A&M OFFROAD

Hello!

I'm from Arkansas! Got recommend this forum by a guy on youtube. He's one of the moderators here! Nice to see a community of honda people! 

I have a 2002 honda 400ex it's my first 4 wheeler, and I can tell you I love it! I've done quite a bit of work to it and mainly just working on getting it running good again. I basically stole it for $500 from someone who didn't want it and neglected it pretty bad. 

I was so excited to get one I actually started my own youtube channel! A&M OFFROAD! If anyone would be interested I'll post the link but if not glad to be here! I'll filter through some posts and see what it's all about! Thanks!

20200907_182222_0000.png

IMG_20200830_132622.jpg

IMG_20200830_132611.jpg

• Like 2

welcome to our forums !. arkansas here, dead center of state, i doubt it was me who pointed ya here ?, i don't have a youtube channel..lol.

• Like 1

i'm not much for sport atvs ?, but i do see you/PO added a fan to the front ?, i'm pretty sure they did not come with fans ?. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you found us A & M.  Most of us are utility folks but yes slammed is a sporty guy.  Nice looking machine you have there.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! Yes the fan is something I added my self to help with heat issues. It seems to do an alright job but I'm thinking about adding a spal fan on the stock oil cooler like slammedranger suggested! Maybe even help it cool off more. 

I love utility quads too! After going out riding this past weekend I kind of wish I had one some of the guys I was with had to keep pulling me out 😂

• Like 1

Welcome brother!

I'm in NW AR too.

Aftermarket oil cooler mods are great on the 400s!

Increasing radiator surface area basically solves cooling issues. No fan required

I have a mod on my 04 which adds a radiator from a transmission (350 Chevy?)

Don't have any pictures of it on hand but I found one with a quick google that looks really similar. Guard off.

My wife and I both have 400s and private trails to ride...

rad400.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
  • Thanks 1

I've thought about an extra oil cooler too! Only issue is rocks my buddy's sling rocks at me all the time. U think that would be an issue. So you have one on yours and don't have any heat issues? Mine over heats when I go on any kind of small trail. At least in these temps weve been having!

3 minutes ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

I've thought about an extra oil cooler too! Only issue is rocks my buddy's sling rocks at me all the time. U think that would be an issue. So you have one on yours and don't have any heat issues? Mine over heats when I go on any kind of small trail. At least in these temps weve been having!

My guess...

Your oil screen(s) are clogged.

Stock 400 cooling is not perfect but you may have other issues...

See any silicone peaking out of the engine? Like where someone took it apart before?

Have you been into the screens? They may be partially plugged. It is super common on these...

Oil cooler mod in the photo is without a guard on. It just needs a plate with holes drilled in front to be good to go! Mine has a guard.

Yes I've had it all opened and cleaned both screens. Nothing was clogging it. Not sure about the actual radiator part tho I didn't flush that out. 

• Like 1

i was looking up the term corrugated an was not receiving any hits, i guess gutter guard comes close to what i'm thinking of. a sort of X shaped, screen. with plenty of air, or water to pass through. you would need some room in front of your radiator. least 1/4", though i lean 1/2, or so. you only got so many inches, in the front, to deflect things. might as well take advantage of them spaces.

Welcome!! 

Hmm sounds like a good idea. Will the cooler have any issue in the winter with the motor. It actually warming up fast enough? Or anything like that?

i'd think the x shaped screen might get blocked up with the snow , but with enough space in--between, the cooler should work just fine.  or' the heat from the engine. after all, the screen i'm talking about, just blocks rocks or such. it wouldnt interfere with the normal workings of the engine.

now the extra radiator, maybe a shut off flow valve, would be necessary in the winter, just a thought. open it in the warm months, closed in the cold times. sort of a shut off valve.

come to think of it,. exactly like a shut off valve.

open the extra radiator, when ya need it., for cooling.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

Welcome! If you bought that beat up and fixed it up. I'd say you did a good job!

I just got my first ATV...had wanted one for 30 yrs. Its a Utlity but these guys helped me get it running.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i'd think the x shaped screen might get blocked up with the snow , but with enough space in--between, the cooler should work just fine.  or' the heat from the engine. after all, the screen i'm talking about, just blocks rocks or such. it wouldnt interfere with the normal workings of the engine.

now the extra radiator, maybe a shut off flow valve, would be necessary in the winter, just a thought. open it in the warm months, closed in the cold times. sort of a shut off valve.

come to think of it,. exactly like a shut off valve.

open the extra radiator, when ya need it., for cooling.

Then I would probably have to run extra tubing and I don't know of I would like to have all of that stuff. Underneath there there wouldn't be much room. I might add a small cooler and see what happens but seeing as it's getting cooler I might not have to!

5 hours ago, LedFTed said:

33 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

Welcome! If you bought that beat up and fixed it up. I'd say you did a good job!

I just got my first ATV...had wanted one for 30 yrs. Its a Utlity but these guys helped me get it running.

I did fix it up! It was running tho when I bought it there just some really bad rigged stuff. Like the previous owner broke off the bung on the oil reservoir and shove the stick in there to try and stop it from leaking. Which didn't work at all it bent the internal oil screen but thankfully didn't break it cause that piece alone is $40. So I had to order a whole new oils tank. And just took it all apart and clean out as much as I could internally. Had to replace the cam chain which was a process! 

I've never worked on motors before this quad either so it was a big learning process for me but I've enjoyed the heck out it!

• Like 3

Howdy.  I'm fairly new here too.  Good looking machine you have there.

I wouldn't mind having a sport quad but I need mine for doing some work around the place so I thought that a utility would be a better choice.  I saw a Honda advertised a couple days ago as a TRX450 for an odd price of $2,2?? with no pictures.  It was advertised as low miles, adult owned and in good shape.   I don't know all of the Honda models but I was pretty sure that one was a sport quad.  I messaged the guy and left my number  but never heard back from him.  Must've been a good deal because it sold quick.

• Like 1