RubiDan

ATV For Grandkids

Go Go Go! 😂

That's a bit expensive but it's worth it. Great machine!

Honda's "sport clutch" is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Can not stall but has clutch.

Just like normal utility if you could pull in the clutch too

A few months ago (when I was looking) I would have bought this...

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Go Go Go! 😂

That's a bit expensive but it's worth it. Great machine!

Honda's "sport clutch" is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Can not stall but has clutch.

Just like normal utility if you could pull in the clutch too

A few months ago (when I was looking) I would have bought this...

If I had read the other posts again I would have read that you said it wouldn't stall but I didn't.  I'm planning on leaving in the morning and the guy said that he wouldn't sell it before I got there.

He also had a 2006 Rancher foot shift that looked to be in great condition for $1,600 but he already sold that one before I got in contact with him.  I've got a feeling it he doesn't sell this from now until the time that I leave tomorrow morning that I'll bring this one home.  I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

Just now, RubiDan said:

If I had read the other posts again I would have read that you said it wouldn't stall but I didn't.  I'm planning on leaving in the morning and the guy said that he wouldn't sell it before I got there.

He also had a 2006 Rancher foot shift that looked to be in great condition for $1,600 but he already sold that one before I got in contact with him.  I've got a feeling it he doesn't sell this from now until the time that I leave tomorrow morning that I'll bring this one home.  I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow evening.

You have some lucky grandkids! 

Those are original tires on it if you couldn't tell from the picture.

• Like 1

it has a clutch, you must pull the clutch lever in order to keep from stalling, or..be dang good at your throttle and timing ?!..lol.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

You have some lucky grandkids! 

Those are original tires on it if you couldn't tell from the picture.

I knew they looked like the original tires and figured they were unless they were replaced with the same tires.  It looks like whole thing is in good shape.

I wish you'd tell my grandkids how lucky they are.  LOL    

My grandkids are good kids but not perfect.  

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

it has a clutch, you must pull the clutch lever in order to keep from stalling, or..be dang good at your throttle and timing ?!..lol.

I don't think they'll have any problem pulling the clutch in unless the 11 year old girl's hands aren't big enough.  She's a little thing but tough as nails. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shadetree said:

It has a "sport clutch"

Basically Honda laid the golden goose and then just left it. No offence to the 250x in the slightest.

It works just like a normal utility with centrifugal clutches and clutch activated by shifter configuration but adds a lever to pull the manual clutches if wanted.

Meaning that the bike wont stall in any gear but you can use the clutch just like a normal sport bike.

The downside is that you don't get the normal "click" out of the shifter that most sport people are looking for.

It takes way more travel of the foot to accomplish shifting gears compared to a traditional clutch and transmission setup.

Just my opinion but I think that is why it never took off. I want it in the 400ex platform so badly for trail type riding. Imagine a 500 Foreman with manual clutch 🤤

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

It has a "sport clutch"

Basically Honda laid the golden goose and then just left it. No offence to the 250x in the slightest.

It works just like a normal utility with centrifugal clutches and clutch activated by shifter configuration but adds a lever to pull the manual clutches if wanted.

Meaning that the bike wont stall in any gear but you can use the clutch just like a normal sport bike.

The downside is that you don't get the normal "click" out of the shifter that most sport people are looking for.

It takes way more travel of the foot to accomplish shifting gears compared to a traditional clutch and transmission setup.

Just my opinion but I think that is why it never took off. I want it in the 400ex platform so badly for trail type riding. Imagine a 500 Foreman with manual clutch 🤤

sounds dumb, they even have a clutch cable running to the right side, but you can still shift it semi-auto ?, yeah..dumb in my book. glad i don't ride sport atvs..lol.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I knew they looked like the original tires and figured they were unless they were replaced with the same tires.  It looks like whole thing is in good shape.

I wish you'd tell my grandkids how lucky they are.  LOL    

My grandkids are good kids but not perfect.  

No one ever puts stock tires back on IME. Those are the originals I would bet.

