bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

38 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Nope, I don't have a Facebook account and watched it.  Farm cats are gonna have a nice meal......

Good deal , amazing how they just kept going into the water bottle no stop ----  so then what you do with a bottle full of 75+  rats ?  ----  Fill the bottle full of water , would take care of the problem , but no too humane  

Yea my philosophy has always been live and let live but there comes a time when it gets to be too much....can't imagine the havoc that many rats could do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

Yea my philosophy has always been live and let live but there comes a time when it gets to be too much....can't imagine the havoc that many rats could do.

Where would you let that many rats go ?  Maybe by your neighbor's house  that you don't like much  , lol   !!!! 

• Haha 2

that was cool, I'm shocked i could veiw to, just glad i was, oh Bcs, trust me they cause big big problems.... lol.... we used that tried and true method.... store feed, and supplements in a old freezer, and some in clamp capped fifty gallon stainless steel drums some of the cattle supplements ..... are costly, plus then you your seeds for corn and beens ect ect..... some of the 50 lbs bags are $75 for one! just redicious price wise! we used to pick corn for grinding..... up and feeding calves with, the squirrels were a flat more nightmare... lol! they would get in the stored corn, also manage to get in the creep feeders, ha! no telling how many times, i went refill one, raise the lid up, and a fur ball come shooting out.... lol! 

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, Fishfiles said:

Where would you let that many rats go ?  Maybe by your neighbor's house  that you don't like much  , lol   !!!! 

had this discussion, about japanise beetles, on another forum. pests.. talk you unlikable neighbors, into getting traps, that way the beetles are attracted over there.🙂

Edited by LedFTed

driving the 46ford tractor, getting use to it. after a bit it floods[20 minutes] and the gas smell is strong. the guy did rebuild the carb, for now i'm thinking bad needle or float. could there be another cause?

Edited by LedFTed

This isn’t really “farm” equipment but looking for advice regardless. I picked up this John Deere mower today. Pretty cheap. The hood is busted to !. I need a new top section but hoping I could use the bottom section. It has a big crack in it. I was thinking to epoxy some drywall mesh tape on the back side and leaving the outside. 
the hinge is gone as well but the hood does sit on the frame rails nicely still. I though I could use some hood straps like on a big rig hood or snowmobile hood. Anyone ever done this before?  

021825C0-92CB-4184-8F00-020B94C5605C.jpeg

I've never tryed that, but if you have all the broken plastic / fiber glass parts ? it's worth a try, i believe that hood will be very hard to locate, but  i would check ebay, and Craig's (you might even check your local deere dealership) list etc... that's a good looking machine, looks like it's been kept clean, and in the dry when not being used. 

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

driving the 46ford tractor, getting use to it. after a bit it floods[20 minutes] and the gas smell is strong. the guy did rebuild the carb, for now i'm thinking bad needle or float. could there be another cause?

id take it back to him, if that's possible, those are very simple carbs.... I don't see tank pressure causing this, you left out details needed, does this happen hot, or cold, going up hill, or down, and at what rpm, full tank or gas or not ? 

28 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've never tryed that, but if you have all the broken plastic / fiber glass parts ? it's worth a try, i believe that hood will be very hard to locate, but  i would check ebay, and Craig's (you might even check your local deere dealership) list etc... that's a good looking machine, looks like it's been kept clean, and in the dry when not being used. 

I don’t have the parts for the hinge. I checked. I have all the top parts but it’s too shattered. 
top piece is $120-$200 on eBay. I’ll check with a local dealer this week. Looks like the entire hood is $400-$500 which is way more than I paid. So trying to find an economical fix that won’t hurt resale too bad. 
here’s what I was thinking. see picture

F5A53202-60C7-44B4-B74D-70DD749AEF6F.png

that same latch is what many semi hoods have, (even our ant eater kenworth has them) it should work just fine. and, yeah i figured (by the pic too shattered) but,  I'm not really familure with these models .... so it's a two part hood ? one right over the engine to direct the air for the engine cooling ? and the top part cosmetic.....  i see just a tad of it in your 1st pic..$500 doesn't  shock me at all, i thought sure it would be more. 

I'm going to try and find a lighter duty latch like in the picture below. I just need to get some dimensions and figure out a good mounting location. Hopefully I can just use the hinge bolt hole. My biggest concern is will the hood be strong enough to take some drill holes. I might have to add some rubber bushing to either side of the hood mounting.

image.png

Sled , check these out , Huqvarna chute straps , set of two for $9.99 , Craftsman uses the same ones , they are heavy duty 

image.png

• Like 1

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. With hardware to boot. Where did you see those for sale?

• Like 1

i think ?  that model hood  just lays down .... and is not strapped because of frame / body twist so what latch you choose, I'd make sure it has some give and take, and no i wouldn't drill any holes, for the latch attachment. 

Yeah, you're right, it just rests on the frame rails.  I'm hoping i can get the straps to mount in replace of the hinge. Only use two straps near the front to keep the front hood located properly. Shouldnt' take much to keep it in place. I just don't want to be going downhill and have the darn thing slide off the front and get ran over.

I'm probably just flipping this mower anyway. It doesn't have a cup holder so it's no good to me.

haha..... no cup holder, well you have to have the beverage holder... I've had my hood flip up before and and  cracked where the restraint cable hooks up to the hood, does yours have a restraint cable etc locate in the front ? the pic is fuzzy,,but that's it maybe about 14 plus inches long ? no telling what would have happened if it wasn't on there, but more then likely I'd be looking for a new hood. 

image.jpg

18 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

id take it back to him, if that's possible, those are very simple carbs.... I don't see tank pressure causing this, you left out details needed, does this happen hot, or cold, going up hill, or down, and at what rpm, full tank or gas or not ? 

perhaps i didnt phrase it right. it happens after 20 minutes, ground level dont matter, the vent hole could be clogged on the gas tank, and i did have to add a gallon of antifreeze to the radiator, the gas tank is near full.

kinda answering my own question, with this answer..  the gas cap aint vented, the tank comes with a small hole in it. a PITA too see. ya gotta take the tractor hood off.

hmm ...... strange..... the ones I've seen have just two openings one for the filler, and one for the supply line to the carb, never seen one with a vent on top of the tank, the cap (for instance) has a vent built like the 300 honda does, but not vent shut off valve, the ford tractors fuel tanks vent from a small hole under the edge of the filler cap, but they may have changed over time. 

hope they have since 1946. my gas tank has a hole on the top, of the tank, for venting, fumes.. not what i want, but what it was in the years. 46 was just at the end of WWII. Ford ran a series, 2N, till the war ended. then came 8N. different tractor. I Think the 2N ran from 42-47. 2N was 3 speed, the 8N is 4 speed. clutch pedal on the left, brakes on the right.. took the gas tank cap off. no sound., no pressure.. the hole in the top of the tank, can only be seen, if ya got the gas tank out.

Edited by LedFTed

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

perhaps i didnt phrase it right. it happens after 20 minutes, ground level dont matter, the vent hole could be clogged on the gas tank, and i did have to add a gallon of antifreeze to the radiator, the gas tank is near full.

kinda answering my own question, with this answer..  the gas cap aint vented, the tank comes with a small hole in it. a PITA too see. ya gotta take the tractor hood off.

$75, to an from the shop, best i remember if he hauls it. $ 150.. not worth it, if i can figure it out. to see the gas tank, ya got to remove it.. PITA.

Edited by LedFTed