RubiDan

New Guy From Ky.

Howdy everybody.  I'm from Mt. Washington, Ky. and I've ridden dirt bikes since I've been in my teens and now I'm 65.  I've had a Honda 200X (kinda wish I still had that one) and a Yamaha Blaster along the way.  I've still got a 1999 Honda XR-250 but had not ridden it for many years until my son got it running awhile back.  It just didn't feel right I guess because of my age and I decided to get something with four wheels under it.  I wound up buying a 2017 Rubicon with power steering and a DCT.  I did want the power steering but wanted a foot shift instead of the DCT.  I found this one at a price that I couldn't pass up and it only had 34 miles and 10 hrs. on it.  I'll be using it for pleasure and work around the house.  I gave it a little workout today and was hauling some firewood.

I might have to get another atv because when my 15 year old granddaughter is here I don't get to ride it very much.  I'm looking forward to riding some long trails.  

Danny

image.png

Edited by RubiDan
add name
  • Like 3

Welcome!

Beautiful machine!

"wanted a foot shift instead"

I like you already!

• Like 1

You guys sure do know how to make a person feel welcome.

Thanks oh400ex.  It's really fancier than what I need but the price was right so I jumped on it.

Here's a couple pics of it with some firewood that I was hauling today.

I also wanted to thank everybody who helped me get my user name straightened out.  

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

I think you made an amazing choice.

You could have easily gone with what is becoming the norm and gotten a side-by-side to do a very similar job.

ATV's give advantages beyond what may be apparent right away and IMO are the better move.

"Mounting the horse" can be a bit much for some folks but it's good for you to be able to do those kinds of things. Possibly even more important as we get older.

Your "horse" can go so many more places and maneuver in a way no SXS could. I would love to have that bike!

Edit: Bet pulling that trailer is smooth as butter

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Welcome to the site!! Great looking machine. 

question... how did u wire your light bar up?? Relay? High beam or toggle? Any issues??

• Like 1

Welcome from High Grove, now a part of cox's creek. i'm just 8 mile's from highway 44. Just turned 65 the other day. i dont like it. Oh Well. 🙂

• Like 1

Welcome to the site,  I have a 17 rubi here also, but mine is a foot shift.just don't put any tires bigger than 26's on it and you should be OK. I see lots of people with big tires mudding the dct and burning out their clutches. You can't mod or upgrade the dct yet, only kits available are for the 17 fs.

• Like 1

Welcome , you have a great machine, don't mod it....at our age we need to enjoy things..lol😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oh400ex said:

I think you made an amazing choice.

You could have easily gone with what is becoming the norm and gotten a side-by-side to do a very similar job.

ATV's give advantages beyond what may be apparent right away and IMO are the better move.

"Mounting the horse" can be a bit much for some folks but it's good for you to be able to do those kinds of things. Possibly even more important as we get older.

Your "horse" can go so many more places and maneuver in a way no SXS could. I would love to have that bike!

Edit: Bet pulling that trailer is smooth as butter

I thought about a side-by-side but that didn't last  long.  My roots are straddling a seat and I want to stay that way.  

I don't have any trouble getting over the seat but it is a little more than I'm used to stretching and I'm sure it's good for me to.

It pulls the trailer very well.  I was in a soft spot when I filled it up and had to put it in 4X4 to get it started.

9 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Welcome to the site!! Great looking machine. 

question... how did u wire your light bar up?? Relay? High beam or toggle? Any issues??

The light bar was wired up when I got it and it has a toggle switch and I don't have a clue if it has a relay or not.  Everything on it is just like I got it.  It has a Honda skid plate, winch, bags and the light.  The only thing I can think of that I want to do to it is to put a receiver on it.

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Welcome from High Grove, now a part of cox's creek. i'm just 8 mile's from highway 44. Just turned 65 the other day. i dont like it. Oh Well. 🙂

Howdy neighbor.  I saw some of your posts and thought that it was cool to have somebody that close.  I'll be 66 in a couple months and don't feel like I used to but I'm just glad that I'm able to get out and ride.

4 hours ago, TBRider said:

Welcome to the site,  I have a 17 rubi here also, but mine is a foot shift.just don't put any tires bigger than 26's on it and you should be OK. I see lots of people with big tires mudding the dct and burning out their clutches. You can't mod or upgrade the dct yet, only kits available are for the 17 fs.

I'd rather have a foot shift like yours but am still ok with what I've got.  The DCT doesn't always shift when I want it to but I can always go to the ES if needed.  The DCT does make for some good lazy riding.  

No tire mods here.  I'm not going to be going through any deep mud unless I have to.  I like a rough trail but the deep mud stuff just isn't for me.

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Derf40 said:

Welcome , you have a great machine, don't mod it....at our age we need to enjoy things..lol😀

No mods here.  I bought a Rubicon because I wanted the most comfortable ride that I can get.  Yep, at my age I need a rocking chair with 4 wheels.

Thanks to all for the big welcome.  I wish we could all get together for a ride.  I might not be able to keep up with some of you younger guys but it wouldn't be from lack of trying.

Danny

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RubiDan said:

The only thing I can think of that I want to do to it is to put a receiver on it.

Drink holder  ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Drink holder  ? 

I didn't know they even made a drink holder for an atv but I moved some wood yesterday and had a glass of water in my hand while driving it.  I was thinking, I wonder why they didn't put a drink holder on these things.  I'll have to look for one and I'm going to be out tomorrow and if they have it in stock I'll buy a receiver for it.  It's a one bolt model but I'll figure out something to make it where it won't move around.

They have drink holders for atvs , and then you got the marine drink holders which are the same thing  , I build my own , have a couple of different designs , PVC pipe works well 

IMG_3508.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Dan, glad you found us.  There are a number of older guys around here so dont feel alone.  I'm 68 and having a ball with my old Foreman.  I know of one member pushing 80, so us youngsters are doing ok....lol

• Like 3