bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

do the upper and lower hoses get tight / pressurized ? when its hot ? the key to this engine staying cool, is coolant system pressure...and a clean radiator snug drive belt and correct  thermostat ... im drawing a blank, but this model might require a thermostat with a jiggle valve, I'll have to check, but  if you look back at the pic of the radiator it's small with the hydro cooler mounted on the right hand side. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's sealed ok.  Only when I ran it a little hot and the murphy switch shut it off did I get the cap leaking out of the overflow.

• Thanks 1

well.... it's going to blow out from that point, but to be sure it's pressurized .... do a cold start, and check the upper and lower hoses for tension ...while it warms up they should get tighter over time,  and take the cap off (while it's cold) and see if any coolant is moving... I've been thinking about this, and that tractor shouldn't be getting hot with the cutter you have on it.... also check the engine drain petcock... if it's plugged i have an idea the cooling system needs a fush, and becareful with the petcock on the radiator... if these get pluged up, it can effect the engine oil cooler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

took the 46 ford down the hill to see if i could move some dirt, thursday. i'm celebrating later.. the grader blade didnt do squat.. so next i try to go back up the hill on the other side,, it gets started, then the back wheels start spinning. sooo, i back up, and to turn around. when i go forward the tractor starts sliding down the hill. i get it going far enough to run over some saplings, then the transmission quits. it wouldnt move in any gear. was a very slight burnt smell. most likely the clutch. the reason. i know better then this, but that never stopped me before... the reason i'm celebrating is, least i didnt roll the tractor over me....... i was standing on the uphill running board, just in case.. 😄

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

the transmission quits. it wouldnt move in any gear. was a very slight burnt smell. most likely the clutch.

yes, sounds like you smoked the clutch, if you can post me some pics of the left hand side just ahead of the foot rest, and is there any free play (up or down) when the clutch peddle is released (fully up) some of these do have clutch adjustments, but i wouldn't use it again till i get the clutch adjusted, if it has anymore adjustment left ?? 

• Like 1

Well that one about like you would expect. 

Rain forecast here for the next four days so I figured I would get out and clear a couple of holes and could get some millet planted before it rolled in light this morning 

30 minutes after I started ......

Was rolling along on top of the ground and came to a ditch and thought I better stop and back up. When I stopped, I was done

F1D1473E-A831-4B4E-B378-2C93CDE82564.jpeg

• Like 3

wow! I'm not saying a word..... lol! but this, brother, i have been there..... sigh, on a good note.... least y'all have a forcast  of rain, i can't tell how far you are in and how close any good size trees are, but, you might be able to use the rear extended axles to pull yourself out..... if your in that far, and can take the cutter loose, and drag it out of the way the better. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Took the hog off, dragged it out of the way with a little 4wd Kubota. 

Got the little Kubota stuck trying to pull out the Deere. 

Dragged the little Kubota out with a 5k winch on a friends Pioneer 700.

Started pulling Deere out with that winch and a snatchblock (had the pioneer chained to a tree), pretty sure we burnt up the winch motor, but had moved the Deere enough by then to get it the rest of the way out with the Kubota.

Ripped the muffler off the Deere rocking it back and forth.

My Rincon buddy showed up with a big 4wd (8430 maybe?) but we thought better of sinking that beast trying to pull. Once you start spinning in this stuff you just dig, and trackhoes are expensive (only way we’d get that big one out if we stuck it

Would have been more fun if it had been later in the day with beer involved.

1143C2D7-0CF8-4583-8AAE-CE9E03CFCD78.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i thought maybe that muffler might get packed with mud, man sounds like y'all had a heck of a time, 8430 ? articulating Johndeere.... ouch yeah that would have been a mess getting that bad boy stuck... I'm glad y'all got it out. 

• Like 1

chances are if that 8430 had had good deep cleats and was dueled out would have been safe to pull close enough, with duels ... she would snatched out that 2640, and not even spun or grunted, yeah just never can tell how fast one will sink. 

He didn’t have duals on it. The road going down to the duck hole isn’t wide enough to get down there running duals.

