oh400ex

Fix and Flip | 2008 450ER

32 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wrong about what ? There are so many things I could  pick from , don't know where you are coming from !!! LOL 

Oh man I laughed at this too hard 🤣

24 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You beat me to the post , wouldn't have never guess that one with 99 guesses !!!! 

Wonder if the 400 EX version of a Rick's has a rev un-limiter and  curved timing built into them ----  research it ---- wouldn't it really be something if it were a Fake Rick's from China  ,  look for Made in Argentina 

Made in Argentina was a bit more clear until I tried to wipe it clean lol

20 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Gahhh I hate this... I'm am so wrong on this one...

You are probably right. I ride this thing and it loves every second of it.

I'm now thinking that if the CDI is made correctly... the motor can actually handle the difference in RPM with no affect to the reliability. Completely backwards from how I felt yesterday. I would have said raising the rev limit is the one of the quickest ways to destroy a bike. I still stand behind that to a point but on the 400ex platform and a Rick's CDI that is not a knockoff... it just isn't true. The reliability on this bike is perfect. Only caveat is I do service it really often as far as changing oil and cleaning filter goes. Sometimes after one real hard ride I'll go ahead and change/clean/oil. I'll be getting a Rick's for the 300 now... I have to know lol

• Like 1

I sold two this year , so that leaves me with seven , five 300s and two  450s  , all but two have Rick's CDIs in them , have never had one go out ------ My 2nd gen 300 would only turn up 6,000 rpms , after installing the Rick's for it , it turns a bit over 7,000 , the 1st gens turn 7,000+ from the factory and the Rick's for them are stock direct replacement , no enhancement 

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

Oh man I laughed at this too hard 🤣

Mission accomplished !!! >>>>> May the force be with you !!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just remember, while Rick's are good, there are a TON of CDI's out there that are marketed as, and look like Rick's, but they're fakes.

Order straight from Rick's if you get one.  Otherwise there's a good chance you'll get a fake.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Just remember, while Rick's are good, there are a TON of CDI's out there that are marketed as, and look like Rick's, but they're fakes.

Order straight from Rick's if you get one.  Otherwise there's a good chance you'll get a fake.

Well hate to be the devils advocate here. But i got one directly from ricks. Talked to him directly on the phone for over an hour. He sent it to my house from there wearhouse directly. Would not work. I couldnt get to half throttle and it was cutting out. It was 100% not rideable. I took the ricks out and pluged in my factory one same day 2 seconds later made zero changes to anything besides shutting engine off and starting back up. And it rode 100% perfect. Did this 3 times. Even did a video call with rick himself and showed him exactly what i was doing. I then took my spark tester and made a custom extension so i could run with it on my lap. You could see the light fade and cut out with the engine everytime it did it. He sent me another one. Same exact thing. He gave up. I gave up. He gave me all my money back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

wouldn't it really be something if it were a Fake Rick's from China

Soothsayer @Fishfiles you may be right

According to what I could find online... if there was no "Made in Argentina" stamped into the box and there was only a sticker... it a knockoff.

My old reliable 400 possibly had a China CDI on it for years... and it is the best running stock 400 I have ever ridden...

Slammed experience with a Rick's is very similar to mine. 450 would not even run and just cut out as soon as it was put in gear with that box in it.

Jeep was bang on with his advise. If you are going to get one make sure it from the source directly.

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Mission accomplished !!! >>>>> May the force be with you !!! 

I walked straight into that one in hindsight lol

You basically had to!

Edit: I have a few OEM CDIs for 400ex so I will 100% be doing a comparison. I am hoping the OEM makes it run better as that would make everything right in the world again. lol

Edited by oh400ex

21 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I am hoping the OEM makes it run better as that would make everything right in the world again. lol

It will never be the same , " you can't unring a bell " , LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2020 at 5:19 PM, SlammedRanger said:

Well hate to be the devils advocate here. But i got one directly from ricks. Talked to him directly on the phone for over an hour. He sent it to my house from there wearhouse directly. Would not work. I couldnt get to half throttle and it was cutting out. It was 100% not rideable. I took the ricks out and pluged in my factory one same day 2 seconds later made zero changes to anything besides shutting engine off and starting back up. And it rode 100% perfect. Did this 3 times. Even did a video call with rick himself and showed him exactly what i was doing. I then took my spark tester and made a custom extension so i could run with it on my lap. You could see the light fade and cut out with the engine everytime it did it. He sent me another one. Same exact thing. He gave up. I gave up. He gave me all my money back.

i've seen rick's c.d.i's hit and miss. personally ?..i'll keep my faith in oem c.d.i.'s all day long.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i've seen rick's c.d.i's hit and miss. personally ?..i'll keep my faith in oem c.d.i.'s all day long.

