_Wilson_™

9/11 lets not forget

this day has always been hard for me ... as I'm sure it is for others .. lets not forget... what happened... where were you when it happened ? i was at home having coffee when the second tower was struck.. but had to leave to load a semi with shelled corn... when i got to our grainery ... my father was sitting in the tractor ... with just the radio on... crying... he asked me ... do you think we should shut down for today... i said yes ... and told him that i had heard (via the police radio) THP was stopping all commercail busses state wide..... sadly i don't recall much for about about a week afterwards... anyone is welcome to comment. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 3

Yes a very sad day for our country.  I was working at our AF base on the flight line working on a KC-135 tanker.  We came in for break a little after 9 and the TV was on in the break room with people just staring at it.  We never went back to work as the flight line was shut down and our base was locked down after it was determined what had happened.  I believe that day and for many after we launched our tankers to refuel F-16's and other fighters patroling the skies.  We went on 24/7 for a couple months until it had died down.  

Still have utmost respect for all the police/fire/emt that didn't run from the towers but ran up trying to save the people inside.  True hero's....  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was working a shift until 2:00 am at the time and when I got up the next morning I turned the TV on and saw a picture of a massive amount of smoke coming up from what appeared to be a big city.  I didn't know what had happened or where it had happened but I knew it wasn't good.  I still went to work that evening and everybody was in disbelief.  It was a feeling that I had never had before and hope I never have again.

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in Molly Rapert's Marketing Research class at the U of A.  I'd gone back to school after shoveling soybeans for a couple of years, and the teacher had someone come in and whisper in her ear, and she turned on the TV.  Nobody really said anything, we just sat there and watched.

I left campus to go to work at the golf course, and noticed long lines at the gas stations, and within a couple of hours gas had jumped to $4/gallon.  My buddy is still the greenskeeper at that golf course, and we started talking about maybe heading out to the woods until things calmed down.  He had a 100 gal tank of gas for the golf course so we gassed up the Jeeps, got stuff ready, and then sat and waited to see if things were going to continue to get worse or not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was driving my service van right by the Toronto Airport, listening to a Buffalo Oldies FM station when i heard about the 1st one, I pulled into a coffee shop & switched it to All News on AM, which was live feeding the CNN broadcast & heard when the 2nd plane hit. I literally started praying as my heart was in my throat thinking this was the real deal, & life would never be the same. We survived thank God, but i know i wont forget it 😒

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i was sitting at my desk at my job, when i got word from my boss that an air plane struck the WTC, i walked into the break room, staring in disbelief as to what i was watching, thinking how could this happen ?, then not long, the second tower was hit by another plane..right then i knew it was not an accident !!. i started to get tears, then i was over come by anger you could not dream of !!. it takes a lot to make me mad, but when it comes to my home land ?..ya best not ruffle my feathers ?..or you will get yer butt kicked !.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was working as Plumber at at high school doing an expansion. I was on the 3pm-11pm shift. So that morning I went over to see my father at his house. When I got there he was hollering at me to come see the TV. I watched the second tower get hit. We were both total disbelief at to that was happening. I was living in Moncton, NewBrunswick at the time. Our international air port was overwhelmed with all the grounded planes. I’ve NEVER seen so many at one time on the ground there. 

A very sad day for so many..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i was on a roof doing HVAC, when the owner of the house said, watch this on tv. a replay of the first tower getting hit. not long after that, a live version, of the second tower showed up.

i was in 3rd. grade tv spanish class, when Kennedy got killed. some memories you never forget. i had to go back to work, on the HVAC job, my boss, at the time, no respect or understanding, of the events happening, an dont vote neither. i had to leave that job later.

when you are older, plus have a higher IQ, of the boss, trouble happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

i was sitting at my desk at my job, when i got word from my boss that an air plane struck the WTC, i walked into the break room, staring in disbelief as to what i was watching, thinking how could this happen ?, then not long, the second tower was hit by another plane..right then i knew it was not an accident !!. i started to get tears, then i was over come by anger you could not dream of !!. it takes a lot to make me mad, but when it comes to my home land ?..ya best not ruffle my feathers ?..or you will get yer butt kicked !.