My buddy said “Now look if you’re gonna sink your tractor trying to mow a swamp you’re going to have to widen your roads if you want me to come pull your ! out”

• Like 2

11 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yes, sounds like you smoked the clutch, if you can post me some pics of the left hand side just ahead of the foot rest, and is there any free play (up or down) when the clutch peddle is released (fully up) some of these do have clutch adjustments, but i wouldn't use it again till i get the clutch adjusted, if it has anymore adjustment left ?? 

the pressure plate, still fells the same, when ya push the clutch petal,  had an inch of play in the clutch pedal,still does, i can try the adjustment, probably be more smoke if not parts flying everywhere inside my brother pulled me of the hill, [i seen rain coming], but that hill is so steep he cant pull the tractor up the hill. hing sight is 20/20. when i payed to fix the flywheel, i shoulda told the guy to check the clutch/pressure plate. Oh Well...

i wasnt even drinking on that one. 😀

seen a 4x4 truck that went through a farmers field once. rained solid two weeks before, it wad buried to the floorboard/bumpers. it sat over a month or longer before e got it out. i smile when i pasted by, and i smile at me. aint i hilarious.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

My buddy said “Now look if you’re gonna sink your tractor trying to mow a swamp you’re going to have to widen your roads if you want me to come pull your ! out”

i get a chuckle from this, but at least you have a friend who's willing to bring in a monster to pull you out, but it's abit of a job to put those duals on, if there the heavy type hubs, it's been years sence I've messed with one. 

28 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

the pressure plate, still fells the same, when ya push the clutch petal,  had an inch of play in the clutch pedal,still does, i can try the adjustment, probably be more smoke if not parts flying everywhere inside. 

i need to see pics of the area where the peddle rod hooks to the clutch arm... but if you have free play at the peddle, there could be a peddle stop also, both the clutch adjustment and peddle stop will need adjusting. 

43 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

when i payed to fix the flywheel, i shoulda told the guy to check the clutch/pressure plate. Oh Well...

you had a new clutch disk installed but went with old pressure plate ? and i take it your friend turns the flywheel face and pressure plate face ? it still could be just a slight adjustment needed. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:05 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

you had a new clutch disk installed but went with old pressure plate ? and i take it your friend turns the flywheel face and pressure plate face ? it still could be just a slight adjustment needed. 

naw, i shoulda had it checked out at the time. well;; i got the tractor back at the house. bit ran fine. the only thing i can think of is, i was standing on the running board and faced the shifter an steering wheel an might not have seen the left rear wheel move., its the only explanation i can come up with. seems like i would have felt the momentum when i let out the clutch. even in 3rd i didnt feel nothing.. i could always feel it when i had a car with the rear wheels on jack stands.

• Confused 1

On September 17, 2021 at 4:22 AM, LedFTed said:

took the 46 ford down the hill to see if i could move some dirt, thursday. i'm celebrating later.. the grader blade didnt do squat.. so next i try to go back up the hill on the other side,, it gets started, then the back wheels start spinning. sooo, i back up, and to turn around. when i go forward the tractor starts sliding down the hill. i get it going far enough to run over some saplings, then the transmission quits. it wouldnt move in any gear. was a very slight burnt smell. most likely the clutch. the reason. i know better then this, but that never stopped me before... the reason i'm celebrating is, least i didnt roll the tractor over me....... i was standing on the uphill running board, just in case.. 😄

it would have not smoke the tire as much as it would have the clutch while you up there pushing dirt on an angle, post pics of the clutch linkage, and where you were, and and how much the tires (rear dug in while spinning) but from what little i have to go on you smoked the clutch, and shouldn't use the tractor again till you get this adjusted IF it can be. 

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

naw, i shoulda had it checked out at the time. well;; i got the tractor back at the house. bit ran fine. the only thing i can think of is, i was standing on the running board and faced the shifter an steering wheel an might not have seen the left rear wheel move., its the only explanation i can come up with. seems like i would have felt the momentum when i let out the clutch. even in 3rd i didnt feel nothing.. i could always feel it when i had a car with the rear wheels on jack stands.

you should have felt the rear tire cleat vibration while spinning /digging via the foot rest, IF you were on solid ground, or smelled rubber if the tire spun long enough..... if you put the tractor in gear, now! and let out on the clutch .. what happens ? 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 7:04 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

it would have not smoke the tire as much as it would have the clutch while you up there pushing dirt on an angle, post pics of the clutch linkage, and where you were, and and how much the tires (rear dug in while spinning) but from what little i have to go on you smoked the clutch, and shouldn't use the tractor again till you get this adjusted IF it can be. 