They are going to become better by spending time with you. When I was a kid... they would have pried me away from your house with something large

I know the younger ones need a bit more encouragement to do... anything. You have a great encouragement right there lol

Just now, shadetree said:

sounds dumb, they even have a clutch cable running to the right side, but you can still shift it semi-auto ?, yeah..dumb in my book. glad i don't ride sport atvs..lol.

Clutch is on the left, front brake on the right, rear on the right foot and shifter on the left foot like normal. Not sure what you were picturing lol

Come up and give it a shot sometime. You and Ms.Tree can borrow one of mine and just take off... see how they sit... 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, oh400ex said:

They are going to become better by spending time with you. When I was a kid... they would have pried me away from your house with something large

I know the younger ones need a bit more encouragement to do... anything. You have a great encouragement right there lol

Clutch is on the left, front brake on the right, rear on the right foot and shifter on the left foot like normal. Not sure what you were picturing lol

Come up and give it a shot sometime. You and Ms.Tree can borrow one of mine and just take off... see how they sit... 🤣

pull up the micro fich, you will see clutch cable on the left lever, in the pic he posted ^^..you can see the clutch cable leading down to the right side case, which is where the clutch is on most atvs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

pull up the micro fich, you will see clutch cable on the left lever, in the pic he posted ^^..you can see the clutch cable leading down to the right side case, which is where the clutch is on most atvs.

Right side case is what you meant originally not right side lever. You just said right side and I took that as lever. My misunderstanding.

If you don't like the sport clutch you can literally just take off (or ignore) the lever and ride it like a recon. Basically a recon with different body and that one change.

Don't you ride motorcycles? I bet you'd fall right into the sport clutch...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Yeah I would have given almost anything to have something like that when I was a kid.  My best friend's brother had a mini bike and I would ride it every time I went over there.  I loved it.

I spend a lot of time with my grandkids all except for the oldest one who's gone off to college.  The 15 year old girl loves riding my Rubicon so maybe that keep a few miles off of it.  lol

Right side case is what you meant originally not right side lever. You just said right side and I took that as lever. My misunderstanding.

If you don't like the sport clutch you can literally just take off (or ignore) the lever and ride it like a recon. Basically a recon with different body and that one change.

Don't you ride motorcycles? I bet you'd fall right into the sport clutch...

yes, i ride my motorcycles, '85 vf700c magna, and '08 shadow spirit 750, big diff between a motorcycle, and a atv..lol. yes..i can and have road sport atvs for testing reasons ?, but i will never own one !..lol.

• Like 1

OP, too bad your not close ?, i just finished up a 1993 trx300ex the other day, my bud wants 1500 for it. its not new body wise ?, but the motor got my touch !..lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

OP, too bad your not close ?, i just finished up a 1993 trx300ex the other day, my bud wants 1500 for it. its not new body wise ?, but the motor got my touch !..lol.

300ex has normal clutch. Great machines but underpowered for what they are... a go fast machine.

Not great for newer riders compared to the 250x due to no stalling and 400ex absolutely eats it's lunch in every way.

Can you PM the listing and/or some pictures? I may know a buyer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

I looked it up the other day and I'm over 500 miles from Little Rock and for me that would have to be a two day trip and a motel stay.  Just a little too far.

I just got a call from the guy with the TRX250X and he said he just sold it.  Bummer.  Back to looking again.  I've found a couple good deals and I get in touch with them as soon as I can but they're already sold.  Well at least I know more about the 250X if another one comes available.  I'll get one sooner or later.

300ex has normal clutch. Great machines but underpowered for what they are... a go fast machine.

Not great for newer riders compared to the 250x due to no stalling and 400ex absolutely eats it's lunch in every way.

Can you PM the listing and/or some pictures? I may know a buyer.

i did not take any pic's when i rebuilt the engine, its not listed anywhere, its at his house right now, i just finished it about 2 weeks ago, bored over, new top end, starts right up, shifts great, has some power for a atv , but i'm a light weight..lol. oh...and new cam chain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I looked it up the other day and I'm over 500 miles from Little Rock and for me that would have to be a two day trip and a motel stay.  Just a little too far.

