oh400ex

Light Restoration | 2005 Foreman 500

5 hours ago, oh400ex said:

I know the original owner well

so he's  (the original owner) purchased this bike brand new but never abused it ? but it switched hands ?? to another before your friend purchased it ? .. or was loaned out ? maybe that's where the abuse took place ? 

do post pics of the the rebuild. 

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

so he's  (the original owner) purchased this bike brand new but never abused it ? but it switched hands ?? to another before your friend purchased it ? .. or was loaned out ? maybe that's where the abuse took place ? 

He just bought it for $1300 US as a non-running bike and was pulled from the weeds in field fresh condition!

It was not used and abused but ridden a lot. The previous owner was the original and used this bike to check his cows and for his teenage daughters to ride. That is how the front end got damaged.

Original owner purchased the bike new and put 8300 miles on it before parking in his field (with a piece of roofing metal and an old kids pool over the top) (which is what saved the gauge)

My buddy (the 2nd owner) bought it from the original owner (well I owned it for a half-hour or so lol)

The teenage daughters are the abusers. Original owner just rode the thing...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The teenage daughters are the abusers.

ah...(that was never mentioned in the 1st post) that's exactly why i don't loan equipment out.... lol! ..l so your friend purchased this 1st ? or you ? , and did the original owner say why he just left it ? other water in the carb ? so i take there was water in the tank ... or the pool and sheet of tin blew off .. and it was then rained  on ? .... 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

ah...(that was never mentioned in the 1st post) that's exactly why i don't loan equipment out.... lol! ..l so your friend purchased this 1st ? or you ? , and did the original owner say why he just left it ? other water in the carb ? so i take there was water in the tank ... or the pool and sheet of tin blew off .. and it was then rained  on ? .... 

Honda's can usually take the abuse and the rider is the one who ends up hurt... I don't mind loaning my wheelers to folks with a bit of experience and respect for the machine.

Original owner -> me -> new owner

I never signed the title though just bought it with my cash and brought it straight to the new owner who is a friend.

It was parked due to running issues from old fuel and because (he didn't tell me this) but the valves sounded like an old tractor and I am now guessing were never adjusted for 8k miles...

Kiddie pool was over the instrument panel which basically saved it. That was held down with a piece of roofing metal and a cinder block. It sat like that for a few years.

You all will get to see but it will shock you how clean it ends up. The 420 Rancher light restoration I posted a while back started out looking WAY rougher than this one...

I use to very " lendy " , still am , but it has to be that special person 

24 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I don't mind loaning my wheelers to folks with a bit of experience and respect for the machine.

oh i would agree.... but you have to admit ... when people know you keep you equiptment in great shape , while they don't .... there's always a knock, or phone call.... lol.... I've been down that road many times ... no telling how many hours I've spent repairing my fathers loaned out farm equiptment ... and it always burned me up... so i can understand .... why he is now like jeeps father .... as for me asking to borrow .... NOPE... i won't go there ... because you never know ...what will break.. my ex neighbor (the fat russian) was the straw.... everytime he had a tree with wind damage ... can i borrow your saw ... H--l NO! ... because he had blown up his saw.... and his ex father-in-law told him no as well..... Dave has asked many times to use my wood splitter , and I've told him just tell me what you want busted up, and I'll do it.... his answer .. nah... i just need the spitter ... never happened... 

there are very few I'd loan to this day in time ... i loaned out a weedeater years ago....  i posted about in short the guy didnt use my mixed gas... but rather his straight gas ... which he was going to charge me for ... ruined the engine, and the friendship...he's a perscription pill drug head now ... lol 

Edited by _Wilson_™

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh i would agree.... but you have to admit ... when people know you keep you equiptment in great shape , while they don't .... there's always a knock, or phone call.... 

If someone would not give me equal value for what they break I would never loan it in the first place. Most folks will pay for a new part, owe you a favor over a scratch etc and there is never an issue. I have gotten burned before but my friend group is mostly older folks who don't want to break stuff anyway and know how to treat a small engine.

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

there are very few I'd loan to this day in time ... i loaned out a weedeater years ago....  i posted about in short the guy didnt use my mixed gas... but rather his straight gas ... which he was going to charge me for ... ruined the engine, and the friendship...he's a drug head now ... lol 

Won't loan to many old friends who are of a similar mindset. Pick your battles and all that 🤣

it's not like that here ... sad as it might be ... most of older folks who have been here for years ... are of the same mind set .... don't ask... cause the answer is no... it's biased ... of there past history of dealing with people who will not toss in.. .. i trust only those  close friends I've known for years ... and I'm not talking small engines, or honda atvs ... I'm talking very expensive farm equiptment ... and even our semi truck fleet... last time ... we loaned out one semi... it came back with a air line to the seat pulled loose ... the air horn line was broke ... the air break diaphrams were blown... and one of the exhaust elbows was burned out ...fact is ... some people just use, and abuse ... those types are easy to spot ... on just how they live there lives, and what / how they care for there own ... 