@shadetree I'm mostly easy going .... but after uthe shock went away ... oh YES! the anger took a good holt ...especially after  thinking about those rescuers... police ems workers who went in.. (as @bcsman mentioned) and didnt blink an eye to go help... and sacrifice theirs lives plus those innocent people lost their lives ... that night ... i do recall myself and Susan driving all night long just watching the gas lines ... we took a good devastating hit.... along with the pentagon ... towers, and those brave passengers of flight 93 ... who took up themselves to fight back and new what was going to happen in the end, never let be said we do t have old fashion american heros. 

• Like 3

the family knows that Dad will be up very late on the 11th... I typically watch a few clips, but then turn on the "real time" and watch it as it unfolded..lessons to be learned listening to the various callers, eye witnesses, newscasters...folks getting it wrong, not able to conceive of what they were watching, etc...no longer am I naivete about the reality that this kind of thing can happen.

so the annual refresh of my memory is very important to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was sitting at my desk as a drafter at Cummins. I think maybe my girlfriend(Wife now) called and told me or someone's spouse called and told. not sure how I first caught word. All I had was the internet and all the news sites crashed due to traffic. 

Found out the building I was in had cable TV. WTH. Not sure why. Regardless, I walked back to our one TV back in the shop area and we would watch for 10-15 min...then go back shaking our heads and try to work. Then go back and get the latest news updates. Tried to go get gas at lunch(cuz, you know, we need to fill up or so I was told). Station had lines down both sides of the road. That night, I had class(going to school part time at that time). I can't recall if we had class, but I remember gas stations shut down.

I remember all the flags out, the clear skies, everyone becoming american for a few days, etc. I went up to see my wife the next weekend and a crane company had a MASSIVE flag flying from the boom of one of the cranes on their property by the interstate. Beautiful site.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bighanded said:

the family knows that Dad will be up very late on the 11th... I typically watch a few clips, but then turn on the "real time" and watch it as it unfolded..lessons to be learned listening to the various callers, eye witnesses, newscasters...folks getting it wrong, not able to conceive of what they were watching, etc...no longer am I naivete about the reality that this kind of thing can happen.

so the annual refresh of my memory is very important to me.

yeah.... i agree a bunch of people got it wrong the one ... sticks in my mind is a quote  

oh coo

she even admitted saying it ... each time i see that clip it boils my blood! i contacted a few big wigs ... about that comment ... i just hope she was thrown  head first out of our military ... 

• Like 2

lets not forget this day, and remember those that lost there lives (innocent people) and rescuers who gave there lives to help those in need. 

• Like 4

It really is hard to believe that was 20 years ago already.  It's gonna be one of those events in your life that you know exactly where you were and what you were doing, I know I do.  The hardest thing for me to watch is news footage of people jumping to their deaths, just can't imagine.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bcsman said:

It really is hard to believe that was 20 years ago already.  It's gonna be one of those events in your life that you know exactly where you were and what you were doing, I know I do.  The hardest thing for me to watch is news footage of people jumping to their deaths, just can't imagine.....

there are some events that ya dont forget. i know exactly where i was when JFK got shot, and the news leaked out. 3rd grade Spanish class!! an i was on a roof, 9/11, installing a furnace exhaust vent.. [the 1st tower] my boss, didnt care to watch, he dont vote, least the home owner did.. i'd gladly give up time on the clock.. the space shuttle, Columbia, i was hot-walking a horse an forgot about the liftoff. not par for the course for me., an all i seen was the smoke trail. i was in Ocala. i didnt want to see it explode, but, would have wanted to see the event.. though the Cape was 60 miles away, ya could still see the engines/exhaust blaring when one took off.  i seen 3-6 take offs, was still dark outside.

sometimes so dark ya couldn't see your hands, two sets of horses out, fore it got light. the track was not lit neither. 3/4 quarter track. the 2nd or 3rd set, the birds would come out of the trees. i hated the peacocks most, durn if they dont make a bunch of noise, time to get tossed when they hit the ground. 🙂 an i did.

the only worst place was the Van Burg Training center in Prospect. they had guineas. was a two year old training center. i got tossed 99 times in three months. not all were most Guinea's, but they took up 2/3rds.. or so...tossed.  Dr. Seuss birds.. stills hates them with a passion. that was about 1978 or so.the door has been opened again, for attacks on american soil, thanks Mr. President, of who ever pulls the strings...