I just got a call from the guy with the TRX250X and he said he just sold it.  Bummer.  Back to looking again.  I've found a couple good deals and I get in touch with them as soon as I can but they're already sold.  Well at least I know more about the 250X if another one comes available.  I'll get one sooner or later.

i think we've been over this ?..if a atv pops up, you make contact ?..LEAVE RIGHT THEN !..LOL.

• Like 2

two day trip ?..wth..you pushing your truck ??..lol. i drive over 500 miles in 8 1/2 hours straight through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I just got a call from the guy with the TRX250X and he said he just sold it.  Bummer.  

Aww... That was it. You said it 😔

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i think we've been over this ?..if a atv pops up, you make contact ?..LEAVE RIGHT THEN !..LOL.

Yep. "Go Go Go" may have looked like a joke but it wasn't. Go put cash in hand if you want something. Lesson hard learned many times for me

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i did not take any pic's when i rebuilt the engine, its not listed anywhere, its at his house right now, i just finished it about 2 weeks ago, bored over, new top end, starts right up, shifts great, has some power for a atv , but i'm a light weight..lol. oh...and new cam chain.

You are too close to not come up someday and ride quads. We have some pretty country up here...

My pair of Honda metropolitans would also be fun for a day if you and the wife wanted to see the fall colors some day soon.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Just now, oh400ex said:

Yep. "Go Go Go" may have looked like a joke but it wasn't. Go put cash in hand if you want something. Lesson hard learned many times for me

thats how i roll, when i find something i want ?, i contact them, if they respond with a fair price ?,i'm headed there !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

You are too close to not come up someday and ride quads. We have some pretty country up here...

My pair of Honda metropolitans would also be fun for a day if you and the wife wanted to see the fall colors some day soon.

wife ??..haha...now i know yer full of it !..if i got a wife ?..this is news too me !..rofl.

30 minutes ago, shadetree said:

wife ??..haha...now i know yer full of it !..if i got a wife ?..this is news too me !..rofl.

Well you have no excuse now Mr.Bachelor lol 

Come up sometime and ride my 400ex. It is mostly stock and pre-scuffed so no worries there.

It is your foreman but with lighter frame, different shock travel, power delivery, gearing... basically the same bike!

Great and easy to ride trails/backroads here. AirBnB cabins are cheap too if you wanted to make a weekend out of it. 

Fall colors here are some of the most beautiful things I have seen anywhere...

Any other of the forum guys wanna come sometime and ride just let me know!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

two day trip ?..wth..you pushing your truck ??..lol. i drive over 500 miles in 8 1/2 hours straight through.

I just looked it up and traveling to Little Rock (don't know how far you are from it) from my house, according to MapQuest is 518 miles, 8 hrs. 25 min.  Roundtrip that would be almost 17 hrs. not including stopping to eat, gas stops and time checking and buying atv.  I would run over the speed limit but not by too much.  I have driven about 18 hours or so when I was a young whippersnapper but not anymore.  That's too much for an old geezer like me.  lol

I messaged the guy much earlier today and left my phone number.  I didn't hear back from him until right before I posted on here about it.  I probably wouldn't have gotten home until sometime in the am.  I didn't really want to go alone and my son couldn't go with me tonight.  Maybe I should have gone anyway but it would be my luck that he would have sold it before I got there but then that could have happened tomorrow morning too.

I'm sure I'll find one but good deals are hard to get because somebody else usually jumps on them quick before I can make contact.  I got lucky when I bought my Rubicon that I was able to get there first.  It was the best deal that I've saw before or after I bought it.  I doubt if lightning will strike twice for me but I think I'll still find a good deal and really a Recon would probably be better for them anyway and I believe my wife be more likely to drive one of those.  She drove my Rubicon one time and she says it's way too big for her.        

• Like 1

looks good..... from the pics, where did you hear about this one ? just curious ... i don't think the price is too far off...(maybe a tad high)  if it as good shape as it looks ... update us more ... soon as you can..... 

• Like 1