Bassman8990

2013 420 Rancher stalling

https://youtu.be/YiJD9swLT84

hey everyone i have a 2013 Rancher 420. The issue im having is when it warms up it wants to stall out. It fires right up & idles fine, but once its hot & the fan kicks on thats when it acts like it wants to stall. Does that sound like a coil going bad? In video as long as i stay in the throttle it'll stay running, when i get ready to come to a complete stop it idles very low & almost dies, i have to maintain throttle to keep it running. Only does it after its been running awhile & hot

Edited by Bassman8990
Changed wording

On my buddies Rincon, when the fuel filter got clogged it would run fine for a bit, but as the fuel pump sucked the crap up against the inlet, it would eventually clog and kill the machine.  Let it sit, sediment would drop back down in the housing.  Would start and run for a bit, until the suction eventually sucked the sediment up against the inlet again. 

I'd certainly look at that first.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

On my buddies Rincon, when the fuel filter got clogged it would run fine for a bit, but as the fuel pump sucked the crap up against the inlet, it would eventually clog and kill the machine.  Let it sit, sediment would drop back down in the housing.  Would start and run for a bit, until the suction eventually sucked the sediment up against the inlet again. 

Yea i just changed fuel filter & o rings couple months ago. Barely ridden it. Just got it back from the shop getting valves adjusted & throttle body cleaned. Didn't do that before the shop. Really dont want to take it back. They had it for 2 months due to being behind.

Edited by Bassman8990

Seems like I did see a similar problem and it was a coil.  I hate throwing parts at a problem, but used coils are cheap on ebay, and if it doesn't fix your problem you have a spare, right?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Seems like I did see a similar problem and it was a coil.  I hate throwing parts at a problem, but used coils are cheap on ebay, and if it doesn't fix your problem you have a spare, right?

That's what i thought, coil is where I'll probably start since its the easiest to change out

I am not a fuel injection guy , my fleet is all carbureted --- but , I do read a lot of threads on the real hard core four wheeler sites where they go deep , LOL --- and I hear a lot of them say they have problems with the O2 sensor and do a by-pass , the O2  throws everything out of wack and idling is one of the problems , but I don't know if a 2013 420 even  has a O2 sensor ----  when I don't know I like to throw crap at the wall , sometimes it sticks ----  could be food for thought , then it might be a crap sandwich 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bassman8990 said:

That's what i thought, coil is where I'll probably start since its the easiest to change out

Get an OEM coil. Resist the temptation to order a "new" off-brand one and get OEM used

Had a similarly described issue with sport bike that turned out to be a stator but this sounds like coil to me as well.

If the spark plug boot doesn't have perfect connection you might be able to fix by trimming the coil wire. Unscrew the boot and make sure you see copper for the screw to connect on. If not you can trim off some of the coil wire to get back to fresh metal.

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

could be food for thought , then it might be a crap sandwich 

Well said about my advise too 🤣

Edited by oh400ex

4 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Get an OEM coil. Resist the temptation to order a "new" off-brand one and get OEM used

Had a similarly described issue with sport bike that turned out to be a stator but this sounds like coil to me as well.

If the spark plug boot doesn't have perfect connection you might be able to fix by trimming the coil wire. Unscrew the boot and make sure you see copper for the screw to connect on. If not you can trim off some of the coil wire to get back to fresh metal.

I checked the spark plug, gap & boot also. I'll definitely go OEM

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am not a fuel injection guy , my fleet is all carbureted --- but , I do read a lot of threads on the real hard core four wheeler sites where they go deep , LOL --- and I hear a lot of them say they have problems with the O2 sensor and do a by-pass , the O2  throws everything out of wack and idling is one of the problems , but I don't know if a 2013 420 even  has a O2 sensor ----  when I don't know I like to throw crap at the wall , sometimes it sticks ----  could be food for thought , then it might be a crap sandwich 

Thats a good point didn't think about O2 sensor, i believe it has one. I'm new to EFI atvs also, use to carburetor. I'll definitely look into the O2 sensor 

10 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

https://youtu.be/YiJD9swLT84

3 minutes ago, Bassman8990 said:

Hard to tell through a microphone but...

Idle is super low... has it just gone out of spec? Adjusted it?

Engine sounds like a clock! Coil seems fine...

Edit: Computer controlled idle... missed that again lol

Edited by oh400ex

15 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Haha yea its EFI so no Carburetor. May change o2 sensor & Coil & try that. My dad seems to think it's a coil also due to it getting to operational temperature before it starts stall. He use to work on lawnmower engines. But ATV's are a different beast. IS sounding like a clock a good thing lol

Edited by Bassman8990

2 minutes ago, Bassman8990 said:

Haha yea its EFI so no Carburetor. May change o2 sensor & Coil & try that. My dad seems to think it's a coil also due to it getting to operational temperature before it starts stall. He use to work on lawnmower engines. But ATV's are a different beast. IS sounding like a clock a good thing lol

I would think as it gets hot the effects of the 02 sensor on the engine would be different than when cold , seems that is what the 02 sensor is all about and might have something to do with the guys running in water as the water cools the pipe but the engine is hot , the O2 sensor by-pass is pretty easy , a 500 video but close to the same thing 

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

again...THIS IS FUEL INJECTED !!..LOL..they don't have a float bowl !!...lol.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

jumping the gun are we ?..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, shadetree said:

again...THIS IS FUEL INJECTED !!..LOL..they don't have a float bowl !!...lol.

Haha yea its fuel injection. But i already updated the fuel filter to the sideways mounted one instead of the one that sits on the bottom of fuel pump reservoir 

22 minutes ago, shadetree said:

jumping the gun are we ?..lol.

Just now, Bassman8990 said:

Haha probably 

Definitely for me 😅 

Twice in one day!

Curious what will be found when you check out the O2 sensor

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bassman8990 said:

Haha yea its fuel injection. But i already updated the fuel filter to the sideways mounted one instead of the one that sits on the bottom of fuel pump reservoir 

that might be the issue ... when jeep said 

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

until the suction eventually sucked the sediment up against the inlet again. 

question... why the updated side ways mounted  fuel filter ? 

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that might be the issue ... when jeep said 

question... why the updated side ways mounted  fuel filter ? 

Thats just an oem update. The original Fuel filter attached at the very bottom of the fuel pump & would collect sediment. The update oem one has an attachment on bottom the fuel pump that the fuel filter attaches to & it makes the fuel filter vertical beside the fuel pump instead of horizontal on the very bottom. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bassman8990 said:

Thats just an oem update. The original Fuel filter attached at the very bottom of the fuel pump & would collect sediment. The update oem one has an attachment on bottom the fuel pump that the fuel filter attaches to & it makes the fuel filter vertical beside the fuel pump instead of horizontal on the very bottom. 

gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. 

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Don't think 13 had an 02 sensor.  That started on the new body style. 

May not but i believe the 2013 does. If im not mistaken that clip on side of the frame is the O2 sensor 

20200930_153820.jpg