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 2

I was on Wright Patterson Airforce Base, doing some contract work.  The base locked down and it was a slow and steady process to either exit or enter the base.

• Like 4

i watched the home videos and reactions from New Yorkers .... and again, i still have a hard time with this... i know very well where i was, and aged a few years, and my pop.... which i had never seen cry, did on that day.... well let me put that a deferent way, i had never seen him cry, but that day i did see him cry..... sad fact is.. we were not prepared for this kind of attack..... but as i watched the videos .... some people said those towers would be a target as they had been in the past. 

• Like 3

I was on the job at the company where I retired from that morning. I had finished my morning backups and updates routines in the servers room lockup and was walking back to my office to refill my coffee mug, when one of the early arriving teachers met me in the hallway. We chatted for a bit then he asked for the big screen TV that we kept locked up inside the servers room, so I went back to the lockup and switched the cable TV on for his classroom on the distribution rack and rolled the TV stand to his room where I fired it up. We continued to chat while his students were arriving when suddenly the TV broadcast he had chosen was interrupted by the news media coverage in New York.

As we watched the show the CEO & faculty from the front office, the other teachers and most of their students, all began to crowd into the classroom and hallway to watch the events. So I opened a dividing wall that separated that classroom from a second large classroom which allowed most that wanted to watch some standing room at least.

I was sorta prepared for those events since I had been reading up about a planned false flag attack on the dark web for a while. What I wasn't prepared for was to keep my mouth shut about it. I messed up when I told a faculty member standing next to me (that was a close friend) that they were going to demo those two buildings next... less than 30 seconds later they dropped the first one and she looked at me and began to cry. I felt pretty bad that I had been so insensitive and apologized to her. I never said another word about it that day, lesson learned.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, bcsman said:

I picked up a Time Magazine back then that showed pics of ppl jumping out of the buildings in it, that pushed me to put it back down, & I was actually going to buy it for keep sake.

• Like 4

normal morning for me, I was at my southern office, where I planned to work the first part of the morning to avoid the bad traffic into the city and then would drive  into town later that day.

the wife had Fox news on in the background as she was doing some morning chores. she called me at work to tell me that there was a report of a plane hitting one of the towers

my mind pictured some small single engine Cesna or something knicking the building, As we are talking, she gasped and said the second one had hit.

I moved immediately. my daughter was on the road with her driver's ed. i called and located them, had them wait for me at the parking lot of a Burger King. I grabbed her up...checking in with the wife along the way and listening to the radio. Felt i had time to stop and fill the car's gas tank so I did that and then headed the final half mile to the house.

at the time, we lived in the flight path of the airport. i mean, rattle your windows flight path. So for over a decade we had gotten accustomed to the constant plane noise.  then the flight stop was called and for about a half hour it was double up landings hard n fast as they could...then..the skies fell silent. That was the freakiest part.

Friends working in the city were gridlocked. Parking decks clogged for hours, etc. I felt blessed to have been in the other office just 3 miles from home.

Pulled my family together, hunkered down in front of the TV and for the next 30 hours i sat, keeping watch on my home, wondering so many things.  What i had failed to do as a middle aged, middle class man, that allowed this to happen. What I had done, to make someone like that willing to commit the training, and to take the action to kill, to fly those planes into the building etc.

i am not the same person today.

• Like 5

I was in a Marketing class at the U of A.  Someone came in and told the teacher to turn on the TV.  Watched it happen, didn't really sink in at the time. 

I left campus and stopped to fill my car up on my way to work.  Sat at work all afternoon watching the news, wondering if other places would be hit.

• Like 3

I'll never forget what i saw .... i was spose to haul grain that day.... and had the police radio on, what i don't recall is the warning thp dispatch gave out... but they were stopping greyhound busses and small van box units right and left... I'm sure we will never know the entire cercomstances .... but a few had warned there might be an attack on September the 11th, yet the powers that be, didnt listen.