MargeShrimpson

Unusual tire leaks

1 hour ago, PROV said:

I run Zillas and wouldn't have anything else where I ride. I do like Mudlite XL's  but they are a lot heavier. 

I have a set of Mudzillas.  Been having them for a while now and they still have some  thread left on them.  Have never had a flat on them.  

6A215E3A-390C-4370-8A3F-4AC669CE70BA.jpeg

7 hours ago, PROV said:

I run Zillas and wouldn't have anything else where I ride. I do like Mudlite XL's  but they are a lot heavier. 

about on average ... what's the weight ... of a zilla compaired to a xl of like size ? 

9 hours ago, PROV said:

a dime to a dollar, unless you baby your atv ?, any aggressive tire that is heavy and has large lugs on them ?, will destroy your drive line !.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

about on average ... what's the weight ... of a zilla compaired to a xl of like size ? 

Don't quote me but when I got them I seem to remember it was at least 8# per tire. Don't have time to look it up right now as I'm going to my hunting shack for 10 days and no cell.

• Thanks 1

okay thanks @PROV hope y'all have a good time. ...  i gather your talking about maxxis zillas ? I'm showing between 15- 20 lbs depending on tire size .. 

okay thanks @PROV hope y'all have a good time. ...  i gather your talking about maxxis zillas ? I'm showing between 15- 20 lbs depending on tire size .. 

That is correct.

• Like 1

thanks ... that's not much more weight then the at ... ... not like I'm turning the thread ... so... I'll be headed to to the tire thread ...and using caution on that thread it can get heated ... lol! 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Edit: @Fishfiles have you ever ran BGC gators ?

Those were the longest lasting tires I have ever bought in the swamp pattern. Expensive and that was a while ago. Not sure if they are any good now...

Pretty sure Gators are discontinued, but the Maxxis Mudbug is pretty much the same tire.

I love Mudbugs.  Have them on several machines

Along that note, this morning I used @shadetree's "grease the bead" method on the slow leaking rear wheels and tires from the 08 I've been rebuilding.  Rims had some pretty heavy dirt on the rim beads, so I cleaned that off, wiped it down, greased it, and then reinstalled the tires with new valve stems.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Along that note, this morning I used @shadetree's "grease the bead" method on the slow leaking rear wheels and tires from the 08 I've been rebuilding.  Rims had some pretty heavy dirt on the rim beads, so I cleaned that off, wiped it down, greased it, and then reinstalled the tires with new valve stems.  

and did my method work ?..lol.

• Like 1

Not sure yet.  I got em mounted, got back to the house and had to get ready to go to work. 

I'll air em up after work and put them back on the wheeler.  I'll let you know!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

You know its going to work 🤣

Making him say it lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

You know its going to work 🤣

Making him say it lol

it's never failed me..i know this !.

• Like 2

slime may have changed since i last used it. been a while. i used black pepper on a set of tires long ago.

took the shrader valve out, an used a hypo with water / black pepper.., and it plugged my leaks. you really dont want water on your rims, black pepper does plug leaks.

an old radiator trick.

i might have to grease the bead on a zero turn i bought, in 2015, nothing i done, so far works.  left front leaks all the air out,, before ya mow next. any special grease needed? 

Edited by LedFTed
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, shadetree said:

dont be asking when you know it will.... lol! I've done the same .. works every time. 

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

slime may have changed since i last used it. been a while. i used black pepper on a set of tires long ago.

took the shrader valve out, an used a hypo with water / black pepper.., and it plugged my leaks. you really dont want water on your rims, black pepper does plug leaks.

an old radiator trick.

i might have to grease the bead on a zero turn i bought, in 2015, nothing i done, so far works.  left front leaks all the air out,, before ya mow next. any special grease needed? 

just ole super tech from wally world is what i use on all my greasing parts.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, SlammedRanger said:

Just incase someone has good tires with no dry rot losing air. I did this and it 100% fixed all my problems. It is a common sand dune rider trick. Its called stayflo. It is liquid starch. You take the valve stem core out and put about half a cup per tire in. I use an old slime bottle and tube. Take the quad for a ride. Around 10-15 minutes. And problem solved. You will have no more leaks. It works best for beadlock rims which are notorious for seeping over time. I have had all 8 of my tires done with the above procedure and none of them have dropped even a single pound of air. Not even a half a pound. And that was months ago i did it. Before i would have one rear go flat. And 2 fronts get soft after a few days. Walmart sells a jug of stayflo for under 5 dollars and one jug will do alot of tires.

Does temperature matter? I was going to do this yesterday but we had a frost advisory. 

2 minutes ago, MargeShrimpson said:

Does temperature matter? I was going to do this yesterday but we had a frost advisory. 

Slime doesn't easily freeze. I know you could use that.

It is in basically every low-speed tire on my property lol

Slime

if your tires are very cracked then slime will keep you aired up 

but just expect tire sidewall failure when you take it on trail. Not saying it will happen

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MargeShrimpson said:

li wouldn't think slammed deal would be effect by temperatures ... 

if slime now is water biased ... now as stated .. then yes it can be effect by colder temps 

Edited by _Wilson_™

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i wouldn't think slammed deal would be effect by temperatures ... 

It for sure would. You are mixing starch and water. There is nothing to keep it from freezing. Sand Duners do not have this problem lol

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

if slime now is water biased ... now as stated .. then yes it can effect by colder temps 

It is water based but with some sort of glycol additive similar to antifreeze. A lot of engineering went into that product. It really is great!

Water based slime will not freeze in the South. Folks up north may have a different experience...

Could use pre-mix antifreeze and Sta-Flo though I would guess

Edit: We could take all of our expeances and make and eco-friendly slime... @LedFTed with the black pepper and @SlammedRanger with the sta-flo... now all we need is a "green" anti-freeze and we caught the golden goose lol

Edited by oh400ex
  • Haha 1

oh yeah.... that would be a great mix .... talk about a rim being eat up.... nah i wouldn't think all those guys using his method would still be going the rout if it has a tendency to freeze ... even so ... the tire is already sealed ... and I've had green slime freeze before ... pepper will not seal a tire ... not even fine ground up ... pepper .. there's not enough tire pressure to make that work plus the water would be likely to freeze way before stayflo.. would. 

oh yeah.... that would be a great mix .... talk about a rim being eat up.... nah i wouldn't think all those guys using his method would still be going the rout if it has a tendency to freeze ... even so ... the tire is already sealed ... and I've had green slime freeze before ... pepper will not seal a tire ... not even fine ground up ... pepper .. there's not enough tire pressure to make that work plus the water would be likely to freeze way before stayflo.. would. 

Freezing is something i would know nothing about. My garage is temp maintained at 50 degrees year round. And i dont like the cold so i dont ride in it lol. I know why do i live this far north? The answer is family. LoL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1