intact, they'll both flow better and hold fuel/oxides in suspension better.

6 minutes ago, retro said:

Wiseco is good stuff, just gotta pay attention to the piston/bore clearance and set up/double check that the ring gaps are sufficient. Get 'em too snug and they'll get hot and fail right away.

Don't polish the intake or the exhaust ports... leave them both rough textured with all of the die grinder rotary cutters markings intact, they'll both flow better and hold fuel/oxides in suspension better.

It has been years since I've attempted any porting work for a reason. 🤦‍♂️

At least I knew that I didn't know.

I wasn't going to do anything after the machine shop was done port/polish-wise as those guys are actual experts when it comes to that stuff and I am not. 😂

Wiseco is certainly more available. Would you go up from 81mm? How much? Maybe 81.5 just to give the shop some wiggle room?

Reliability is my number one concern.

I'd measure the freshly honed bore before making that decision... ya never know, the bore might provide a perfect fit with an off-the-shelf piston kit and save ya some money.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, retro said:

I'd measure the freshly honed bore before making that decision... ya never know, the bore might provide a perfect fit with an off-the-shelf piston kit and save ya some money.

Definitely. After a quick hone if it measures within spec for 81mm would you go standard bore or up a half mm? Something else?

Just curious what your personal preference would be. My understanding is there is plenty of meat on the bone for a bore. 

• Like 1

If its within spec by a healthy margin then I'd run it.

• Like 2

Second purchase makes me a bit sick if I am honest...

Gotta pay what I gotta pay though. I need the part to resurrect this engine.

350xCam.PNG

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Second purchase makes me a bit sick if I am honest...

Gotta pay what I gotta pay though. I need the part to resurrect this engine.

350xCam.PNG

welcome to my world !..lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

welcome to my world !..lol.

The world of paying like 10x for a part from the last time I bought one?

How do I get back outta here? I liked the other place better...

Also did the 3rd purchase shortly after the second. 

https://powersportssurplusllc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F85-86-honda-atc-350x-complete-oil-seal-kit - $60

Some of these parts are hard to find at all.

Not to mention they are available in low quantities and then out of stock for an unknown time.

I've already seen that happen with some things in a short time.

It's gonna be worth it when I start the engine...

Capture.PNG

7 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Also did the 3rd purchase shortly after the second. 

https://powersportssurplusllc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F85-86-honda-atc-350x-complete-oil-seal-kit - $60

Some of these parts are hard to find at all.

Not to mention they are available in low quantities and then out of stock for an unknown time.

I've already seen that happen with some things in a short time.

It's gonna be worth it when I start the engine...

Capture.PNG

did you look at the sticky i posted for NOS parts ?..i bet ya did not !..lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

did you look at the sticky i posted for NOS parts ?..i bet ya did not !..lol.

I sure did. What did I miss? Couldn't find half of these seals anywhere else

8 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I sure did. What did I miss? Couldn't find half of these seals anywhere else

nuff'n if ya looked on that site.

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

nuff'n if ya looked on that site.

I might have missed it but I did't see really any parts for the 350x/350D on that site

Was kinda hoping I did miss something lol

Thank you for the mention anyway

5 hours ago, oh400ex said:

I might have missed it but I did't see really any parts for the 350x/350D on that site

Was kinda hoping I did miss something lol

Thank you for the mention anyway

here's another site for ya----> http://dratv.com/ , do this awhile, and you learn alot of honey holes !..rofl.

• Thanks 1

I feel your pain, because here in good ole Canada I pay out the nose for parts... Everything with the exchange rate just plain sucks... Good to see you gathering up parts to get the beast running.. You sure love your projects...

• Haha 1