you should have felt the rear tire cleat vibration while spinning /digging via the foot rest, IF you were on solid ground, or smelled rubber if the tire spun long enough..... if you put the tractor in gear, now! and let out on the clutch .. what happens ? 

tractor, just goes. i forgot to mention though, the clutch linkage was on a small tree. an if i told ya otherwise, i'm still baffled, by what happened.. even though, it shouldnt of happened. IMO. i just had a whiff of smoke smell..  i recognize that smell, between tires an clutches. go down a drag strip a few times, or see a clutch, explode. they smell different.  never smoked a clutch, but did plenty of tires..

Edited by LedFTed

i don't know, but i would be talking to the guy who worked on it before, sound like she's got some problems, and was abused before you got her, governor, carb issues, clutch or drive train issues ? yeah she got problems, that burns me people trying to work and things and NOT having a clue what to mess with when looking or trying to repair a problem, anyways hope you the best of getting her fixed, and for gosh sakes, don't let that guy tweak on that govenor rod again!!

on a note my father plans on purchasing a newer cab 4wd  self leveling loader equipt johndeere.. and yes I'm talking one of these new push-up button johndeere tractors, and i can't stand the thought of him doing this, it's just going to be morse trouble then it's worth (IMO) ill update more later. 

this is kinda farm related and I'll quote yeah if you drafted off this train you'd get dragged all the way to Arizona to your beech front protery......and youll need to clean your vehicle inside and out.... lol! especially your pants....... and that stink from those trailers ?? the smell of money!! i like the first truck, but the blue kw is sweet! 

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i don't know, but i would be talking to the guy who worked on it before, sound like she's got some problems, and was abused before you got her, governor, carb issues, clutch or drive train issues ? yeah she got problems, that burns me people trying to work and things and NOT having a clue what to mess with when looking or trying to repair a problem, anyways hope you the best of getting her fixed, and for gosh sakes, don't let that guy tweak on that govenor rod again!!

on a note my father plans on purchasing a newer cab 4wd  self leveling loader equipt johndeere.. and yes I'm talking one of these new push-up button johndeere tractors, and i can't stand the thought of him doing this, it's just going to be morse trouble then it's worth (IMO) ill update more later. 

Friend of mine bought one of those a couple years ago. It’s at the John Deere dealership now lol

Broken down….again…and no working on them yourself 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Friend of mine bought one of those a couple years ago. It’s at the John Deere dealership now lol

Broken down….again…and no working on them yourself 

good old tractors.......back in day, and! yes sir, your right, bout as easy to find parts for those old tractors as some of our honda machines.....lol! 

fish that was great! that driver Purdy much nailed it! but those two trucker secretes ?? i bet i know what one is especially it deals only with bull haulers, and nope he can't say OR shouldn't!! 

hes also right about pigs compaired to cows.......but i never had an idea they sanitized those trailers, milk tankers yes,i wouldnt drive one those for any amount of money, at least not this day in time, no baffles in the tank to control millk sloshing (weight shifting) I've seen milk trucks pushed through red lights because of sloshing. that driver in your video knows his stuff! thank you for posting it, we used to haul 500 gals of water to set tobacco no baf in the tank, and i had it behind my old 76 chevy long bed with a 350, 4 speed 4x4 and a couple thousand lbs of johndeere front end tractor weights in the bed, and that 500  tank made me pinch the seat a couple times....... makes me wonder which weighs more a gal of milk, or water ? we hauled with a single axle trailer dueled out, should been on a 4 wheel wagon, or a truck mounted tank....... truck did okay pulling, but stopping ?? that was a new experience every single time........sigh. 

• Like 1

well; dont know what the smoke smell was, as i was sitting on the left rear bumper, i wasnt watching the rear tire. it was spinning. a funny on me.

the guy i bought it from, got it for a job he did for someone else. he kept saying he didnt know anything about the tractor, a red flag for me. i let one of my friends talk me into buying it. ya know, good intentions an all that. cost 1600 got another 1600 in it. Oh Well