bcsman

Let's talk farm equipment

i read somewhere you can use beet juice for tire weight, instead of calsium. anybody else heard this. it dont corrode your rims as bad.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i read somewhere you can use beet juice for tire weight, instead of calsium. anybody else heard this. it dont corrode your rims as bad.

I don't know about beet juice , I would guess another requirement beside not corroding , would be not freezing , does beet juice not freeze ?

I did a little on the farm equipment today , the two tires to my wood splitter were flat and rotten , hard to move like that , tires were cheap enough $23 each ,and $6 per tube ------   the tire store told me if I wanted them mounted , to leave them till the sun came out to warm them tires up , it is suppose to be cold and rainy for the next two days , so I did it myself , stuck the tubes in the tires and inflated them for about 3 hours and they stood 

12p4Lp0uQdWEBhMKR8IDYQ.jpg

HOSHE7KfScC%Q2DSLxJgtQ.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't know about beet juice , I would guess another requirement beside not corroding , would be not freezing , does beet juice not freeze ?

Its not beet juice..... It's sugar beet juice... And yep it's got modifiers...... The Minnesota department of transportation pioneered the use of this mixtures to treat icey snow covered roads with..... The reason many LARG farming operations  don't use this is among many one is its not readly avalible ..... Large farming operations don't usally keep tractor very long so the rims stay in relatively good shape....and also depends on soil compaction issues, plus terrain, and weight of the equiptment ....without fluid ballast. This mixture is more useful for your adverage weekend play time farmer.... And not farming operation where farmers make their living..... You don't gamble when your lively hood is on the line. 

• Like 2

On November 15, 2022 at 3:19 PM, Fishfiles said:

I did a little on the farm equipment today , the two tires to my wood splitter were flat and rotten , hard to move like that , tires were cheap enough $23 each ,and $6 per tube ------   the tire store told me if I wanted them mounted , to leave them till the sun came out to warm them tires up , it is suppose to be cold and rainy for the next two days , so I did it myself , stuck the tubes in the tires and inflated them for about 3 hours and they stood 

12p4Lp0uQdWEBhMKR8IDYQ.jpg

HOSHE7KfScC%Q2DSLxJgtQ.jpg

Great minds think a like.....I've done that with mine too. 

• Like 1

I always liked the allis chalmers D21 with 426 cid  ..... They squeezed an incredible amount of horse power from the factory......but the draw back these and the 301 were bad about poping...... 1st pic is a 301 combine model .... Rpm limit (ithink) close to 3 grand....we had one just like this... Ran great for years.... one day while i was up in the engine compartment ( pop was in the cab) we were tracking down a slipping virable drive belt ..... so it was under a full load she burned a piston.... And thatvwas all ahe wrote.....so....Sold her, ended up with  a johndeere 6620 .... And updated from there....the (pic)  green engine is the 426.... They pushed these engines to produce 173 Hp..... And we're also used in the big articulating 4wd units... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I remember when I first started working on heavy equipment , it was 1976 and there were still a few machine around from the 50-60s , some of the cranes and dozers had big diesels that started with pony engines instead of starters ,  basically the ponies were big gas powered starters , you would get them going and then throw a big long lever in to engage the bendix and hope it did not kick back on you , 

Then there was air starters , and then air over hydraulic starter systems  and then all hydraulic starter systems 

Some of them old diesel engines , started up on gasoline and then you switched them over to diesel after they were running 

On the old cranes , if the batteries , air or hydraulics was low, you could " Drop the boom " , by engaging the draw works , releasing the boom and let it start coming down thru the draw works , and pop the clutch and spin the engine , made a cool sound 

• Like 1

I've heard about those pony systems an air starters.....but im not familure with air over hydro, or plain hydro.....i reckon the hydro systems had a high pressure reserve isolted tank, or electric motors produce the hydro oil pressure needed ? Thats very intresting to learn.....

I dont recall how young i was...... 10 maybe ? but My grandfather had some tractors that started on gas and switched ..... Even had one that started on kerosine ..... Then swopped to diesel.......and those magneto systems.... I wanted nothing to do with those after i got shocked one time... Lol.....the hie system General Motors had was nothing to get buzzed by compaired to a magneto......those just plain hurt like ! But, i wish we still had them... but back then they really didnt know what collectors items they would be.... They just wanted newer  more powwrful tractors .... Heck some of us don't even know some things we have will one day become  a collectors dream..... Well correction ..... Us honda hoarders know... Lol! 

