RubiDan

ATV For Grandkids

I know I might get tarred and feathered for putting this one here but I'll do it anyway and take the risk.  First off I'd rather have a Honda but getting one in good condition and a good price is hard to do and I really don't feel like a project.  I'm wanting something that is reliable and don't want anything that needs very much work on it.  I found a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250 that looks to be in very good shape except for the tires and a rip in the seat.  The tires look to be original.  They're asking $1,000 for it but I should be able to get it for a little less.  Do any of you know how good these are or aren't?  All opinions are welcome.

https://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_8Z7viXb7QLn_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00J0J_2oVGvvKx69S_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Edited by RubiDan
add pics
  • Like 2

Won’t get my grief. I’ve owned a brand new 1994 Bayou 220 & would own another. They were beasts! So fast! I got nailed by the cops going 90km/hr in a 50Km/hr.  Tough bikes. Didn’t know that ever made a 250 though only 220 & 300

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

It looks really clean and I'd bet most of the time it was ridden on asphalt and that may be why the tires are worn as much as they are.

• Like 2

I'll be that guy...

Bayou is possibly the worst ATV of all time and I would NEVER consider it as an option.

That one looks really clean and is priced right. It would likely do everything you need it to do without any problems...

I would still skip it. Honda Recon is what you want.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

I'll agree 100% that a Recon is what I want if I could find a clean one for a good price.  I have found a couple but they sold before I could get to them.  I'd even consider a Rancher even though I think that's more than what they need.  Maybe I'll get lucky and this one will sell before I can get to it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I'll agree 100% that a Recon is what I want if I could find a clean one for a good price.  I have found a couple but they sold before I could get to them.  I'd even consider a Rancher even though I think that's more than what they need.  Maybe I'll get lucky and this one will sell before I can get to it. 

Are you looking on FB marketplace?

CL is kinda old-hat for selling four wheelers 

• Like 1

I'm looking on facebook quite a bit too.  CL is loaded with scams but it's usually not too hard to pick them out.  I looked for a long time before I found mine and it was on facebook.  This guy had his number on there and it matched with the area.  I sent him a text but he hasn't replied yet.  I'll probably pass this one up and wait for a Honda even if I have to pay more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Bayou is possibly the worst ATV of all time and I would NEVER consider it as an option.

there not a honda ... ... but as for as possibly the worst atv ?? i think Polaris still holds that trophy high... IMO it's a good looking machine .. at one time there were a few running around my area ... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I'll probably pass this one up and wait for a Honda even if I have to pay more.

Smart move IMO 👍

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

there not a honda ... ... but as for as possibly the worst atv ?? i think Polaris still holds that trophy high... IMO it's a good looking machine .. at one time there were a few running around my area ... 

Everyone goes from their personal experience and mine with the Bayou could not be worse. 

I am so thankful that I'm not being brought these anymore. Have a bit of a soft spot for Polaris because the scrambler was so fun... but I would have to agree overall they are the king of avoid this brand.

• Like 1

Man the old Kawasaki 300's in the 90's were some tough machines.  Had hi and low range too.

I'm not familiar with the 250's, but the 220's and 300's were tough back in the day.

Friend of mine still has a 98ish 300 Bayou.  Honda parts are cheaper, and Hondas are easier to work on, but those old Bayous weren't bad bikes at all in my experience.

• Like 3

I sent a message this morning and I got one back that said pending.  Now to find a nice cheap Recon.  It is possible but harder to do.

Rebuilt a Bayou 250 engine in 2017 - machine was overall very clean, but the timing chain let go and tore some stuff up inside

After rebuild, it ran very quiet and smooth and what I noticed is that pulled really hard and fast all they way thru the very last gear

I was impressed for a small machine

I was sold on Honda along time ago, but I could see the comparable Japanese quality inside the older motor that you do not see so much now days.

I also pulled a Bayou 300 4x4 out of the weeds years ago when I was first starting out for $100.00-owner just wanted it gone

It needed a front gear box that I got off ebay for 50.00 shipped

Had not been started in many years but it had had a tarp over it and was pretty clean

Got a new battery and went to turn it over to get oil flowing and Boom! it fired right up on the oldest smelling gas I have ever smelled- the fumes just about killed you while it was running

No idea how it ran on that gas but I had much respect for that....With fresh gas and oil change it literally ran like new

Cleaned it up and sold for 1500- buyer was super happy and so was I....

My biggest Kawasaki gripe is on on the inside of the engine (and any others that do.... --ARCTIC CAT)

Why put red loctited phillips headed screws inside an engine case?- dear lord what a pain to remove.....

