fuffs

2013 Rancher AT IRS EPS won't pull

Finally got some time today to get the clutch off. Oil pump casing is split apart. There's more bad news...the crankshaft balancer shaft end is sheared off where the oil pump drive tang fits. I really didn't want to get into the crankcase. It might be cheaper to look for a used motor and keep this one for parts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fuffs said:

Finally got some time today to get the clutch off. Oil pump casing is split apart. There's more bad news...the crankshaft balancer shaft end is sheared off where the oil pump drive tang fits. I really didn't want to get into the crankcase. It might be cheaper to look for a used motor and keep this one for parts.

Nah, rebuild it.  It's honestly not that much different from an FM 420 engine.  I redid the wife's a few years ago. 

I know everything in Canada is super high, so if you need to find parts down here and have one of us get everything together and send to you up there, that's an option.

I wonder what locked up your oil pump?  Looking at your first post, I wonder if a piece of the drain plug threads got in that pump and locked it solid.

• Like 1

I agree, must have been a piece of the casting. I wish I hadn't tried the temporary fix. I will still rebuild the motor over the winter even if I find a good used motor to install. I got a new Rancher a month ago and my wife is driving it. I'm using her 09, so a spare motor would be nice. I'd like to sell the 13 since it has more miles on it and we don't need 3. I found a used crankshaft balancer on ebay, but still looking for the front crankcase spacer.