Agree. Personally do not care enough about performance gains to change from OEM. They work perfectly.

If you want more performance... (in general) I would recommend a different machine. Tool for the job...

Even though it isn't all bad and my earlier statement was too far I still agree that OEM > Aftermarket CDI

2 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Agree. Personally do not care enough about performance gains to change from OEM. They work perfectly.

If you want more performance... (in general) I would recommend a different machine. Tool for the job...

Even though it isn't all bad and my earlier statement was too far I still agree that OEM > Aftermarket CDI

agreed, if ya want top gains ?, well..you may as well just go all out on engine build ?, or buy a larger atv ?. rick's c.d.i.'s DO NOT give enough gain to make them worth the time or money. now..if oem is NO longer being sold or can be found ?, then you do not have a choice. but if you can find and buy oem ?..then just buy oem to begin with.

• Like 1

A OEM CDI for my 92 300 is $160 from Honda , a Rick's CDI is $80 , that's half the price , 2 for 1 sale , and Rick's  is just as good ( 1st gen ) or even  better ( 2nd gen ) than OEM as far as I am concerned , usually I am not  into Chinese after market stuff , but Rick's isn't Chinese , it's Argentinian ---- I am more than happy to keep that $80 in my pocket for buying something else -----------     you don't think that Honda is sub-bing out the CDIs to the Chinese or Taiwanese , you don't even know  for sure what you are getting these days when it comes to OEM 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

you don't even know  for sure what you are getting these days when it comes to OEM 

Great point and this is why I would only buy used. Cheaper and tested OEM reliability

OEM used is ~$65 USD shipped from a reliable seller with warranty on part.

Edited by oh400ex

Getting back around to this machine... replacing the clutches now.

I will be removing the judder spring/seat and replacing with a full size friction disc.

The TRX450 ATV and CRF450 dirt bike share a few components. Basically what you are doing is replacing the TRX style clutch with the CRF style clutch.

TRX has a small friction disc along with the judder spring and spring seat. You replace those three components with a single full sized friction disc.

Personally, I have never been able to tell a huge difference with or without the judder spring but like the more "grabby" clutch. 

I have heard that the traditional (no spring) clutch pack will last longer too but being a sport quad it is likely a moot point.

Thanks for looking!

trx.PNG

CRF.PNG

• Like 1

Been away from the forum and doing everything but working on quads in the last few weeks but this bike is essentially done. 

Needs a few touches here and there to finish it off but is ready for sale. 

Finally put the OEM spark arrestor back in which quieted things down enough to make it rideable.

Engine sounds good, starts well in the cold, doesn't smoke... fluids and filters are serviced. It is ready to go.

With the starter clutch assembly, stator, clutches, water pump, coil, plug and CDI replaced the bike should give someone a great experience.

146263578_10225341111255476_8392600999809829857_o.jpg

146121831_10225341116455606_1474533489334746778_o.jpg

145739917_10225341117135623_5429402196850976416_o.jpg

145728918_10225341113215525_6474679073099618585_o.jpg

• Like 3

Heck yeah! Nice work bro! Great to see there are people with integrity still selling quads! Shes got a clean bill of health and ready to put a smile on someones face!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back !!!    ----   I got to say I missed you !!!  -----   Looking good !! ----Is that a Kevlar wrap on the front fender ? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 6:19 PM, Fishfiles said:

Welcome back !!!    ----   I got to say I missed you !!!  -----   Looking good !! ----Is that a Kevlar wrap on the front fender ? 

Thanks man! I think you are seeing the "carbon fiber" hood that it has on it.

It's a front cover that eliminates the stock headlights.

• Like 1