RubiDan

ATV For Grandkids

3 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I'll check some of the dealers and see what they say.  I know of at least one shop that sells atvs but don't know anything about them. 

wise choice....I'd deal with a local shop  if i could... if your considering ... that one... I'd sure contact the seller and inquire about that blackness on the wheels , and why the add on brush guards ... plus the front tires being flipped ... plus the handle bars are bent to left hand side. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

i gotta ask...how much cash do you want to spend if it needs fixing up ?, i know my bud has an '06 trx250 recon, it needs some new plastics, tires, engine does run, maybe even a seat . but he would let it go cheap for you if you wanted to make the drive to here. let me know, i'll can call him, and ask what he wants for it ? :-). also, if ya buy it, and want to spend the cash to replace parts on it, you buy the parts, i'll fix it here, then when you come back to pick it up, i'll have it looking like new for your grand kid :-).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oh400ex said:

98 Recon 250 | $500 list price | 400 miles or 6 hours away from Mt. Washington (Linn Mo)

"Properly Maintained"

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/snw/d/linn-honda-recon-250-properly-maintained/7195107206.html

Not sure if they are out there closer to you but near me they are available.

I forget sometimes how blessed we are with the Honda dealer compared to some others. 

this ad is a scam, i've seen it all over the nation..lol.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wise choice....I'd deal with a local shop  if i could... if your considering ... that one... I'd sure contact the seller and inquire about that blackness on the wheels , and why the add on brush guards ... plus the front tires being flipped ... plus the handle bars are bent to left hand side. 

image.jpg

who the heck takes pic's so dang far back ??..lol. when i sell an atv ?, i take close up pics...this way..it does not show like i am hiding something !..lol.

• Like 3

Rubi' , how old and how big are your grandkids ? --- from you mentioning a Kawasaki Bayou 250 at first ,  so I would figure 12-15 , a 250 would be a good size for them , I know adults that have 250s , so your grandkids  won't grow out of it any time soon , I would stick with Honda , they are reliable , more of them out there , so help and used parts would be a plus  --- if 2wd is all you need , I would say a Recon 250 or a Fourtrax300 2wd are your two choices , unless they would be more into sport than a TRX250EX 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

who the heck takes pic's so dang far back ??..lol. when i sell an atv ?, i take close up pics...this way..it does not show like i am hiding something !..lol.

yea.... i was thinking the same ... lol! you want detail... you want  close ups, and post just one add with many pics, that bike was not taken well care of IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

You sure its this one? They usually don't leave a phone number.

I wouldn't be too surprised but normally no phone on the scams...

250ex would be an awesome choice to as you could get some sport bike riding out of your system too lol

• Like 1

i think maybe he should contact the seller ... via email... for more detail.... that's my 02 .... that would be the right size, plus ... @RubiDan never mentioned anything about a small sport honda ... maybe because this is first dealings, and he would like to get his grand kids riding..I'm all in for getting kids involved in out door activities ...  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i think maybe he should contact the seller ... via email... for more detail.... that's my 02 .... that would be the right size, plus ... @RubiDan never mentioned anything about a small sport honda ... maybe because this is first dealings, and he would like to get his grand kids riding..I'm all in for getting kids involved in out door activities ...  

On 9/15/2020 at 3:05 PM, RubiDan said:

I wouldn't mind having a sport quad

He said that in A&M's introduction and his grandkids were both something like 10 so he would have to throttle back the 250ex a bit but that is so easy. Still a good choice IMO 

Edit: Recon is better machine overall but 250ex would be more fun for Rubi and the kids when the get a bit older

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Recon is better machine overall but 250ex would be more fun for Rubi and the kids when the get a bit older

i have to agree ... let the little ones gown into to the sport of riding, and step up as years go on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

image.jpg

Good eye on the brush guards and bent handlebars.  I noticed the black on the wheels.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

i gotta ask...how much cash do you want to spend if it needs fixing up ?, i know my bud has an '06 trx250 recon, it needs some new plastics, tires, engine does run, maybe even a seat . but he would let it go cheap for you if you wanted to make the drive to here. let me know, i'll can call him, and ask what he wants for it ? :-). also, if ya buy it, and want to spend the cash to replace parts on it, you buy the parts, i'll fix it here, then when you come back to pick it up, i'll have it looking like new for your grand kid :-).

I appreciate the offer but I just checked and Little Rock is over 500 miles from me and my truck is a gas hog (6.2 Super Duty).  It does sound tempting though knowing that it would be checked out thoroughly.

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

You sure its this one? They usually don't leave a phone number.

I wouldn't be too surprised but normally no phone on the scams...

You were right. What's new... sun also came up today 😅

They texted back with the old "yeah im working so just shoot me an email to blah blah blah" 

I didn't mean to put anyone in the path of that... sorry!

