23 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Wow. 

So where it keys into the motor it sheared the shaft... that's some pretty serious torque. 

Was riding with a buddy the other day and we got to a large puddle in the road (couldn't drive around)

He wanted to blast through the water and I just decided that was far enough lol 

Water and mud are not friends of mine

yeah, the tang part that operates ( spins ) off the counter balancer sheared the tang all the way off when the rotor inside the pump seized up from mud !.

• Like 1

well, i got the rear torn down, and all i can say is...HOLY CRAP BAT MAN !!!. everything...and i mean EVERYTHING is shot on the rear end. here is some progress pics...two are from my nice cleaned up engine cases, the others..well..the reason YOU DO NOT MUD RIDE WITH TOO BIG OF TIRES !!!. so..all ya'll that want that '' cool '' factor ?..keep slapping crap on your atv...then start busting out the 100 dollar bills when you bring it to me..CUZ I'M GONNA NAIL YER BUTT TO THE WALL FOR CRAP LIKE THIS !!!.

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

• Like 4

update: well, just bit the bullet, and purchased a ton of new parts for the rear end, still need to locate a brake drum ?. sitting down ?. total for parts= $ 1,009.63 !!!!. there goes any profit i was gonna make off this build. i will have to ask $ 2.500.00 or more to make a dime off this build ?, and i don't see it for a 2wd model. still need a seat, i know that's another 100 bucks. and just so anyone ask ?..ALL PARTS ARE OEM FROM HONDA !..LOL. parts list: rear axle, ring gear, pinion gear, all new bearings and seals for the rear end, rear hubs, brake drum cover, swing arm bearings, rear brake shoes, rear brake cable, rear brake cable nuts and barrels , rear diff skid plate, drive shaft rubber seal, left rear axle bearing stopper, front brake pads, and last but not least, new gear position switch. i'm sure there will be more parts later, but for now, this is a ton of money i did not want to sink into a 2wd trx500tm !. ( sigh ).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

add another 100 bucks for a rear brake drum from G&H atv discount. ( sigh ).

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: well, just bit the bullet, and purchased a ton of new parts for the rear end, still need to locate a brake drum ?. sitting down ?. total for parts= $ 1,009.63 !!!!. there goes any profit i was gonna make off this build. i will have to ask $ 2.500.00 or more to make a dime off this build ?, and i don't see it for a 2wd model. still need a seat, i know that's another 100 bucks. and just so anyone ask ?..ALL PARTS ARE OEM FROM HONDA !..LOL. parts list: rear axle, ring gear, pinion gear, all new bearings and seals for the rear end, rear hubs, brake drum cover, swing arm bearings, rear brake shoes, rear brake cable, rear brake cable nuts and barrels , rear diff skid plate, drive shaft rubber seal, left rear axle bearing stopper, front brake pads, and last but not least, new gear position switch. i'm sure there will be more parts later, but for now, this is a ton of money i did not want to sink into a 2wd trx500tm !. ( sigh ).

Keep all those old rear end parts.  I'm not as picky about parts as you are.  I'd probably be willing to run some of that crap!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Keep all those old rear end parts.  I'm not as picky about parts as you are.  I'd probably be willing to run some of that crap!

lol, ok, just let me know, got rear brake drum, rear axle, both rear hubs, whats left of the brake drum cover, ring gear, pinion gear, and some bearings.

• Like 1

Your "junk" is probably better than what I'm running.

I use my best parts on the flips, but if it looks like it might work, I use it.

I'm just going to be in the mud and water anyway.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You know what I can't figure out , the cooler to the front of the atv cost $260+ , the cooler to the rear of the atv cost $60 , they look close to the same size , why so much more for the front one and why 2 in two different places 

35 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Your "junk" is probably better than what I'm running.

I use my best parts on the flips, but if it looks like it might work, I use it.

I'm just going to be in the mud and water anyway.  LOL

i don't do mud and water, when i rebuild mine , i only want to do it once !..lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You know what I can't figure out , the cooler to the front of the atv cost $260+ , the cooler to the rear of the atv cost $60 , they look close to the same size , why so much more for the front one and why 2 in two different places 

rear oil cooler is way smaller than the forward front oil cooler. i have no idea why honda put two oil coolers on these models ??.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

rear oil cooler is way smaller than the forward front oil cooler. i have no idea why honda put two oil coolers on these models ??.

this got my attention ... might this be some reason ? all 05 models.

trx500 fa a liquid cooled hondamatic trans
trx500 fe a double oil cooler foot shift trans
trx500 fgm a liquid cooled hondamatic trans
trx500 fm a double oil cooler foot shift trans
trx500 tm a double oil cooler foot shift trans

• Like 1

update: just placed another order ( sigh ), purchased parts to replace the front upper a-arm: bolt, collars, seals, foot brake cable, gear shift pedal, gear shift rubber, 2 inner tie rod ends, 2 outer tie rod ends, total : $ 176.45 for these parts. i have not torn the front hubs down to see how far the wheel bearings are ?, but me being smart enough to know when you run too large of tires ?, i'd be willing to bet the bearings are bad ?!. they can wait for right now, i've got other sticks in the fire to deal with. still no word on the crank , cylinder, piston kit ?, guess he's taking his time on this !. i've got plenty to keep me busy for now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

this got my attention ... might this be some reason ? all 05 models.

