oh400ex

Fix and Flip | 2008 450ER

Hello again everyone!

I have yet another project on the plate. This is a non-running* black 2008 CRF450ER with many modifications.

The deal I bought this quad for may be one of the best in my life and was impossible to pass up.

I did not have the money for it or a nice easy place to work on it at the moment but did it anyway.

I'm only partially joking when I say that investing in a Honda is better than gold. It certainly can be.

The issue was described as runs very strong but dies in just a minute or two and then will not restart for several minutes.

Classical symptoms of many different issues.

Plugged vacuum/vent line?

Bad coil/stator/CDI?

Junk in the carb screen?

Float getting stuck?

Bad plug?

This could be many different issues but I don't think any of them are that serious and am leaning toward the stator as the culprit.

Will take you all along for the ride but it's going to get a quick once over before I ever spin the motor over. 

It sat for a few years so will need a battery, air filter, oil filter etc along with anything to repair it.

It has hot-cams stickers on it so I am afraid of what is under those covers... not an engine mods guy at all

The fenders were shaved or taken off which I hate with a burning passion so will be getting some replacements just in case my wife decides she wants to keep it.

The graphics kit is not at all my style but she loves it lol

Thank you for looking!

20200910_132719.jpg

20200910_132651.jpg

20200910_132805.jpg

20200910_132700.jpg

20200910_132711.jpg

• Like 3

Confirmed electrical issue(s). Pulled the plastics off and drained the carburetor which was full and flowing well.

The spark is weak to non-existent. No visual spark on plug(s) and nothing with a tester.

When I hold the plug or touch the tester arc points while turning the bike over I can feel spark but not strong in any way.

Was I right to call stator? They said they put a new coil on it actually so it is likely not that but who knows?

Going to dive into the manual no-spark section today but my gut says it's the stator... Slammed first response when I told him called the stator out as possible too.

just from what you mention... no spark I'd be ruling out coil, & stator yup!!!! process of elimination...

• Like 1

It's the stator folks.

Now I have to find out if the voltage regulator is bad as well or what caused this whole deal in the first place.

My bet is bad battery... they cause so many problems.

Why and how does a stator fail on this bike if anyone knows?

Something shorting out where we can't see it?

20200910_181010.jpg

20200910_181019.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

Hmmm never seen one fry like that before. Thats a short of some sort for sure. I would be looking over all the wiring real good. Check all the connectors. I would also wonder if they hooked the coil up wrong maybe? Or arc'd the coil against something? Either way thats a friggen win! This quad has been rode hard and put up wet. But you will be in it less than a grand. And will sell it quick for over double that. Shoot in my area you would sell it for near triple what you will have in it.

• Like 1

I am not a mechanic but I am an industrail electrician. A common reason stators fail is because the coating on the windings breaks down, usually because of heat, causing a short circuit which can also burn the fine wire of the winding causing an open circuit. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Hmmm never seen one fry like that before. Thats a short of some sort for sure. I would be looking over all the wiring real good. Check all the connectors. I would also wonder if they hooked the coil up wrong maybe? Or arc'd the coil against something? Either way thats a friggen win! This quad has been rode hard and put up wet. But you will be in it less than a grand. And will sell it quick for over double that. Shoot in my area you would sell it for near triple what you will have in it.

Tested everything with the meter and confirmed but threw a known-good cheap coil in it for kicks and giggles. It did the exact same everything.

The forum didn't know what I paid for it quite yet... spoiled my surprise 🤣 I don't actually care. I'm just kiddin ya

You are totally right! I bought the quad for $800 and I'll be into it almost exactly another 2 after it is all said and done. (Minus the front fenders anyway)

The oil and rad fluids were clean but not new. There were 0 shavings in the oil or the filter. You can tell from the pictures that it was literally put away wet. 

I think the fact that they couldn't fix it may have saved the bike's life lol

My buddy has spoken for it at 12. He is a very good friend and it is going to be difficult to let it go for that but I might.

20 minutes ago, Scotticus said:

I am not a mechanic but I am an industrial electrician. A common reason stators fail is because the coating on the windings breaks down, usually because of heat, causing a short circuit which can also burn the fine wire of the winding causing an open circuit. 

I saw how some of the ends were more discolored than others. Curious if you see anything in the photos that would stand out.

