A&M OFFROAD

Carrier bearing

Im in the process of replacing my carrier bearing and just wanted to put some pictures up here to see if I need to replace this. It's the brake disc mounting bracket that slides on to my axle. It's pretty rough looking and just wanted some more experience opinions. I planned on going out this Saturday for a ride but if it's to rough and I have to buy a new one I won't be able to

IMG_20200917_083943.jpg

IMG_20200917_083935.jpg

You will basically have to clean it up and put it back together to find out...

It looks pretty rough but doesn't really matter if the new bearing goes on without play.

I've got a few spare of these if for whatever reason it doesn't work out!

Not too expensive though... $40 for a used one on eBay or Amazon

44615-HN1-000

Thanks! I just know to get it off I had to hammer it off it was so stuck on there. So I'll try tonight when I get off work when I out it all together. Thanks for the part number!

• Like 1

Yeah that sprocket hub is toast bud. I always take them off with my press. It can be done with a big sledge hammer though. It will have to be forced inward first to get the C clip out then forced outward and off. They do always look alittle rough but there is no inner edge there to hold tight against the bearing inner race anymore. This is why i change mine yearly no matter what. I also run double row and get them from napa. National bearing. It is the same as a a/c compressor pulley bearing for a chevy s10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This isn't the sprocket hub tho it's the brake one. And when I out it together this morning it seemed to all price together. The c clip wasn't even on anything when I pulled all this stuff off it was just loose on the axle. I guess I'm confused as to what part your referring to. Because it's not really a bearing it's like got splines and stuff on it

2 hours ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

This isn't the sprocket hub tho it's the brake one. And when I out it together this morning it seemed to all price together. The c clip wasn't even on anything when I pulled all this stuff off it was just loose on the axle. I guess I'm confused as to what part your referring to. Because it's not really a bearing it's like got splines and stuff on it

My fault. I misunderstood what I was looking at and thought it was the front...

That is the part on the rear axle that holds the brake disc in place. 

With the new bearings in the carrier it should be fine.

I replaced my bearing carrier with a grease-able one and would recommend the same 

Part number that I posted earlier was totally wrong...

Idk what happened with that last reply of mine I'm still getting used to this site. But I did actually get a grease able one and I'm gonna attempt to put it all back together tonight so we shall see how it goes

That intro music has got to go...

About 10 years too late for the ear blasting dubstep 😆

Honestly? I would have clicked off the video without giving it a second look after that first bit if I was just browsing...

This video could have been WAY shorter as well. The more editing time the better! 

Don't worry about the 10 minutes deal until you are over 100k subs. Mid-roll ads won't do much for you and that is the only reason to do +10min runtime uploads.

There is a lot of people searching ATV content so keep it family friendly and you will definitely see the growth!

Watching through your build right now and just got to the RTV on the clutch cover bit...

Oof. That one made me cringe.

You did so good on most things. You were just talking about changing the oil immediately after startup but before riding and I was like yes! but then you did the silicone 😅

That will clog up the screen so quick... I think you know now but just wait for the new gasket next time.

It will be WAY easier for you to let it sit another day when you have more than one to ride lol

I LOVE how black zip ties look on Honda's red fenders but some people hate em 😁

My other ones were brighter... lol 

Drop in LED's are not any good unless there is one on the end shining forward.

My 400's LEDs are not good either but I don't ride much at night

Edited by oh400ex

4 hours ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

Gotcha this is the other side. The one im taking about the drive sprocket goes on. Either way it is toast. There should be a flat step in it that sits against the inner race of the bearing. You can see in your picture that part is gone. It may tighten up but will ruin the new bearings in short order. Also you are missing alot of the flat surface the seals ride. So since you ride mud and water this will kill that carrier in even shorter order. Someone let this axle run on a bearing that went real real bad at one point.

Screenshot_20200917-182749_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Btw. If this side is that bad the sprocket hub side is going to be worse. Since all the torque of the machine will pull the axle out of center when the bearings fail. I have personally never seen a brake hub that bad. And i have seen people run these until they seize up completely. It never eats up the brake hub side.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

I have personally never seen a brake hub that bad.

I have. From my perspective it isn't that rare... not sure why.

I agree that if that side is smoked, the other side and the hub splines are likely worn too.
Never seen one that was this worn and still had good hubs...

Would permanently weld the hubs to the axle to "fix" but to service anything you need to grind it off and re-weld.

Not a great solution but as a poor kid we didn't have other options...

18 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I have. From my perspective it isn't that rare... not sure why.

I agree that if that side is smoked, the other side and the hub splines are likely worn too.
Never seen one that was this worn and still had good hubs...

Would permanently weld the hubs to the axle to "fix" but to service anything you need to grind it off and re-weld.

Not a great solution but as a poor kid we didn't have other options...

The reason its not rare is the 400ex has a really weak carrier bearing. With stock single row bearings you cant jump on them very much before you get inner race detonation. The other problem people have is getting the jam nut back on the right way. 99.9% of them i have seen have it on wrong. It will come loose all the time and ruin the bearings quickly. I personally drench my axle lock nut and jam nut in red locktite and i wrap the whole assembly in electrical tape making sure to leave the loose end of the tape opposite the rotational direction. That is the only way i have found to get them to stay tight for the whole year of non stop abuse. When i remove it at the end of the year my map gas torch breaks the bond on the red locktite and comes right off.