• Like 1

air over hydraulic uses air to operate a pump that produces hydraulic pressure .which fills a tank with a accumulator , the tank will have say 5 gallons of oil under 3,000 psi , the starter is hydraulic , you open the valve to spin the starter , once the engine is run , some units have recharging pumps that drive off the engine to replenish the tank for a restart  ----  some units don't have a air pump , hydraulic over hydraulic and there is a hand pump ( like on a Port-a-Power )to charge the tank , it might take 100+ pumps to get enough pressure for a start and wear you out , if it doesn't start then you pump it again , seen a lot of old Detroit Diesels with the hydraulic starters  

• Like 1

I found this tube very interesting .... A couple things  (blown income) hm......  I it and it might have something in common.... Haha! To continue .... The sled .... Now the johndeere corp never made a pulling sled i know of .. But the cab on the one in the video has the cab of a updated Johndeere maximizer combines after the 20 series .... That's the same cab (on deferent model bine) that we had rented before we actually purchased one.... And they are a very high step up from the older 00-20 dust leaking series .. Also equip (optional) with a hepa air filter system which was troublesome at 1st because they stopped up so quickly... Then came the pre filter add on... you could actually breath at the end of a days operation.... Back to these pullers... The johndeere with the 7.6 466 CID inline is one of the optional engines that GM small pickups were going to come out with (as i spoke of in the forums) you could squeeze unreal power from those engines,and even more from the updated model 466  The other optional engine GM small pickups was going to be the 6.6  404 CID with a turbo added .... The 404 engine had a turbo in just a few 30 series tractors, and just a couple in the 20 series between that one, and the 466 ... The 466 was the only one that came without a turbo for tractors in the 40 series but the only model i know of was the (rare) 4240.... In that series.....(i wanted one of those with the 8 speed full power shift + HFWD 4 wheel drive, cab, self leveling loader, and the heavy duel hubs, the  big bro 4440 466 had a turbo.....i would like to have seen what each machine could do... Another thing is... The track condition..... Was dry and more like normal tillage ready farm use, you do not work up soil with a overly high moisture level... Unless you wish to be tilling in concrete when said and done .... Soil needs to be at a certain moisture level.... So i like this because those guys were getting close to what it's really like pulling heavy tillage equipment ..... Wet conditions serve for better traction... Which in my book is cheating some.... To be honest.... Truth is best and tractors will loose traction more in dry conditions then in high moisture soil... The boys down user have it going in IMO .... Also .... one owner spoke of the stock horse power being 165 nope  130 horse from a stock 4440 and 104 from a 4430 which didnt have the 7.6 466 .... it came with the 6.6 404 notice a few things missing from that pulling engine ?!  No water pump no accessory drive at all every little bit that engine has to do can cost a win ....Cheers mate! 

specs for the 7.6 466 CID powered 4440 light duty (tested) draw bar 112 hp and the pto (tested) 130 hp

Specs for the 6.6 404 CID powered 4430 tractor ---(tested) draw bar 104 hp and the pto (tested) 125 hp

Hey fish.... GM might have had something to run with the legendary 5.9, and the 6.7 .... I recon we will never know..... IMO dodge hit one that hasn't landed yet.... Just need to stick with a plain engine, and stuff all that other emissions bull ! where the sun don't shine

image.jpg

image.jpg

International Harvester 400 Diesel Twin Engine Garrett Tractor - 

image.png

• Like 1

I've seen these before... Usefull on tracters mainly used for pulling loads primarily on rosd ways going from field to farm... , and bushhogging on mostly flat land and places where thorns and inflated type tire damage  can be very costly.... Yet traction is little to no issue... Some call them bushog tailing, or solid wheels... You can see there these are solid ... And do not inflate (flat proof) and don't make for a soft ride... But these updated deers have a very nice built seat suspension.... Most likely hydraulically assisted.... 

image.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

International Harvester 400 Diesel Twin Engine Garrett Tractor - 

image.png

Fish I've bee tryin to get this to load .....for some reason this one wont , can you post a link or kinda give an idea of what this is about I'm thinking classic tractors maybe custom builds and I've always liked people that try and keep the classic iron running and in good shape ? I think it's going to really good just by the description up top... This junk I'm running is working great, so i  don't know of it's holiday net traffic or what,  but IF ? I had to guess I'd say net traffic choking things up... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Fish I've bee tryin to get this to load .....for some reason this one wont , can you post a link or kinda give an idea of what this is about I'm thinking classic tractors maybe custom builds and I've always liked people that try and keep the classic iron running and in good shape ? I think it's going to really good just by the description up top... This junk I'm running is working great, so i  don't know of it's holiday net traffic or what,  but IF ? I had to guess I'd say net traffic choking things up... 

Try this link 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Try this link 

Did it work for you.  

• Thanks 1

Well worth watching thanks fish..... Ha! I like him.... Wouldn't mind shaking his hand.. At all. I wasn't surprised when he said he wasn't into hot rods.... Lol.....nice collection of modified old iron, that last one is a new one on me...... Very interesting critter....chain drive..... And how the design is that allows the front to pivot from front to back rather  then side to side  side kinda Reminds me of a skid steer.... And I'd like to see his build on one (of two engines) with power from one engine going to one seperate back wheel and the other engine powering the other wheel.

yeah worked prefect,   fish thank you for reporting! 

• Like 1