Lots of heat and vibration in a 450 motor lol. Thank you for the information!

Edited by oh400ex
Phrasing

7 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

The forum didn't know what I paid for it quite yet... spoiled my surprise 🤣 I don't actually care. I'm just kiddin ya

LoL oops. My bad haha. But yeah i was doing the buy,fix,and sell thing for a few years. Stuck mostly to 400ex's. Since its hard to lose money on them lol. But i did end up with a 450r i couldnt pass up. Traded a bunch of 400 parts for it. It was a basket case that i couldnt bring back to life. The motor was trash. Every bolt was either broken or stripped out. It was crasked in multiple places. Looked like someone left a bolt on the clutch loose at one point and it ate up the inside of the cover. I could only imagine what else. I called it and parted it out. Still have the gusseted frame for it actually lol

• Like 2

A failure of the rectifier function in the voltage regulator can also cause high heat buildup in the windings, by preventing the stator's power from being consumed by the ATV's electrical system.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scotticus said:

A failure of the rectifier function in the voltage regulator can also cause high heat buildup in the windings, by preventing the stator's power from being consumed by the ATV's electrical system.

Scott' , that sounded professional and technical , I am impressed !!!!   Failure to Discharge Syndrome  ---  can I quote you in the future  !!!! LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Scott' , that sounded professional and technical , I am impressed !!!!   Failure to Discharge Syndrome  ---  can I quote you in the future  !!!! LOL 

Watch where you say that! Out of context it could go viral real fast! LoL

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, SlammedRanger said:

Watch where you say that! Out of context it could go wrong real fast! LoL

I can see we think alike !!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i'll give ya a redneck, shadetree break down as to why stators and reg/rec fail ?, very simple...dump owners let the battery die, they run them with a dead battery ?, or no battery at all ?!. then the stator has to work over time to charge a battery that's dead ?, or not there ?, then the reg/rec tries to keep up with the output of the over working stator..presto..you just ruined your stator, reg/rec !.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i'll give ya a redneck, shadetree break down as to why stators and reg/rec fail ?, very simple...dump owners let the battery die, they run them with a dead battery ?, or no battery at all ?!. then the stator has to work over time to charge a battery that's dead ?, or not there ?, then the reg/rec tries to keep up with the output of the over working stator..presto..you just ruined your stator, reg/rec !.

Yep , Redneck version sound very similar full load of juice and no where to put it , Failure to Discharge is the latest technical term , French sailors on long voyages in older times would say Sac Ra Blue ,  the English term was  Blue Balls  , not to be confused with All Balls 

• Haha 1

Well I got the new stator in the bike and she is a runner.

Ran it in neutral for a few minutes and changed the oil again. Motor sounds good but not great. I'm used to the 400 which is a Singer in comparison.

Had a good experience with RM Stator

Fast shipping (even coming from Canada to US) and reasonable prices.

Getting everything all put back together and taking it for a first flight in a few minutes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Good deal !!! Great to hear results and success stories !!! 

Ricky Stator is a good source also :    https://www.rickystator.com/

That was actually my first choice. Out of stock for what I needed so I tried RM 

Ricky would have been the same price as RM

I'll update once it's all back together.

I was just checking out RM Stator and they are $189 Canadian , Ricky Stator is $189 US ,  don't know which way the money goes , Rick would have  only been able to re do a 450ER sent to him , no cores in right now , but he is quick , he done a Polaris , that I am ashamed to say I owned for me 

46 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I was just checking out RM Stator and they are $189 Canadian , Ricky Stator is $189 US ,  don't know which way the money goes , Rick would have  only been able to re do a 450ER sent to him , no cores in right now , but he is quick , he done a Polaris , that I am ashamed to say I owned for me 

Dunno how it worked out but the total was $185.30 US with shipping from RM. It also included the voltage regulator. Hard to beat that...

I have only heard good things about RickyStator

I just changed out my 300 stator cause the wiring at the case being damaged and have not tried it out yet , as the motor is still not assembled , when I  switched , went from the Mitsuba 12 poll stator to the  Denso with 16 poll  stator with  the matching flywheel  , hear it works as a set , we will see ---  know anything about that swop 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

know anything about that swop 

Not really aside from that is perfect for you. It should allow you to run more lights and accessories.

Denso is Honda's OEM as you know so hard to go wrong there.

• Like 1