bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

i wish ours was like that diff lock, it would be real handy instead of the peddle, yours also might be manual disengaged when you use the brakes also. that's how some of the bigger JD models are, but those are all hydrualic powered diff locks.... i couldn't say about the 4wd models. 

easy way to check those couplers ... is grab the input shaft to the hydraulic pump, and see it there is any separate movement between shaft and aluminum coupler clamp... the bushing are usually good for about 1500 hours, but while you have the rad out (room to work) I'd take advantage... 

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Father in law found some soft ground the other week. My mother in law was amused 1 bit lol. He tried to use his MF 4243 to pull it out. Couldn't walk it out with the bucket either. Luckily he had a guy digging out his pond some more and he pulled it out no problem with a JD excavator.  I had just had a guy cut my roads for me. I know where not to take my truck!

20210616_194040.jpg

20210616_193303.jpg

20210616_193219.jpg

• Like 1

i do have a question... what's with the street tire on the front right of that tractor ?! and the other three with that tread ? in a condition like that... i would have Rice and Cane tread... I'm not making fun.... haha! i have been there... sigh... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 2

yeah i can see the cleats ...(i actually did find it strange to have a deferent tread tire on a nice fwd young tractor like his) and ??  she sunk on the right side, and font end just as soon as he pulled in didnt it ? lol.... does that model have a diff lock ? because doesn't look like the left wheels spun as much as the right hand side. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

It's 4wd and a dif lock but the front left tire didn't seem to lock in. He has only had it 2 years this Christmas.  I found it weird all 4 wouldn't spin.

• Like 2

dif lock on the front pumpkin , and back drive ? ten to one .... if they had locked in... he could have backed out with (like you said) assist with the front end loader. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Here's a funny;; my grader has been sitting for a few years. 2010.. i finally got the rust out sum, an can spin the blade 360. the blade fell on my foot, an if i aint posted a picture, i got one. but after dark, i got back from the grocery store, an just as i was walking towards the house, w/t the 1st load, my sister turned the headlights off. 😀, of course i tripped over the grader blade. my shinbone, got a goose-egg, or is it a frog.

might be hard to see the swelling, or the purple from this photo. she left the headlights on after that.. haha

DSCN2877.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

becareful there, Ted..... i never could stand when i busted my shin, i recall one time a friend was helping me tighten up a disk gang, and missed the pipe wrench, instead ... he struck the the end disk, and the sledge hammer glanced off and struck my shin, it took me a while to walk right after that one.... lol! i still have a slight deformity on the bone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Any suggestions on what to do with the used hydraulic fluid?

I’ve seen people say to burn it in a bonfire, use it as chainsaw bar oil, filter and mix with the diesel and burn in the tractor.

Any other ideas?

• Like 2

sure burn it, you could use it as bar oil, just mix it some with the bar oil you use,  good idea IMO  i would let the oil settle 1st and see whats in the bottom, (place a magnet in the oil container) and NO i wouldn't try and use it as fuel for the tractor because of the particulates... they would not do the injector pump very well. 

• Like 2

before you despose of the oil I'd like to see whats settled .... just curious... and especially if you do the magnet dip...... some use old oil as fine machine oil, but that's about all i can say, i used it as roller chain lube for exposed chains on hay conditioners, round bale rollers, hay elevators, combine chains, etc .... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

personally ...... I'd just burn it, (but we had gallons of it to despose of) unless your running low on bar oil..... i have to say i really haven't thought about what to do with used oil, till now .... lol, i just automaticly used it as as lube for deferent things ... 

• Like 1

Oh I'd filter it before I did anything with it for anything shy of a bonfire.  The bar oil sounded like a good idea, but I'd have to mix it with something stickier.

• Like 2

you do have this oil ? and your not giving it to your father, right ? I'm sorry jeep i had to ask... lol! ahem... yes sir, i would mix it with straight bar oil to extent usage. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 1

Yep, in a 5 gal bucket at the shop for now.  Hate to waste it, PITA to take to autoreillynapa to recycle, so was looking for a good way to use it. 

• Like 2

heck... if you don't have any plans right off, just store it, you can use it on door hinges, locks, exposed hinge points of any kind, chain and sprockets ... might even shine up plastics with it and spray the under side, to help mud and slime slide off ... some use wd-40 

• Like 1

jeep i haven't asked you has the 2640 hydraulics improved or have you started taking the cooling system down for a cleaning and refresh , or your just plain too busy at the moment. 

I did mow with it for a long time one day after changing the fluid.  Everything worked fine.  3 point picks up much faster now and no more cutting out on the bush hog. 

Just blew and sprayed the radiator out, so while the temp gauge still creeped up there while mowing in the deep stuff, it didn't overheat.

• Like 1

glad to hear she's better, do you have the cooling system sealed ? that also will hold the engine temp down... the cap on those are pickey about staying sealed up good, most times it's the rubber seals that give up the ghost.

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

glad to hear she's better, do you have the cooling system sealed ? that also will hold the engine temp down... the cap on those are pickey about staying sealed up good, most times it's the rubber seals that give up the ghost.

When it overheated I got some steam from around the cap/overflow, but under normal running no problems.