toodeep

Rushmore state

My home state and there are some good riding trails out in the black hills in the area Mount Rushmore is. The rest of the state is pretty much private land or pay trail parks. I have some pics of riding out in that area but I still need to get them from the photobucket hostage situation. 

Point of the post was I had a few pics of the monument from before and during the making of it to share with you all. I'm guessing not many have visited but in the past I've came across a few that have. I just thought some might find them interesting. 

FB_IMG_1575383064490.jpg

old.jpg

old2.jpg

old9.jpg

old3.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome Pictures my brother and I went thru the dakota's and yellowstone on a roadtrip this past summer. Absolutely gorgeous area.

We went to the Black Hills, Devils tower and then hit every single attraction in Yellowstone in the span of 5 days. Lots of driving it was amazing. I would love to explore the area more! 

• Like 1

I've been lucky to have spent some time in several parts of SD, and  always enjoyed my time there, and its kinda of funny how the terrain changes so much in some places

always wanted to go back to the black hill's are again for a snowmobile trip, 

been yrs since I was there now, and like to see how its changed or stayed the same LOL

When we were full time rving,we were SD residents using Americas Mail Box out of Box Elder.We enjoyed our short stay in Rapid City and Custer.Got to see Mt. Rushmore,they were still working on I think was Crazy Horse.Rode Needles Hwy and took the wildlife cruise through Custer State Park.

Got caught in the April blizzard in 2013 had over a foot of snow in Custer.Rapid City had almost 2' .

That storm killed a lot of cattle. I think we sold a dozen track kits after that one. No one could get out and see the damage and start a clean up without them. We have a lot of customers from that area. 

• Like 1

TooDeep , how easy does a atv with tracks roll , if it is a dead soldier and needs to be pulled back ?

They have resistance. They will pull but if your using a tire machine and hit slick surfaces I'm going to guess your going to loose traction, another track machine or heavy sxs would be a different story. I've never tried it personally so I cant say for sure but I don't push the machines around in the shop. We have 2 Rincons and a Rubicon on tracks in our family (Camso if your wondering). I've used the J wheels on mine as well in the snow.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:01 PM, balljoints said:

Awesome Pictures my brother and I went thru the dakota's and yellowstone on a roadtrip this past summer. Absolutely gorgeous area.

We went to the Black Hills, Devils tower and then hit every single attraction in Yellowstone in the span of 5 days. Lots of driving it was amazing. I would love to explore the area more! 

I want to see devils tower. What is it like in person? I've heard you can see it for miles and miles before you get to it??

On 12/5/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kevnic said:

I want to see devils tower. What is it like in person? I've heard you can see it for miles and miles before you get to it??

It was amazing, as we were driving towards it you could see it from miles and it honeslty looks fake until you are driving right next to since its so big!

DSC_0342.thumb.jpg.2ff009d854e7df40a2de8d3c284b2360.jpg

DSC_0348.thumb.jpg.828e81669002fd59ba2cf3de04677aa5.jpg

• Like 4

Hmm.. looks familiar.

Where have I seen... oh yeah!

I pass by Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore twice a day on my daily commute. 😁

20190728_134020.jpg

• Like 1

I love seeing threads like this. Despite seeing Mt Rushmore everyday, just one glance and I feel just a bit more patriotic and just generally better for the day. I've seen to many videos or articles saying that Rushmore is a waste of time, just look at a picture and there you go.. you've seen it. That's not the point! Seeing the monument in person is one thing (I recommend the trail that goes just under it) but there is so much more to take away from it then just a picture. Watch the videos, read the plaques, ask the rangers a question. I always feel more patriotic, shame not everyone walks away feeling the same. I may not agree with how its run all the time and decisions that are made but still, it could be worse.

Side note, my wives high school holds graduation at the monument as is the only school in the country with Smokey the Bear as its school mascot. 

20190728_141131.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, toodeep said:

My home state and there are some good riding trails out in the black hills in the area Mount Rushmore is. The rest of the state is pretty much private land or pay trail parks. I have some pics of riding out in that area but I still need to get them from the photobucket hostage situation. 

Point of the post was I had a few pics of the monument from before and during the making of it to share with you all. I'm guessing not many have visited but in the past I've came across a few that have. I just thought some might find them interesting. 

FB_IMG_1575383064490.jpg

old.jpg

old2.jpg

old9.jpg

old3.jpg

Some good stuff, I enjoy seeing pictures of the early Black Hills.

Where in South Dakota do/did you live?

I was remodeling a house years ago and found the pictures so I scanned them before giving them back to the owner. It's been a long time since I've been there or any part of the hills. We use to go ride the trails at least once a year but now I cant seem to find the time to get away long enough. Back in my younger years when I rode dirt bikes Farmigdale was annual trip as well. 

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

I was remodeling a house years ago and found the pictures so I scanned them before giving them back to the owner. It's been a long time since I've been there or any part of the hills. We use to go ride the trails at least once a year but now I cant seem to find the time to get away long enough. Back in my younger years when I rode dirt bikes Farmigdale was annual trip as well. 

A lot has changed that's for sure. Riding restrictions and trail passes are the norm now. Even Farmingdale has only a small area where it's free range riding. Still a blast though! I'll have to post a few pictures.

Nice pictures! On the spure of the moment the wife and I last year took vacation and drove from Ohio to Mount Rushmore.What a trip! Mount Rushmore,the Black Hills,the badlands Devils tower,Sturgis.Did it all in five days,what a good time.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, TBRider said:

I would love to go see all that, maybe someday.

Throw a leg over that H-D and head to Sturgis . . . .  beautiful state!

• Like 2

I was rescuing what pictures I could from my old photobucket and have a few more old pics from the area.

old0.jpg

old02.jpg

old03.jpg

old04.jpg

old4.jpg

old05.jpg

old5.jpg

old7.jpg

old6.jpg

old8.jpg

old9.jpg

older.jpg

• Like 4

Good stuff. Even locally they have moved of historical photos like this to more modern attractions like zip lines and alpine roller coasters. 🙄

I read an article where they want to pass legislation to add Barry Obama to Mt Rushmore ..... 

Know this is an old thread but was just there,  wife's mom and sister live in Rapid.  She has a cousin who has a 2nd home in Lead(Leed) we stayed there and toured around for a few days.  Always amazed at Rushmore,  only took 14 years to complete.  Been going down there for 41 years,  Crazy horse isn't even close.  First time I saw it was just a flat leveled area with a would become his armpit area. And does  But it would be further is not funded by the government but still, Thought it would be further along after 41 years. Pretty sure it won't be done in my lifetime. It's always a great area to go visit, Hope someday to meet up with my wife's cousins and do a little riding. Did a little rock crawling around Sylvan Lake. Needles highway is always cool, very unique rock formations.spacer.png

20231019_141545.jpg

20231019_142048.jpg

20231019_144128.jpg

20231019_145817.jpg

20231019_150343.jpg

20231019_153913.jpg

20231019_154240.jpg

20231019_155723.jpg

20231019_160249.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 2

Have to clarify the Rock crawling around Sylvan Lake. Always amazed at the clarity of the phone camera, pretty  incredible.

image000001 (4).jpg

20231019_144419.jpg

20231019_145151.jpg

20231019_145122.jpg

20231019_144742.jpg

20231019_145427.jpg

20231021_141131.jpg

20231021_143130.jpg

20231021_143258.jpg

20231021_150742.jpg

• Like 2