bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

On 10/12/2020 at 6:10 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

I've seen combines tilt with corn headers before ... but this takes the cake. 

image.jpg

You're going to have to explain to me wtf is going on in this pic.

• Haha 1

i have no clue! lol! I've seen them tilt front with a big corn header... but standing all the way up ? I'll say this i wish i could have been there. 

• Haha 2

the only thing that comes to mind is something went bad wrong with the unloading system, or separator (guts) and they shoved it up on  its face to dump the grain out... then plan on scraping it ? can't really make out if there's any damage to the engine up top... but the cab sure did take a nasty lick from the header..... but in this pic ... you can see what looks like a white car, left rear tire,  and a brace pipe from a wheel loader....

image.jpg

• Like 1

another thing that comes to mind ... i could see this happen with a hillside combime.... i looked over a hillside moel at the Kentucky farm show .... wow talk about alot work to keep those in good mechanical condition.... still not sure on the above mishap. 

• Like 1

yup..... ... just think of being on a steep grade , and the hydro fails, or leveling cylinder line blows ..  ... with such a top heavy machine ... more then likely .... your going for a ride or tip over ... they don't have rear brakes ... least  those I've looked at never have it's a hydrostatic or mechanical drive ... your best bet would lower the header... and slowly turn the machine right or left .... 

On 10/15/2020 at 5:25 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

another pic ... same combine.. 

image.jpg

I would have to guess this is the result of all 3 of Newtons laws in action. Combine lost power/brakes/hydro whatever on this particular machine and started going down the grade too fast. Operator had no choice but to drop the head. When the head caught the ground, the corn in the hopper wanted to keep moving forward resulting in all that momentum pushing the top of the combine up and over. i'm surprised there isn't more of a rut or anything visible in the field from it catching.

It could be just as simple as the operator had the head too high in the air and one little bump was enough to push the corn forward and once she started to tip there was no coming back from it. (most likely scenario since there's no ruts)

• Like 2

okay good choices, but ...dropping the head would have prevented (they are not designed not to dig in but rather float and slide along the ground and even if this one did dig in we would see the gouge marks from the pointed row dividers )  the tipping, even tho corn heads are much heavier then been tables and hardly ever touch the ground while the machine is harvesting the chance of loosing both hydro, and brake would be rare , but could happen. so.... yeah in could go with part of this scenario I'm not familure with how this new holland model is balanced. the combination of the corn moving forward, and the head being up, plus coming to a quick stop ... would be my thought. 

image.jpg

On 9/15/2020 at 2:18 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

these old international plow (super a ) tractors ... we're very handy ... i plowed many a acher on  one of these little trackers i e even seen some with belly mower decks .. and other attachments.  

image.jpg

my dad had one of those with a belly mower. nice little tractor. think he paid $1,500.oo. bout 4 decades ago.

• Like 1

we never had the belt drive belly deck, but i did know a few people who did, i can't brag enough on the old tractors, just brings back so many memories .... the ones we have were for plowing burly, and corn, i i never found anything i didn't like about  them except the final drive housings,  they were bad about cracking. and also  checking the the crank case oil, apparently the engines were notorious for for water getting in, and not from the exhaust weather cap being gone, or deformed.  

glad you located the thread, i would imagine it's too cold to mess with that ford right now, working on those when they set out in 10 degree weather all night is no fun at all! especially when you get that hydraulic oil on your hands. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

this is a before picture.  the guy touched it up with a lot of spray paint from TSC. i forget where the after picture is, cept on the page before. its not on my computer. the elements got to it, while i was down. no place to store it. TSC spray Paint? just dont know.

just noticed the date on the picture, the last day in april 2020, was my 1st. major stroke. the day after, the 2nd.

was a long time ago. just saying get ultra-sound of your neck, or heart. that kinds stuff creeps up on ya. age dont matter.

DSCN1134.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

i think the other pics are in the last few pages of fishes lawn tractor, yard machine thread... you need to save those to your albume pics, I've never seen kne with a rear wheel setup like that, but yes! they look like you can set just the rim out further, for a wider rear stance. the eight rim clamps is what you use to move the rear wheel out. 

17 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i forget where the after picture is

ted, i located some you posted here, not sure if these are what your refurring to.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well, you also use the rims. they can be turned in, as i have them, or out. 4 positions. the pedal with the curve in it, is the brake petal. it sits level with the one on the other side. im not sure why it is curved. still a PITA. this series ran from 1942-1947. has a lot of aluminum. some even came with steel wheels, depending on the metal- rubber tire shortage, maybe iron.

i had water get in the back of the tractor. culprit was the shifter boot. that was when i first got the tractor. came with it.

it was before an after, pictures. not even posted here. ya get older, the mind wanders. darn siblings are worst that i am, an i am the oldest. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by LedFTed

yes, correct as we spoke of, and very apparent n this pic the rear wheels (wheel centers) have been flipped. some wheels (outer rim) also have  adjustments which allows outer rim, to center wheel spacing. i would ether put the tractor in dry storage or strap a five  gallon bucket, or tarp over it, because water and temp changes will cause the exposed (not submerged in oil) gears, shafts and hydraulic parts to rust over time, then you could have real problems. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t care who you are. This is something everyone should learn to understand. It was the start of a revolution. 

• Like 5

i rode the plow horse before he died in the creek at the bottoms, was years before the horse died

On 12/23/2020 at 11:42 PM, sled_22 said:

I don’t care who you are. This is something everyone should learn to understand. It was the start of a revolution. 

Thats Loco, aint it.  :classic_laugh:

Ted sent you a couple PM's  not sure if you got them, but you mentioned a timing issue, i would need to see the distributer, and if thr electrical system was was converted from 6v to 12v. 

image.jpg

i got them, an finally took some pictures. 2798 i didnt know about. the door to the distributor. the rest of the adjustments are in 2795., and the linkages. 2794, dont show a place to see the flywheel, to see any marks on the flywheel. i cant take the picture, of how the linkage affects the timing, at least i'm closer to understanding. :classic_smile:

DSCN2798.JPG

DSCN2796.JPG

DSCN2794.JPG

DSCN2795.JPG

the PM's i sent you show you how to adjust the timing, take a look at those, but those governer linkage rods should never be bent, what was it doing before anyone put there hands on it ? or better yet, when did happen, and what was the tractor being used for, plus has it set for a while, while ?  looks as tho it has. and has anyone messed with the carb ?