oh400ex

Light Restoration | 2005 Foreman 500

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

I'll have to take those odds lol

Keep in mind that this bike was ridden on hard pack roads most if it's life so the 1st gear was hardly ever used. I know that doesn't mean it's good but hopefully anyway

We will see soon. Clutch parts are in

does not matter if it was road on sand, rubber...water ?!..first gear set , and the reverse gear is defective from the factory !. once you get it running ?, fire it up, shift it to 1st gear, hit the throttle, see if it jerks, clunks ?..if it does ?, then yes..1st set is trashed. then you can send me that bet'n money you lost !..rofl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

and for the record ?, i'm now on my second trx500 that had a bad 1st gear, and jeep69 has done a couple himself, both of mine were 2005 models.

• Like 2

Just now, shadetree said:

does not matter if it was road on sand, rubber...water ?!..first gear set , and the reverse gear is defective from the factory !. once you get it running ?, fire it up, shift it to 1st gear, hit the throttle, see if it jerks, clunks ?..if it does ?, then yes..1st set is trashed. then you can send me that bet'n money you lost !..rofl.

I already told you! Now who needs the picture drawn for them????

On 10/1/2020 at 6:16 PM, oh400ex said:

I have put the bike though a few paces to test things and it seems rock solid.

To test the 4WD being engaged I put the bike in reverse and climbed a bank backwards. The forward in first and reverse feel great and certainly nothing outside of the ordinary.

How much do I collect and when? 🤣

12 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I already told you! Now who needs the picture drawn for them????

How much do I collect and when? 🤣

out of cookies...your just up the you know what creak, leaky boat, no paddle !.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shadetree said:

out of cookies...your just up the you know what creak, leaky boat, no paddle !.

I was born on that creek-bank my friend. I think you floated it a few times yourself... 😂

I'll tell you what... if the 1st is out. I'll bring it down to LR and let you show me how its done.

Edited by oh400ex

2 hours ago, oh400ex said:

I was born on that creek-bank my friend. I think you floated it a few times yourself... 😂

I'll tell you what... if the 1st is out. I'll bring it down to LR and let you show me how its done.

too show you how its done, for you i'll have to charge ya by the min !..lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know I have fell head first in ! creek before ----- the goal is to come out smelling like a rose --- LOL 

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I know I have fell head first in ! creek before ----- the goal is to come out smelling like a rose --- LOL 

yeah ?..let me know how that works out for ya !..lol.

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

and for the record ?, i'm now on my second trx500 that had a bad 1st gear, and jeep69 has done a couple himself, both of mine were 2005 models.

I've had two that were bad, 3-4 that were fine, but you better believe I replaced them anyway while I was in there.

That said, if I had one that was good, and I knew the engine hadn't been sunk, I'd run it.  I only split cases on engines with an unknown history.  If I knew one hadn't been sunk, and 1st gear was good, I'd run it.

Kinda like a 300 rear end.  We know they suck, and should be upgraded, but if it works, RUN IT!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've had two that were bad, 3-4 that were fine, but you better believe I replaced them anyway while I was in there.

That said, if I had one that was good, and I knew the engine hadn't been sunk, I'd run it.  I only split cases on engines with an unknown history.  If I knew one hadn't been sunk, and 1st gear was good, I'd run it.

Kinda like a 300 rear end.  We know they suck, and should be upgraded, but if it works, RUN IT!

i agree...to a point ?. most times when i take a project on ?, i'm splitting cases period, as most of the projects i get are sunk, and even if they were never sunk ?, going by the looks of the rest of the atv , if it looks worn out, abused ?, then yep, i'm tearing the engine apart !. so in this case, like you said ^^..change the parts out while your in there !. if i had known about that first 500 i did about the first gear ?, i would have changed it out ?!, but then i found out AFTER the fact from you ?, sure enough..it was bad !..lol. lesson learned: fix it while your in there !..lol.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i agree...to a point ?. most times when i take a project on ?, i'm splitting cases period, as most of the projects i get are sunk, and even if they were never sunk ?, going by the looks of the rest of the atv , if it looks worn out, abused ?, then yep, i'm tearing the engine apart !. so in this case, like you said ^^..change the parts out while your in there !. if i had known about that first 500 i did about the first gear ?, i would have changed it out ?!, but then i found out AFTER the fact from you ?, sure enough..it was bad !..lol. lesson learned: fix it while your in there !..lol.

Ha, you still had it on the bench when I brought it up! 

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ha, you still had it on the bench when I brought it up! 

yes, but i did not know about the gear set until after i put the engine back together and in the frame to test it out in the back yard ?, then you mentioned the gear set...i was like...well crap...now i gotta rip my new project all back apart !..lol.

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

yes, but i did not know about the gear set until after i put the engine back together and in the frame to test it out in the back yard ?, then you mentioned the gear set...i was like...well crap...now i gotta rip my new project all back apart !..lol.

I really appreciate you are trying to keep me from going down this road. Just know I do hear you.

This isn't my machine to make the call on either way but I really hope I don't get to feel the feeling of "well crap...now i gotta rip my new project all back apart !"

2 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

I really appreciate you are trying to keep me from going down this road. Just know I do hear you.

This isn't my machine to make the call on either way but I really hope I don't get to feel the feeling of "well crap...now i gotta rip my new project all back apart !"

trust me..the '' gotta rip my new bike all back apart '' DID SUCK !...lol..i was in tears so to speak..lol. do as ya wish ?, for the most part, i do hope you don't have to rip it all back apart ?..cuz yes..it does suck big time !.

I remember  Shade's build were he  had to pull that engine back off and tear it back down  , he was like 100% finished and it was looking good 

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I remember  Shade's build were he  had to pull that engine back off and tear it back down  , he was like 100% finished and it was looking good 

i think ?..i still have pic's of it some where ?..lol. i'll see if i can find them ?.

here she is, '05 trx500fm, complete over haul , front to back, top to bottom, inside -out !.

IMG_0086 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Just now, shadetree said:

i think ?..i still have pic's of it some where ?..lol. i'll see if i can find them ?.

Should be pics in your build thread on the hondaatv site 

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Is that the one the mailman bought 

yep !.

Shout out to @jeepwm69 for saving me today.

I was trying to pull the centrifugal clutch with a three jaw and it just kept slipping off.

Went and read some posts and found one on the old forums describing how you can use big hose clamps to hold it together. 

Going to go ahead and order the tool but got it off thanks to you! 

• Like 2