_Wilson_™

9/11 lets not forget

this day has always been hard for me ... as I'm sure it is for others .. lets not forget... what happened... where were you when it happened ? i was at home having coffee when the second tower was struck.. but had to leave to load a semi with shelled corn... when i got to our grainery ... my father was sitting in the tractor ... with just the radio on... crying... he asked me ... do you think we should shut down for today... i said yes ... and told him that i had heard (via the police radio) THP was stopping all commercail busses state wide..... sadly i don't recall much for about about a week afterwards... anyone is welcome to comment. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Yes a very sad day for our country.  I was working at our AF base on the flight line working on a KC-135 tanker.  We came in for break a little after 9 and the TV was on in the break room with people just staring at it.  We never went back to work as the flight line was shut down and our base was locked down after it was determined what had happened.  I believe that day and for many after we launched our tankers to refuel F-16's and other fighters patroling the skies.  We went on 24/7 for a couple months until it had died down.  

Still have utmost respect for all the police/fire/emt that didn't run from the towers but ran up trying to save the people inside.  True hero's....  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was working a shift until 2:00 am at the time and when I got up the next morning I turned the TV on and saw a picture of a massive amount of smoke coming up from what appeared to be a big city.  I didn't know what had happened or where it had happened but I knew it wasn't good.  I still went to work that evening and everybody was in disbelief.  It was a feeling that I had never had before and hope I never have again.

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Molly Rapert's Marketing Research class at the U of A.  I'd gone back to school after shoveling soybeans for a couple of years, and the teacher had someone come in and whisper in her ear, and she turned on the TV.  Nobody really said anything, we just sat there and watched.

I left campus to go to work at the golf course, and noticed long lines at the gas stations, and within a couple of hours gas had jumped to $4/gallon.  My buddy is still the greenskeeper at that golf course, and we started talking about maybe heading out to the woods until things calmed down.  He had a 100 gal tank of gas for the golf course so we gassed up the Jeeps, got stuff ready, and then sat and waited to see if things were going to continue to get worse or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was driving my service van right by the Toronto Airport, listening to a Buffalo Oldies FM station when i heard about the 1st one, I pulled into a coffee shop & switched it to All News on AM, which was live feeding the CNN broadcast & heard when the 2nd plane hit. I literally started praying as my heart was in my throat thinking this was the real deal, & life would never be the same. We survived thank God, but i know i wont forget it 😒

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i was sitting at my desk at my job, when i got word from my boss that an air plane struck the WTC, i walked into the break room, staring in disbelief as to what i was watching, thinking how could this happen ?, then not long, the second tower was hit by another plane..right then i knew it was not an accident !!. i started to get tears, then i was over come by anger you could not dream of !!. it takes a lot to make me mad, but when it comes to my home land ?..ya best not ruffle my feathers ?..or you will get yer butt kicked !.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was working as Plumber at at high school doing an expansion. I was on the 3pm-11pm shift. So that morning I went over to see my father at his house. When I got there he was hollering at me to come see the TV. I watched the second tower get hit. We were both total disbelief at to that was happening. I was living in Moncton, NewBrunswick at the time. Our international air port was overwhelmed with all the grounded planes. I’ve NEVER seen so many at one time on the ground there. 

A very sad day for so many..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i was on a roof doing HVAC, when the owner of the house said, watch this on tv. a replay of the first tower getting hit. not long after that, a live version, of the second tower showed up.

i was in 3rd. grade tv spanish class, when Kennedy got killed. some memories you never forget. i had to go back to work, on the HVAC job, my boss, at the time, no respect or understanding, of the events happening, an dont vote neither. i had to leave that job later.

when you are older, plus have a higher IQ, of the boss, trouble happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

i was sitting at my desk at my job, when i got word from my boss that an air plane struck the WTC, i walked into the break room, staring in disbelief as to what i was watching, thinking how could this happen ?, then not long, the second tower was hit by another plane..right then i knew it was not an accident !!. i started to get tears, then i was over come by anger you could not dream of !!. it takes a lot to make me mad, but when it comes to my home land ?..ya best not ruffle my feathers ?..or you will get yer butt kicked !.

@shadetree I'm mostly easy going .... but after uthe shock went away ... oh YES! the anger took a good holt ...especially after  thinking about those rescuers... police ems workers who went in.. (as @bcsman mentioned) and didnt blink an eye to go help... and sacrifice theirs lives plus those innocent people lost their lives ... that night ... i do recall myself and Susan driving all night long just watching the gas lines ... we took a good devastating hit.... along with the pentagon ... towers, and those brave passengers of flight 93 ... who took up themselves to fight back and new what was going to happen in the end, never let be said we do t have old fashion american heros. 

• Like 2

the family knows that Dad will be up very late on the 11th... I typically watch a few clips, but then turn on the "real time" and watch it as it unfolded..lessons to be learned listening to the various callers, eye witnesses, newscasters...folks getting it wrong, not able to conceive of what they were watching, etc...no longer am I naivete about the reality that this kind of thing can happen.

so the annual refresh of my memory is very important to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was sitting at my desk as a drafter at Cummins. I think maybe my girlfriend(Wife now) called and told me or someone's spouse called and told. not sure how I first caught word. All I had was the internet and all the news sites crashed due to traffic. 

Found out the building I was in had cable TV. WTH. Not sure why. Regardless, I walked back to our one TV back in the shop area and we would watch for 10-15 min...then go back shaking our heads and try to work. Then go back and get the latest news updates. Tried to go get gas at lunch(cuz, you know, we need to fill up or so I was told). Station had lines down both sides of the road. That night, I had class(going to school part time at that time). I can't recall if we had class, but I remember gas stations shut down.

I remember all the flags out, the clear skies, everyone becoming american for a few days, etc. I went up to see my wife the next weekend and a crane company had a MASSIVE flag flying from the boom of one of the cranes on their property by the interstate. Beautiful site.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bighanded said:

the family knows that Dad will be up very late on the 11th... I typically watch a few clips, but then turn on the "real time" and watch it as it unfolded..lessons to be learned listening to the various callers, eye witnesses, newscasters...folks getting it wrong, not able to conceive of what they were watching, etc...no longer am I naivete about the reality that this kind of thing can happen.

so the annual refresh of my memory is very important to me.

yeah.... i agree a bunch of people got it wrong the one ... sticks in my mind is a quote  

oh coo

she even admitted saying it ... each time i see that clip it boils my blood! i contacted a few big wigs ... about that comment ... i just hope she was thrown  head first out of our military ... 

• Like 1