Big Bird

Picked up some Seafoam for the first time.

In general I add fuel stabilizer to my gas container. It is a 5 gallon. This way I know it is good for my 4 stroke stuff all year. I do the same with my 2 stroke stuff. Never had a issue with gas going bad here in Canada... Think that is going to change soon.

So today I picked up some Seafoam and thought I would add it to my fuel. I know I am not going to see AMAZING results or anything as my stuff runs good as of now.

As this stuff has been around for a while what do you guys think? I see you can add it to the oil also. Hope I did not open a can of worms. 🙂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

In general I add fuel stabilizer to my gas container. It is a 5 gallon. This way I know it is good for my 4 stroke stuff all year. I do the same with my 2 stroke stuff. Never had a issue with gas going bad here in Canada... Think that is going to change soon.

So today I picked up some Seafoam and thought I would add it to my fuel. I know I am not going to see AMAZING results or anything as my stuff runs good as of now.

As this stuff has been around for a while what do you guys think? I see you can add it to the oil also. Hope I did not open a can of worms. 🙂

I absolutely love Seafoam but not at all for the application you describe.

Normally use it for cleaning carbon deposits or sticky varnish-like deposits in a carburetor from old gas.

Only add to oil before an oil change and not as an additive. Think of it as an alternative to motor flush.

They want you to dump as much as possible in any application and buy more but is it really good for the engine long term?

Modern oil is really competitive and additive packages are the whole fight.

Seafoam is basically alcohol so if you don't like ethanol in your gas... you likely won't like gas with Seafoam in it.

I use Sta-Bil for the application of fuel stabilizer and I think you would be better off you use that or an equivalent.

"Seafoam is 40-60% Pale Oil (CAS 64742-54-7), 25-35% Naphtha, and 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol" according to the SDS

Edited by oh400ex
Add info

some guys say it's good to add it to oil..... i wouldn't but that's me .. as for ethenal gas all you need is stabil. sea foam is good, but most guys i know with carberator equipment go with stabil. 

• Like 2

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

some guys say it's good to add it to oil..... i wouldn't but that's me .. as for ethenal gas all you need is stabil. sea foam is good, but most guys i know with carberator equipment go with stabil. 

I'm sure lots of products would work for the application but it can remove sludge pretty efficiently. 

I've seen it in action by taking the cover off and seeing the sludge before and after treatment of Seafoam in oil. I sometimes add it to old engines right before an oil change and have had very good results. I drain some oil and see the color, do the treatment and see the color again but it will be much darker sometimes. Fresh oil by its self would not do as much cleaning in my experience.

well.... if you run good oil ... you don't have really worry about sludge aka Quaker state... you can do the same with dextrin auto trans fluid ... been there done it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

well.... if you run good oil ... you don't have really worry about sludge aka Quaker state... you can do the same with dextrin auto trans fluid ... been there done it. 

If I could get other people to change their oil, use Sta-Bil, and/or drain the carb... I would have no experience with Seafoam lol

Brand makes no difference with oil to me anymore. Grew up in a Castrol GTX household so I'll go for that if price is no object but Supertech (Walmart) has the best oil for the money right now. Amazon has very good oil too.

Edit: The image is from Sta-Bil's website and is a pretty good advertisement for K-100 as well 🤣

web-gasoline-stability-test-2019-updated.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
Add photo

Sea foam is awesome to clean up an older engine. Suck er in a vacuum line.. keep er revved then kill it. Let er sit 1/2hr & fire up. You’ll smoke the neighborhood out!! Then she’ll purr like a kitten!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I use 91 octane premium non-ethanol gas in all my small engines, wheeler and boat. Lasts much longer than ethanol gas, not that any of it sits very long except the boat in winter. Only add Stabil to the boat before winter.

Edited by PROV
  • Like 3

I use Sea Foam in my fuel , double shot glass in every tank full of non-ethanol gas  ---- have never had carb / over flow /choke plunger problems since -------  never have put Sea Foam  in my Shell Rotella  engine oil , don't think I ever will , seems to me it would just dilute and thin the oil , also could see it having  an adverse effect of the clutch frictions 

• Like 1

yea... that's exactly why it's not a good idea to add it to engine oil...  i didn't see anywhere, where it's wet clutch approved .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yea... that's exactly why it's not a good idea to add it to engine oil...  i didn't see anywhere, where it's wet clutch approved .. 

Just for clarification, I never used Seafoam in oil on an ATV and would not recommend.

Most of my experience with that product is old trucks that have been sitting, log splitters etc.

• Like 2