bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

We have threads on numerous topics and figured for all us rural members it might be fun to talk about farm equipment.  Would really like to see some pics of older tractors or equipment you may have owned or been around at your grandpas farm.  If you don't have any pics tell us about what you have driven or been associated with....lots of great old classics still in use out there....

• Like 2

300.jpg                                                   

I have a 1956 or 57 international 300 utility tractor that my wife's grandpa used on their farm.  He had 100 acres to crop for his dairy cows.  It still runs pretty well but not the prettiest anymore, I use to brush hog and haul firewood.

Pic isn't mine but this is what it looks like....wish it looked like mine...

• Like 3

excellent thread .... especially for us older members who grew using those old classics .... the memory that stays with me .... is my pop teaching me to rake hay (at the age of 10) with his ford 4000 diesel  select o speed with arm stronge steering, and an old johndeer bar rake ... (not at all like those wide sweep wheel rakes) and with those arm stronge stearing models those you always kept your thumbs up.... cause you never could tell where a sink / ground hole was .whilen. sitting low in the seat... till you were right one it .... i spent many a day on her from raking hay... to hauling wagons loaded with fresh cut tobacco ....and, she was geared just right for setting tobacco slips ... 

• Like 4

she also has one of these rare one arm loaders ... ideal little setup for cleaning out low ceiling barns ... but not very fun mounting this ... most people didnt know these came with a jack stand ... my pop always called this the one arm bandit.. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

i recall.... him telling me when he located that ford... his father took one look at that select o speed transmition .... and he didnt like it at all.... but what he didnt know was ... this type in the select o speed has no clutch ... and still to this very day the is kind of the same design transmission is still used except johndeere designed there's with a wet engine clutch ... and became very popular in some johndeere.... i believe the 1st model was the 4020 ... 8 speed ... full power shift ... these models still have a very high resell value .. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

1976 John Deere 2640.  This pic is from back in 2011 when my girls were little. 

I have a 4 foot bush hog that stays on it most of the time, use it for keeping the fire lanes mowed around the farm.  I have a small disc for it too that is broken and needs a trip to the welder, but 99% of the work this one sees is mowing roads.

tractor.jpg

• Like 7

nice! .... we have a 2630 ... with a canopy ... and  175 loader ... does yours have the swept back front ... or the heavy model front ? great stronge 4 bangers i believe 276 CID   ...  but the brakes (even though wet) didnt last long .... 

image.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nice! .... we have a 2630 ... with a canopy ... and  175 loader ... does yours have the swept back front ... or the heavy model front ? great stronge 4 bangers i believe 276 CID   ...  but the brakes (even though wet) didnt last long .... 

image.jpg

Ahh, see I really want a loader.  I would have been better off buying a tractor with a loader than trying to find a loader separately now. 

Swept back you mean the front axle, right?  Mine's straight across, so I guess that would make it a heavy model?

• Like 1

I rode around with my uncle in one of these. My Grandpa had an identical one, but 4430. LIkely the last tractor he ever bought. I was there when they brought home his new to him 6620 TURBO<--(yah, they were proud of that back then) Combine and my grandma went German on him. She was MAD.

Snap75.jpg

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 3

yeah.... the front axle ... the light duty models were swept back... so yours is the heavy duty ... um... as for deer brand loaders ... i know the 175 will fit ... and the  148 will to... the 175 is a high reach loader ... i would avoid it ....unless you have a need for it ... it's a tad over kill IMO .... but we needed a high reach for unloading semi trailer double stacked hay roles ... also the single joy  stick is very handy ...get one! if you like the option of self leveling ... because you can make it ack  like a self leveling  with this setup... the only other loader i know of is this 2nd pic. but I've never delt with this 345 ... but it is self leveling ... quick hitch... and pricey ... i would think, you know the old saying about green paint .... I'm sure there are other deer loaders that will fit ... but those are the most popular .. or used to be ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

I rode around with my uncle in one of these. My Grandpa had an identical one, but 4430. LIkely the last tractor he ever bought. I was there when they brought home his new to him 6620 TURBO<--(yah, they were proud of that back then) Combine and my grandma went German on him. She was MAD.

