Hailstatedogs

Foreman Crankcase

Greetings!  I’m new to the web site and somewhat new to working on four wheelers.  My dad and I purchased an 07 Foreman 500 ES with the intent of rebuilding it.  We completely disassembled the motor, cleaned it up, replaced some parts, and got it put back together.  We had an issue with getting the clutch cover back on and had to use some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet (lesson learned).  Needless to say, when we got it reinstalled in the frame, hooked everything back up, and added the engine oil, I noticed a hairline crack in the clutch cover that oil was slowly leaking from.  Before taking it back off the bike, we decided to see it it would crank, and it fired up almost instantly, but the manual shift shaft wouldn’t budge (was also like that when I bought it).  We took the clutch cover back off, and the gears changed easily.  We determined the crankshaft trying to fit into the clutch cover bearing put everything in a bind, so we now have everything torn down again and will make a more careful attempt at reinstalling the crankshaft.  However, when I split the cases again, I noticed something that doesn’t look right.  Having never done this before, however, I was hoping someone with some experience could look at the pictures and verify my fear that the crankcase half is cracked.  I’d desperately like to be wrong and chalk this up to casting imperfections, so any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

658862C3-5BD9-4786-B45B-BBEA48CF6C32.jpeg

8EE4D359-4AE5-4DB8-82B2-5C2AD32FEE2B.jpeg

B0EF99ED-5E51-4818-ACDC-0385DD81574D.jpeg

28C61D1B-C146-4157-8FD4-91E9B6CFE206.jpeg

F1F4A529-63B3-4960-B451-23597F12D0B5.jpeg

Hail' , welcome to the forums ------  usually 10 out of 10 times when someone ask about cracks in the case , I would say casing cracks , but this time you have a couple that look like cracks , lets see what others have to say 

Eh, I think those are casting flaws, nothing more.

You can see some similar flaws in one of the motors I did.

Check the end of your crank and see if it's ballooned from someone smacking on it with a hammer. 

• Like 1

If you don't have a lot of money invested in the case i.e. new bearings, new crank etc. etc., I would just run it. They're probably casing cracks. Stick a thin gasket/seal pick down in the holes and see what you get prying a little if you want. I just rebuilt my transmission on my 06 and had some areas that looked very similar with less pitting. Never blinked an eye at them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hailstatedogs said:

I noticed a hairline crack in the clutch cover that oil was slowly leaking from.

i'd say casting flaws ... nothing more ..  but you did mention an oil leek 

I say casting flaws as well. These are made from Die Castings. The alumimum forms that type of feature when it cools in the mold. I had that fear on mine in a few places but looked and they looked like flaws. Do you see the same mark in the same spot on the back to say they are a thru crack(I don't think they are cracks). I just looked at my 450 rebuild thread this summer. I have flaws but not as many as you. I'd say it was cooling too quick in their mold but I'm not an expert. 

I'd put it back together and be careful of the clutch cover. It should go together lovingly but not need a hammer.

Edited by 87Iroc

44 minutes ago, shadetree said:

casting flaws, but dont smack it with a hammer !.

listen to the guy.  And don’t buy Chinese parts.  It’s an unforgivable sin

• Haha 1