I tried heat and impact and every trick I knew and managed got a couple out but had to tackweld a nut on 2 just to get them out

I know red loctite takes heat to remove but these were just insane thought I was going to ruin the cases

Anyways, although I am partial to Honda, I would recommend an older Bayou 220/250 or a 300 any day, if they are in good shape they will last a long time

and would make a good machine for a young one to start out out on

Just my 2 cents

Good luck and let us know what you find/settle on

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

The Recon is #1 on the list of wants and has been from the start but I'll still consider other brands if I find a good clean one for a good price.  I don't think I'll go out of the Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki brands though.  I owned a Suzuki PE 400 a long time ago and it was a great machine so if I find an Eiger for cheap I'll consider that.  It might take awhile to buy one because I'll be picky and I'm cheap.  

46 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

The Recon is #1 on the list of wants and has been from the start but I'll still consider other brands if I find a good clean one for a good price.  I don't think I'll go out of the Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki brands though.  I owned a Suzuki PE 400 a long time ago and it was a great machine so if I find an Eiger for cheap I'll consider that.  It might take awhile to buy one because I'll be picky and I'm cheap.  

hardest part right now locating a good deal is hunting season is nearing, and a ton of 4-wheelers will be up for sale everywhere.

• Like 2

An old Suzuki king quad in super low is decent for a kid, top speed 25kms...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBRider said:

An old Suzuki king quad in super low is decent for a kid, top speed 25kms...

There was a 200X or some such King Quad for sale like yesterday in my area. I laughed because it had the same 80s speedometer as my friends 87. See if I can find it. Up in Cedar lake. So 3 hrs north of me even...

image.png

Edited by 87Iroc

Have you thought about picking up a Recon from the dealer?

I know there is a tax associated with buying a dealer-wheeler but they are reasonable priced and shops are getting ready to deal on them this winter.

At my local Honda we can request they find a used bike and they guys will look around for one from another shop they can ship in.

Maybe they do something similar at your Honda. There are some Recon trade-ins from people who thought it was enough bike when they bought it.

Just a thought if you haven't barked up that tree...

• Like 1

I have but didn't really want to spend that much money.  I was wanting to keep it at $2,000 or less but may go more if a good deal comes along.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I have but didn't really want to spend that much money.  I was wanting to keep it at $2,000 or less but may go more if a good deal comes along.  

If you haven't already put a call into the dealer and ask them to find you one for your price. I have had amazing luck with that. Someone will bring in their trade in and it will be a little rough so they don't want to mess with it and just send it out the door to one of the guys waiting and never list it or anything. There are flippers that basically buy anything the dealer doesn't want here but they are always wiling to let the individual get a crack at it. Might be different where you are. We arguably have the best Honda shop anywhere in the world here in Arkansas. They get their own branded bike line the dealer sells so many lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

if you know of any good local atv shops with a good reputation .... I'd check there 1st ... if you head a major dealer ... they will not  cut you a deal... but rather keep you looking at more expensive .. off brand machine... .. and stay clear of Facebook atv's for sell.. i would post here ... in wanted ... jeep, or shade ... might be able to hook you up, at least that's where i would  look 1st .. 

• Like 1

I'll check some of the dealers and see what they say.  I know of at least one shop that sells atvs but don't know anything about them.  The worst part about buying from a dealer is the taxes, fees and they usually want top price for their stuff.

I actually saw some good deals on craigslist and mainly facebook before I bought my Rubicon but didn't want to spend money on them until I bought something for myself.  I'm not a very patient person but I force myself to be when it comes to something like this.  It took me several months before I bought my Rubicon and I'm willing to wait for another deal. 

I'm wanting something in pretty good shape and the main reason for that is if it looks good then it's probably been treated well.  I know that's not always true but It's a good place to start and I'll probably be able to tell if the mechanical parts aren't right.    

• Like 2

98 Recon 250 | $500 list price | 400 miles or 6 hours away from Mt. Washington (Linn Mo)

"Properly Maintained"

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/snw/d/linn-honda-recon-250-properly-maintained/7195107206.html

Not sure if they are out there closer to you but near me they are available.

I forget sometimes how blessed we are with the Honda dealer compared to some others. 

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

98 Recon 250 | $500 list price | 400 miles or 6 hours away from Mt. Washington (Linn Mo)

"Properly Maintained"

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/snw/d/linn-honda-recon-250-properly-maintained/7195107206.html

Not sure if they are out there closer to you but near me they are available.

I forget sometimes how blessed we are with the Honda dealer compared to some others. 

Thanks and I appreciate you being on the lookout for me but I'm pretty sure that one is a scam that I've saw before in a different location.  The phone number has a Fort Worth, Texas area code 682.  I'm going to try my best to stay within about a four hour (hopefully less) drive but for the right deal I'd drive farther if they would commit to not selling it after I left home.

Just out of curiosity what is the Honda dealer that you go to.  More than likely it would be too far for me to drive.

Thanks again

• Like 1