• Like 1

I'd rather have a Recon but a 250EX would be a possibility.  Heck, I would probably have some fun on one of those.  The main thing that I'm looking for is reliability and Honda is the most likely to fill that requirement.  I know anything can break down but I just don't feel like working on things very much anymore.  I found an 80cc Yamaha the other day which would be good for my youngest grandkids but it wouldn't take long before they would outgrow it.

oh400ex, can you put a limiter screw on the 250 ex?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

Yes. It might already have one.

Very easy to add. Just drill a small hole in the throttle assembly and insert a bolt. A bolt two washers and two nuts is all you would need.

250ex is an amazing platform for reliability. 

Edit: Take the time with starting them out slow like I know you would. The tipping on turning is what will get them before throttle IME.

Edit 2: Another option if you didn't want to modify the stock throttle assembly would be a stock blaster throttle assembly. Just use that one until they don't need it anymore. They come with a limiter screw out of the box. On a quick google I don't think the 250ex has one unless added.

Edit 3: Jeep mentioned the 300 2wd just now which I agree is a great option. That is the bike I learned to ride quads on. Best machines ever made.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I'd rather have a Recon but a 250EX would be a possibility.  Heck, I would probably have some fun on one of those.  The main thing that I'm looking for is reliability and Honda is the most likely to fill that requirement.  I know anything can break down but I just don't feel like working on things very much anymore.  I found an 80cc Yamaha the other day which would be good for my youngest grandkids but it wouldn't take long before they would outgrow it.

If I were you I'd be looking for a 2wd 300.

Parts are easy to find, simple machines, and you can't get more reliable.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

If I were you I'd be looking for a 2wd 300.

Parts are easy to find, simple machines, and you can't get more reliable.

would be smarter just to bite the bullet, and get a trx300fw, sooner or later, this grand kid may turn out to be a hunter ?, may as well get a 4wd now, be done with it.

• Like 3

I have had a trx250EX. One good thing about it for beginners is it can be ridden as an semi automatic or as a clutch 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have had a trx250EX. One good thing about it for beginners is it can be ridden as an semi automatic or as a clutch 

AKA it is fun like a clutched bike but won't stall.

This is the best machine to introduce someone to a clutch on. I would love this concept on a bigger engine...

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

would be smarter just to bite the bullet, and get a trx300fw, sooner or later, this grand kid may turn out to be a hunter ?, may as well get a 4wd now, be done with it.

Unless it is up-hill and in reverse my 2wd can go places the 4wd can't easily due to turning radius. The 2wd is WAY easier on someone with weaker arms and 4wd will fatigue you a lot more on a long ride. Each machine has advantages and disadvantages. If you are pulling something out of the woods (or a trailer) it will be with the Rubicon. 2wd 300 / Recon is cheaper and easier to maneuver.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Too bad the 424's for the 4wd 300's aren't being made anymore.  Best of both worlds.

• Like 2

that's a great idea! kill Two birds with one stone.... that was of the best aftermarket mods one could do to a fwd 300 IMO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Too bad the 424's for the 4wd 300's aren't being made anymore.  Best of both worlds.

If someone wants one , keep watching e-bay , I have seen a couple of new Wide Open 424s for a 300  come up for sale in the last few months , they don't last long and the prices are insane -----  Seen one go for $600 and seen a used one go for $400 that looked like it needed a new cable in the pic  , they were going for $379 new  before the 'rona started   ----   I don't have any extra used 424s laying around , but I am sitting on two brand new , never opened 424 rebuild kits , I am holding on to them as I have 5 atvs with 424s in them , 3 - 300s and 2 - 450 ----  best mod you can do to a 300 FW 

• Like 2

I picked up a used one for $75 (before they stopped selling them of course) and had to put bearings and seals in it.  It's going on the mud bike I eventually plan on building.

And I got two new ones on Amazon, just happened to catch someone dumping inventory.  Got them for $180 each.  That too, of course, was before they stopped making them.

One of those is on the 300 Shade built for my oldest kid.  The other will go on another 300 for the baby.

• Like 2

Anybody with a kit they just want to see go to a good owner just let me know. I will house, feed and love it like one of my own lol

• Like 1

I found a 2011 TRX250X for sale but I can't go tonight because it's a pretty good distance from me.  He says it's in excellent condition and you can't always go by pictures but in the two pictures it does look good.  He's wanting $1,900 for it and it may be firm.  It does come with the helmet pictured.

What do you experts think about this price.  If I understand it right this has a clutch and it can't be stalled.  Is that correct?  Can you take off by just putting it in gear and not using the clutch?  I know I'd have to put a throttle limiter on it for my two youngest grandkids. 

Thanks for any insight or advice.  Danny

image.png 

image.png

• Like 1