Now wheel hubs coming loose is a whole seperate issue. In no way related at all to the carrier failure. But again alot of people struggle with keeping the castle nut tight and it ruins the splines. I have a rpm dominator 2 axle on my quad and i put a big drop of red locktite on both castle nuts and torque them to 75 ft lbs. That again will keep them tight for the whole year of abuse.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Now wheel hubs coming loose is a whole separate issue. In no way related at all to the carrier failure. 

Sorry for the confusion. I'm really batting 1000 today...

Didn't mean to say that they would be related to each other but that they usually fail at the same time.

As you said, people don't tighten the axle and castle nuts correctly and cause the whole rear end to fail.

It seems like almost every stock 400 I work on has rear end issues.

Electrical tape wrap is something I have never seen...

1 minute ago, oh400ex said:

Sorry for the confusion. I'm really batting 1000 today...

Didn't mean to say that they would be related to each other but that they usually fail at the same time.

As you said, people don't tighten the axle and castle nuts correctly and cause the whole rear end to fail.

It seems like almost every stock 400 I work on has rear end issues.

Electrical tape wrap is something I have never seen...

No worries bud. Your all good. I just hope this dude sees these posts before he ruins his carrier. And yeah the electrical tape wrap is something i learned from a buddy of mine whos son races. He wraps the axle right next to the sprocket hub to keep mud out of the exposed splines also. But the red locktite is the most important part. The tape is more to keep corrosion and mud out of the assembly. But this is my 5th year doing that proceedure and havent had one come loose yet. I also buy really high quality bearings and i get my seals from a local electric motor rebuild shop. They are triple lip with a spring garter. Keeps everything out of the bearings. I also remove the inner seals on the bearings and pump the carrier full of grease. As i run a lonestar carrier with a zerk fitting. Eventually when i get tired of changing bearings yearly or i have them start failing quicker i will get me a rpm taper bearing carrier and hopefully get 2 or 3 years out of it. But its pricey and yearly changing bearings isnt that bad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

No worries bud. Your all good. I just hope this dude sees these posts before he ruins his carrier. 

You think it would ruin the carrier? Just wondering why?

The inner race sits on the bearing surface but does it actually transfer much load? 

My understanding is that the load is transferred though the bearing to the axle without putting much pressure on this part...

What am I missing? 

I don't race or ride in the mud but I do wheelie a lot. Never had to replace a bearing carrier twice though.

Edited by oh400ex

To properly tighten the axle nut you have to be able to crank down preload on the bearings. This is the reason there is a sleeve in between the bearings. You tighten the nut with a hub with not enough flat surface it turns into a wedge. It will eventually force its way into the inner race and the bearing will detonate. My quad i have now had this happen. Previous owner wasnt exactly the sharpest tool in the tool shed. He ran it until it locked up. It ruined the sprocket hub. He then baught a brandnew lonestar carrier. Cranked the nut tight and he made it 20 minutes after fixing it before it seized again. He accepted his inability to fix it and traded it to me. I fixed it at his house so i could ride it before doing the trade. I am running the lonestar carrier he put on it rightnow lol. I keep 2 carriers so i can rebuild one with new bearings and seals and have it ready for battle lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess i kinda worded that wrong. It wont ruin the carrier. It will ruin the bearings. But to alot of people that does ruin the carrier. Most just replace both. I personally have a shop press and just rebuild mine. But the biggest issue for this dude is he has told me he keeps the airbox lid on because he rides alot of mud. And deeper water. His hubs (and i say hubs because im sure both are bad). Are not gunna have any place for the seals to ride. Which will allow all that mud and water a nice open gap to come right on in and ruin the bearings again.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

I guess i kinda worded that wrong. It wont ruin the carrier. It will ruin the bearings. But to alot of people that does ruin the carrier. Most just replace both. I personally have a shop press and just rebuild mine. But the biggest issue for this dude is he has told me he keeps the airbox lid on because he rides alot of mud. And deeper water. His hubs (and i say hubs because im sure both are bad). Are not gunna have any place for the seals to ride. Which will allow all that mud and water a nice open gap to come right on in and ruin the bearings again.

Makes total sense. The seals won't do their job because of the wear on the mating surface and will let debris in eventually (sooner than later) ruining the bearings.

That would also explain why I wouldn't have much wear even though I may have reinstalled with some damage to the hub. Water and grit.

Thank you for the clarification! 

How long of a time are we talking before it fails? Like one ride? I was really hoping to go this Saturday. Would it be okay if I stayed clear of water and mud at least for the day and then ordered a new part? 

I can't recall the sprocket side being that bad. 

And most of my videos are months out so alot has changed than what's on the videos that are out right now like even this week that stuff was done almost two months ago

15 minutes ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

How long of a time are we talking before it fails? Like one ride? I was really hoping to go this Saturday. Would it be okay if I stayed clear of water and mud at least for the day and then ordered a new part? 

I can't recall the sprocket side being that bad. 

And most of my videos are months out so alot has changed than what's on the videos that are out right now like even this week that stuff was done almost two months ago

Im gunna say someone changed that sprocket hub. Or you are the first ever that the brake side bearing failed on the carrier and sprocket side didnt. My mind is throughly blown! But yeah just avoid water and mud for the day and you should be fine. Dont corner real hard if possible. Dont go full send into left corners atleast lol