trx500 fa a liquid cooled hondamatic trans
trx500 fe a double oil cooler foot shift trans
trx500 fgm a liquid cooled hondamatic trans
trx500 fm a double oil cooler foot shift trans
trx500 tm a double oil cooler foot shift trans

i'm not following you here ?. are you trying to say with 2 oil coolers, this is the reason they all break down ?, if this is the case ?, your wrong big time !. this has nothing, AND I MEAN NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE MODELS HAVING 2 OIL COOLERS !. the reason these keep breaking down is simple: LACK OF SMARTS !!!, not taking care of worn out parts, using a 2wd for a mud machine, and flat out being stupid is the main cause !. granted, these models do have a defective oil drain set-up, and a defective 1st gear design, other than this ?, they are solid atvs for the most part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you ever wake up in the morning , get you  a stick , go out side and find you an ant pile

You know something I seen them low down , scum of the earth ,  no good , mud riding guys that are on stupid pills do :  they will run their atv into the ground , never fix nothing , rig everything up 1/2 butt'ed ,  turn them into a heep'ing pile of dog dew , then them mudders  sell them atvs to  people and say " it was never sunk " , then them people that buy them , spend a small fortune on them bringing them back from the dead , but ,  it becomes an upside down situation , they got more money into the atv than it is worth -----   LOL 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, shadetree said:

are you trying to say with 2 oil coolers, this is the reason they all break down ?

no no.....i wasn't suggesting two oil coolers was the cause .....  just that the hondamatic models have one radiator, and one oil cooler ... while the other models listed have two oil coolers ... i wasn't saying two oil oil coolers is the reason for a short life span...but ( mudding, and lack of smarts)   as you mentioned would be  my thoughts as well... i wouldn't even take a 4wd mudding ... much less a 2wd ... just making an observation ... why certain models have two oil coolers got my attention..... 

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no no.....i wasn't suggesting two oil coolers was the cause .....  just that the hondamatic models have one radiator, and one oil cooler ... while the other models listed have two oil coolers ... i wasn't saying two oil oil coolers is the reason for a short life span...but ( mudding, and lack of smarts)   as you mentioned would be  my thoughts as well... i wouldn't even take a 4wd mudding ... much less a 2wd ... just making an observation ... why certain models have two oil coolers got my attention..... 

simple: the auto's are liquid cooled.

• Like 1

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

right.... but why two oil coolers on the foot shifts ? I'm like you, makes no sence .... 

i can't answer this, i do not know why honda put two oil coolers on them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

i can't answer this, i do not know why honda put two oil coolers on them.

I can speak on this a bit...

On the 400ex the cooling is just slightly inadequate if you are not moving and it is hot. On the big air cooled engines the standard oil cooler just was almost enough and rather than redesign the entire cooling system they added another small cooler and sent it. Honda is making money hand over fist and cost of designing another product, profits, etc... they just used an available solution. 

Read about this somewhere... probably the old forums.

The oil pumps can handle more volume as well no problem which is why the cooler mod on 400ex is really nice. No pump upgrades needed.

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Did you ever wake up in the morning , get you  a stick , go out side and find you an ant pile

You don't keep your ant-pokin-stick near the bedside table? I bet you do...😂

Edited by oh400ex

12 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I can speak on this a bit...

On the 400ex the cooling is just slightly inadequate if you are not moving and it is hot. On the big air cooled engines the standard oil cooler just was almost enough and rather than redesign the entire cooling system they added another small cooler and sent it. Honda is making money hand over fist and cost of designing another product, profits, etc... they just used an available solution. 

Read about this somewhere... probably the old forums.

The oil pumps can handle more volume as well no problem which is why the cooler mod on 400ex is really nice. No pump upgrades needed.

You don't keep your ant-pokin-stick near the bedside table? I bet you do...😂

in other words..A WASTE OF MONEY !..LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have 3 atvs with double stacked OEM coolers , something I added ---- something I experienced is , the cooler alone doesn't do much without  air flow thru it , I can touch the inlet and fell the heat with the fan off  , once the fan is clicked on for just 30 seconds or so , you can fell the difference , I am a believe in oil coolers 

• Like 1

05-06 have two oil coolers.

07-11 have one, which is bigger.

I figure the started with two separate, figuring that it would be more effective, but then switched to one larger one, to save money.

• Like 1

@jeepwm69, sorry bro. catfish wanted the used parts from the trx500tm today when he dropped off the cylinder, crank, and piston kit, i said you could have them ?, but he asked for them, had to hand them over seeing how he paid for brand new parts.

• Like 1

update: well, some good news, and some bad news today !. got my crank, cylinder, shindy piston kit in, MOST of my large orders from rmatv, and partzilla ( had to get the pinion gear from partzilla, rmatv did not have it in stock ), got my new rear brake drum in SNAIL MAIL in my mail box, only part that i ordered from rmatv that i placed on one of my large order's was the new rear axle, they show it to be here on the 11th by fedex , which is on a sunday...AND I KNOW FEDEX DOES NOT RUN ON SUNDAYS HERE !. then i got one last order from rmatv, have no idea where the freak it's at ?, cuz when i go to track it, it says ( pretty much...( we wont tell you where its at ! )..lol. i called rmatv right after i had a chat session  with someone, got the same ole b.s. as to why they split orders up, but only give you one tracking number ?!. finally called them, AND LET THEM HAVE IT..BOTH FREAKING BARRELS !!!. some of ya'll will take this crap..and let carriers get by with getting over on you ?..I WON'T PUT UP WITH THE CRAP !. anyway, after my blood pressure goes back down, maybe i might try putting my engine together ?..oh wait...i can't ?..CUZ I STILL DON'T HAVE THE FREAKING OIL PUMP THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE HERE 2 DAYS AGO ??!!!..WELL CRAP !!.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1