jeepwm69

Selectable front diff in 350 Rancher using OEM parts

For those looking to make steering a little easier on their Honda ATV, Wide Open makes a cable actuated front driveshaft disconnect that allows the machine to operate in 2wd, making steering much easier.  These disconnects are available for 93-00 (2nd and 3rd gen) 300's, 350 Ranchers, 450 Foremans, and 01-04 500 Rubicons.  They are expensive though.

For the 350 Rancher, an alternative way to gain selectable 4wd is by using an 04-07 400AT Rancher front diff and driveshaft.   This is an electrically activated diff, so it does require wiring in a switch, and the front frame crossmemember must be notched a hair to clear the longer 400 front diff, but otherwise it bolts right in, and uses all Honda OEM parts.   These 400AT front diffs and driveshafts are quite a bit cheaper than getting a 424, and again, you're using all OEM hard parts in this swap.

The pics below were from Retro's build on his Creamsicle 350 Rancher, and show the notch that has to be slightly enlarged to fit the bigger diff, and also the diff installed.

Now to power the diff, one needs a throttle assembly off of an 05-11 Foreman, or 05-14 Rubicon, or 04-07 400AT, or a Rincon.  These contain the factory 2wd/4wd switch.  Wiring the switch is pretty simple.  There is a plug on the side of the 400AT front diff that has a green wire and an orange and white striped wire.  Ground the green wire, and connect the orange and white wire to one of the wires coming off of that 4wd switch.  Connect the other wire on the 4wd switch to a key'd on wire (I used the pink wire on the ignition switch).  This means with the key on, when you activate the switch 12V is sent to the electromagnet in the front diff that puts it in 4wd. 

If you want to add a 4wd indicator light, you can get a 37566-HP5-600 lens from a footshift 420 that indicates 4wd.  Get a socket from an old 300 or 420 and tie the positive wire coming off of it to that orange and white wire, so that it also gets 12V when the switch is turned on (and of course, ground the other wire on the light socket).  Again, see pics from retro's build showing where he put the 4wd indicator light.  You can also see the 4wd switch in the 400AT throttle assembly in his pic.

The thing that you MUST understand when doing this, is you have to computer protection straight wiring the diff like this.  On the factory selectable bikes, the ECU will not allow the diff to engage unless the front and rear speed sensors are showing the same speed (front and rear wheels are turning at the same speed).  On the 350 Ranchers, the speed sensor is on the rear output, and there is only one speed sensor on these bikes, so you don't have the ECU protection on these older machines.  When you flip the switch, the front diff will lock in....immediately  If your front wheels are sitting still and rears are spinning at 50MPH when you hit the switch, you will destroy something, so make sure you're either stopped, or going slow with all four wheels turning the same speed before you hit that switch.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

@retro, hope it's ok that I used your pics.  If you like I can take them down and replace with the pics from my build.  You just took a lot better pics than I did.

notch.png

400at front diff.png

4wd light.png

Edited by retro
Exported back to thread
  • Like 3

any reason the throttle/switch from any of the '02-'04 trx450's can't be used ?. 

7 minutes ago, shadetree said:

any reason the throttle/switch from any of the '02-'04 trx450's can't be used ?. 

Nope, that one would work too!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 3:29 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Now to power the diff, one needs a throttle assembly off of an 05-11 Foreman, or 05-14 Rubicon, or 04-07 400AT, or a Rincon.  These contain the factory 2wd/4wd switch.  Wiring the switch is pretty simple.  There is a plug on the side of the 400AT front diff that has a green wire and an orange and white striped wire.  Ground the green wire, and connect the orange and white wire to one of the wires coming off of that 4wd switch.  Connect the other wire on the 4wd switch to a key'd on wire (I used the pink wire on the ignition switch).  This means with the key on, when you activate the switch 12V is sent to the electromagnet in the front diff that puts it in 4wd. 

Hmmm....no green in that bunch. Thoughts @jeepwm69

20220113_184414.jpg

Well without looking at mine, I can’t be sure, but I’m fairly certain it’s the green plug. 

Any idea what year the diff came out of?

Orange should be connected to switched 12V (for example, pink wire on ignition switch) and then run white to switch, and other side of switch to ground.

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well without looking at mine, I can’t be sure, but I’m fairly certain it’s the green plug. 

Any idea what year the diff came out of?

Orange should be connected to switched 12V (for example, pink wire on ignition switch) and then run white to switch, and other side of switch to ground.

No, I got it from a parts guy. I'll try to go back through my email and see but was 2 years ago.  If I don't need to worry about ground from the diff no worries then. I'll do a little digging. Thanks!

04-07 model is what it is from. 

Edited by Gremlin

The green plug is the actuator.

Wire it as instructed above. 

The other two plugs are speed sensors so you can snip the wires off or simply tie them out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thanks for all the info! @jeepwm69

It’s 2022 and I just bought a 2001 Honda Rancher ES 350 4x4, Orange! Was looking for a Warn or Wide Open 424 but non exist.😔

I had just about given up until I found Retro’s thread in another Forum, followed it here, and well I have to say @jeepwm69, your instruction are awesome!

Will post Build here once I start. Still have to go pick up the Rancher in July as it is at my brother-in-laws house in New Mexico. Hope to have this complete by December 2022!

1 hour ago, MoeBwonKinobi said:

Yes, thanks for all the info! @jeepwm69

It’s 2022 and I just bought a 2001 Honda Rancher ES 350 4x4, Orange! Was looking for a Warn or Wide Open 424 but non exist.😔

I had just about given up until I found Retro’s thread in another Forum, followed it here, and well I have to say @jeepwm69, your instruction are awesome!

Will post Build here once I start. Still have to go pick up the Rancher in July as it is at my brother-in-laws house in New Mexico. Hope to have this complete by December 2022!

Glad you found it helpful, but credit goes to @retro.  That's his creamsicle Rancher in the pics.

• Like 1

Bringing it back from the dead.... do I use the rancher driveshaft or the 400at shaft and do my stock cv axles work?

You'll need a '04-'07 400AT front differential (preferably complete with the three sub-harnesses and plastic clutch cover) and a '04-'07 400AT front driveshaft. It is a bolt-in swap (you'll have to notch for diff clearance in the frame as shown in Jeep's guide), the only other parts you'll need are a 400AT/Rincon/Foreman throttle assembly with a selectable switch and sub-harness, which you'll swap your stock Rancher throttle assy. top cover onto. If you convert your Rancher post it up for us!

Your stock CV's will work.  

If your front bearings/ball joints need attention, now would be the time to swap on 07-14 420 disc brakes.  They also bolt right onto your 350 Rancher arms and give you disc brakes up from using Honda parts.

• Like 1