Little before and after for y'all.

Just a pre-rinse. More to come...

1/2

20201005_162559.jpg

20201005_162621.jpg

20201005_162609.jpg

20201005_162616.jpg

20201005_162629.jpg

Cleaned up well.  You'll have to get more decals to cover up the difference in fading, but otherwise that one will look nice!

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Cleaned up well.  You'll have to get more decals to cover up the difference in fading, but otherwise that one will look nice!

Thanks! We are just getting started. No treatments or anything yet. 

You can get any color and size wing. I usually go up just a bit in size for a slightly custom look and so it covers the un-faded part.

Yep, the tank wings on that 08 I just "sold" were from ebay.  As long as you get the right size, more or less, no one will ever know the difference.

• Like 2

Here is a few of the bike before and after cleaning. Should have taken some more(better) before shots. I know... 1/2

20201005_184004.jpg

20200929_174221.jpg

20200929_174215.jpg

20200929_174205.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

And after the initial cleaning but it got dark on me... still need to polish, buff, paint etc and do any other treatments. New owner has decided on not going all-out with it. 2/2

Package received, part installed and working. Thank you again @1080PowersportsPartsLLC

If you haven't already... check out his thread and eBay store! Great deals, fast shipping, rides Honda... I'm happy.

(Front brake master cylinder)

Keep it up!

20201006_195403.jpg

20201006_195252.jpg

20201006_195308.jpg

20201006_195352.jpg

20201006_195236.jpg

20201006_195223.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looks great! what did you use on the baked on mud stains ? oven cleaner, or etching acid .. or ? 

So far just soap, water and drill with brush.

Going to hit engine with foam cone and aluminum polish though and get the high spots sorta shiny.

We are doing mostly quick stuff on this project.

Sorta similar to how I would treat a flip... fix everything mechanical and make it look as good as possible for as little as possible.

Edit: Scotch-Brite 

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Looking good!  Same I do with my flips.  I want them to be 100% right mechanically.  I clean them up a bit, but I don't go full on polish on the engine cases etc like @shadetree does.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looking good!  Same I do with my flips.  I want them to be 100% right mechanically.  I clean them up a bit, but I don't go full on polish on the engine cases etc like @shadetree does.

That last 350 he did I could see my own reflection while looking at the picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/3/2020 at 10:35 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

oh i would agree.... but you have to admit ... when people know you keep you equiptment in great shape , while they don't .... there's always a knock, or phone call.... lol.... I've been down that road many times ... no telling how many hours I've spent repairing my fathers loaned out farm equiptment ... and it always burned me up... so i can understand .... why he is now like jeeps father .... as for me asking to borrow .... NOPE... i won't go there ... because you never know ...what will break.. my ex neighbor (the fat russian) was the straw.... everytime he had a tree with wind damage ... can i borrow your saw ... H--l NO! ... because he had blown up his saw.... and his ex father-in-law told him no as well..... Dave has asked many times to use my wood splitter , and I've told him just tell me what you want busted up, and I'll do it.... his answer .. nah... i just need the spitter ... never happened... 

IF I trust the person, and whether or not the machine or piece of equipment is essential for me, are the things that hang in the balance on whether or not I lend something out. Usually I don't. Most people don't know how to take care of their stuff. If they did, they wouldn't be going around asking people to borrow stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRX Student said:

IF I trust the person, and whether or not the machine or piece of equipment is essential for me, are the things that hang in the balance on whether or not I lend something out. Usually I don't. Most people don't know how to take care of their stuff. If they did, they wouldn't be going around asking people to borrow stuff.

oh i don't lump all people in the same group...  I've seen how they take care of there own items ... saw my ex brother-in law ... throw a couple of chanisaws in the back of my my truck, and i asked him, are those yours he said no, i said why are you throwing them (with no bar scabbard) around... he said what does it matter ? there not mine... when the owner got them back... he asked me what happened to the chains and bars,.... i showed him the scratches in the bed of my truck, and said mike did this...that was it for people around here loaning out items to hi, point being if you've never had to earn the money and pay for said equiptment .... then, there is a lack of respect taken for granted. 

2 hours ago, TRX Student said:

IF I trust the person, and whether or not the machine or piece of equipment is essential for me

whether or not the items are assential or not ... doesn't matter .... they're yours! you can trust your friends, that's fine, and a good thing, but.... when it comes to your own property... the game changes.... would you loan your money biased on their word it would be payed back in a timely fashion ? 

• Like 1

10 to 1, first gear set will be messed up ?!..lol. also, you better pray they did not strip out the oil drain plug ?, another defect from honda on this model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

10 to 1, first gear set will be messed up ?!..lol. also, you better pray they did not strip out the oil drain plug ?, another defect from honda on this model.

I'll have to take those odds lol

Keep in mind that this bike was ridden on hard pack roads most if it's life so the 1st gear was hardly ever used. I know that doesn't mean it's good but hopefully anyway

We will see soon. Clutch parts are in