Snap75.jpg

i shelled a lot corn with one of those 6620 446 turbo ....engine, eaton 4 speed ( hydro trans)  ... basically all mechanical with just one magnetic clutch ...did you ever have any dealing with taking out the filler plates ? .. doing that job will teach you a completely new language.. lol ... and of corse the old saying on those were ... the combine was built around the radiator... and it pretty much  was ... but those didnt have half shafts ... like some of the other models did back then.... i believe the 6620 ... was the best out of all three.(At least that was word from the JD  corporation) .. 6620, 7720, 8820   

• Like 1

my pop got one of these (1st pic) ... costly machines 17 grand ... but had to have the top of line ...cab heat  ac radio receiver hitch  ... plus hydraulic outlets front and back .. winch ... dump bed ... 4x4 ...it's nice .... but doesn't fit my likes ... too slow ... and in closed ... I'd rather be out side .. i have yet to ride in one I'd like to have ... even took a ride in Dave's  cub ... there's something about the ride ... i used to using body English on rides ... and with these type you cant. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

these old international plow (super a ) tractors ... we're very handy ... i plowed many a acher on  one of these little trackers i e even seen some with belly mower decks .. and other attachments.  

image.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, my dad grew up running a Farmall Cub on his grandparents' farm in Hernando MS. 

When I was a teenager I worked for the Univ of Arkansas' agricultural experiment station and guess what they had me on?  An old Farmall Cub

• Like 2

i always liked those little tractors ... did yours have the belt pulley on the back ? when  i plowed tobacco, and corn  ...  I'd always close the cultivators in .. and finally was able to adjust the steering  gear box .. to stop the right, and left slack ... at the wheel, my father, and Jim didnt like my adjustments too much... lol.... but it sure helped with not hitting so many root systems .. (plowing up plants)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i always liked those little tractors ... did yours have the belt pulley on the back ? when  i plowed tobacco, and corn  ...  I'd always close the cultivators in .. and finally was able to adjust the steering  gear box .. to stop the right, and left slack ... at the wheel, my father, and Jim didnt like my adjustments too much... lol.... but it sure helped with not hitting so many root systems .. (plowing up plants)

They had a few.  One had a belly mower on it.  The one I used was usually just the plain tractor, and I used it to mark plots out (experiment station had little plots that were all treated/fertilized differently with results recorded.)

• Like 2

We have plenty of tractors here, 11 I think. Newest is a 2014, most are 70's and 80's vintage, couple from the 90's. Mostly Massey/AGCO and Case/David Brown. Don't like Deere much.

• Like 2

that massy 375 4wd is rare down this way, i dont think I've ever seen a massy open station 4wd .... around here it's kubota .. that's taking over ... no real farmer here wants to use /  pay for the push button deere s and i recall us talking about the 1105 ... 354 turbo .. plant .... i see y'all did the same as i did with our 1130 (straight pipe) it made a big defrence in power ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that massy 375 4wd is rare down this way, i dont think I've ever seen a massy open station 4wd .... around here it's kubota .. that's taking over ... no real farmer here wants to use /  pay for the push button deere s and i recall us talking about the 1105 ... 354 turbo .. plant .... i see y'all did the same as i did with our 1130 (straight pipe) it made a big defrence in power ... 

yeah the 375 is nice, we had 2 identical at one time bought them both new in the 80’s, around 1998 we put an aftermarket cab on one then sold it around 2007-2008 I think. But still have this one, less than 3000 hours on it. Open station tractors from that era aren’t uncommon here but 4wd was just starting to become a thing. Now everything is 4wd with a cab and if it doesn’t have a loader on it people don’t know what to do with it. 

the 1105 is a mean machine, never noticed much power difference with the straight pipe, all it really does now is run the silage blower no tillage or anything. We had an 1135 for many years too but sold that a few years back when we replaced it with a 3650 Massey, which we’ve also since sold. The 354 is a good strong motor for sure. Can’t complain about them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Now everything is 4wd with a cab and if it doesn’t have a loader on it people don’t know what to do with it. 

thats about how it is here now ... i recall back when ford played with idea of putting a 4 banger Perkins engine in the small ranger pickups .. i believe some were actually turbo charged .. anyways ... 

yeah that 375 is nice! do y'all still have that 135 .. we had a 175 ... nice two wheel drive open station .. i hauled many a load of tobacco with it ... years ago. 

• Like 1

Yep took the pic of the 135 this year raking with it. This will be it's last year raking silage may still do hay with it. Need to switch to a bigger twin rotor rake. Grandfather bought that new in 1971, she won't be going anywhere, too much sentimental value.

The White we have is technically an "AGCO White" so it was made after White was bought out by AGCO. It's basically just a Massey 6270 with a Cummins in it. They use the 6BT engine. It's probably my favourite tractor, love running it, love the sound of the Cummins.

• Like 2