Fishfiles

Motorcycles and Gas Powered Bicycles

I'd go with changing this first elbow then maybe the second ... as for milling the head to fit the tube .. would you have to mill out more of the seat tube for engine fit ? (second pic) plus how close would the head be to the rear brake cable, and bracket .. just my thoughts .. fish... what's this other tube you've already cut  ? any pics ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

haha I didn't even notice the cut frame!

That looks like he put the bike in a drill press with a large metal hole saw to me 😂

These bikes are such a fun project if you are ready for a little fabrication and modification. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Also when you get a chance take a shot of the lever.

Thanks for sharing!

• Confused 1

Nice detective work on that one!

Looking back knowing and it still looks like a hole 😂

• Like 1

That is a badge not a hole !!!! 

The head , I would cut it with a hand held band saw , then finish it with a 4 1/2 grinder with a flapper  sander wheel , then maybe a DA sander to polish it out .  Doesn't need too much cut maybe an inch in from the top edge them mitered down to nothing 

Here is a pic of the double brake lever , none of the cables are permanently set yet , all are loose in the pic

the gear shifter of the bike is a twist grip , so the hand grip on that side will have to be cut in about half , or I have thought of going old school with a lever style shifter ( English Racer style ) and not cut the grip and do away with the twist shifter , I doubt ( hope not ) have to be using the pedals much , to start it as it is required some pedaling and popping the clutch , but I have found a pull start model for really cheap @ $16 , got to research if it will work on my engine or not 

here is a quick  pic of the intake tubes , will cut the tube and make it level as possible and moved the tube to the other side of the bike in this pic -------  forgot to stop at the auto parts and see what kind of hose they have in 18.5mm to 3/4 " ID , tube measures 18.50 mm  O.D  , plan now is a rubber hose in the middle of two tubes , one tube off the jug and the other in the carb and connected with a hose and clamps , then make a bracket to hold the carb in place 

The sprocket hub wasn't ready today at the machine shop , he said maybe tomorrow 

fullsizeoutput_d5e.jpeg

70DgAztNS6+fg%oJ83lOXw.jpg

• Like 1

i was messing around... i knew there was no hole.. lol, anyways ... would using the other head help with more room ? maybe alow you to tilt the engine back a tad bit more ... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i was messing around... i knew there was no hole.. lol, anyways ... would using the other head help with more room ? maybe alow you to tilt the engine back a tad bit more ... 

Yes , using the other stock  head would make things easier , Shade suggested that also , I have a pic up the thread with the stock head on the engine , I have stuck it in the frame with the stock head on , don't think I have any pics of it , but might      -----     but , I loose a lot of Cool Factor with the stock head , cause that BigHead sure  is nicer looking and might cool it better ,  LOL 

• Like 1

i don't know fish, I'm crazy about details, I'd go with the other head .. the look is closer to the cylinder fins, the added plus, would be more room, what i don't like is the head fins routed east to west... i don't know much about these engines .. but can the head be rotated 90 degrees ? so the fins run north, and south ? 

• Like 1

Head is a blessing. Do whatever you can to make it work. That will extend the life of the bike a ton.

22 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

but can the head be rotated 90 degrees ? so the fins run north, and south

The little head's fins are lined up incorrectly in the picture as he just had it dropped on for a second to take the shot. They do go North | South

Can you cut the carb tubes and use a flexible hose in the middle and clamps? I know that's kinda jank but it would work.

Would allow you to bend the carb out of the way a bit to tweak the installation location too. No welding...

• Like 1

i never read the he slapped it on for a pic, it's not fish to slap anything together for a pic .... least, I've never seen him do it, and if runs north, and south .. the plug would have be north according to the head pic, and  limited engine space, least thats what i see. anyone have a shop manual on these engines ? 

Wilson , I see what your talking about now , you had me scared for a minute there , I just went and checked and the fins of the HP head on there now and they are right , front to back  >>>>  in the pics in the beginning of the thread the heads were not bolted down , was just trying them both out for clearance , the spark plug hole is to the side in that pic of the stock head 

Oh400 , I just cut a tube and picked up some hose and clamps a little while ago , it looks nice enough  , I need to take a pic , but I think the carb  is a bit high , may move it back to the other side of the bike , as the petcock is almost level to the inlet barb , the way the pipe is welded it rides higher on the right side then the left side ----every action has an opposite reaction , I think Einstein said that 

• Like 1

Shop manual , LOL ---- it never even came with instructions,  not even a part sheet of what was in the box , I went to you-tube and watched some guys install the kits , the jug , piston and  head wasn't even on the engine ---  Chinese full blown  

A white lettered Honda decal on the tank might be nice , Honda Wanna Be ----  LOL 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wilson , I see what your talking about now , you had me scared for a minute there , I just went and checked and the fins of the HP head on there now and they are right , front to back  >>>>  in the pics in the beginning of the thread the heads were not bolted down , was just trying them both out for clearance , the spark plug hole is to the side in that pic of the stock head 

lol! naw man... like i said i don't much about these sept this thread, and your post, but looks to a very interesting build. so you can rotate them ? do you think there be enough room for the plug to be in the back (south) ? 

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol! naw man... like i said i don't much about these sept this thread, and your post, but looks to a very interesting build. so you can rotate them ? do you think there be enough room for the plug to be in the back (south) ? 

Yes the head will fit any way , the bolt holes are square  

The cdi has a short spark plug lead , so for the cdi to mount on the front down tube the plug would likely have to be in the front  , it might make up with the spark plug on the side ---- I drew out a mounting bracket on an aluminum plate for the cdi to mount on  the front down tube , have not cut or drilled it yet , as the front down tube is too big for the mount  that came with the kit , the front down  tube is 1.75 " O.D. seems most bikes must be 1.30 "  O.D. as that is the size that came with the kit 

This was not the right bike to do the conversion  too , but I had the bike already  and it is a heavy duty bike , larger spokes , bigger tubes , etc 

• Like 1

I'm with you .... there, i believe I'd turn the plug front... I'm getting more of a image of how this is going to look. 

• Like 1

A couple of food for thought pics , left side and right side fuel intake , maybe a shorter hose ------ think the left side is a better way 

R%vtbEO+SqKiY4+AhTrNsA.jpg

hTp6SrShS2qJvkCDdAlgbg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

maybe a shorter hose

Been drinking some coffee and mulling this over and I still can't quite tell if you are trolling us 🤣

That looks... well... it looks! Wonder how it would work really...

Chain tensioner is awesome. That looks way more stout that most that you can buy.

Also the dual pull handle looks awesome! Great solution for someone with limited mobility in one hand too.

Definitely agree you are "pushing the rock up the hill" with this frame at all. I can tell that is nothing new though lol

Cosmetically been thinking if you can avoid cutting or grinding the head at all that would be best and it appears that you have mitigated for the tilt in other places.

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

As crazy as that looks, it might actually work. . . for a short time.  Silicone tubing would be better.  Could probably bend some thin walled stainless or aluminum pipe to work even better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

A couple of food for thought pics , left side and right side fuel intake , maybe a shorter hose ------ think the left side is a better way 

R%vtbEO+SqKiY4+AhTrNsA.jpg

hTp6SrShS2qJvkCDdAlgbg.jpg

looks to me like it would work just fine ... to me ... it's going to a trial and error type deal atomizing of the mixed gas might be an issue traveling that far. 

• Like 1

Gave the muffler a twist or two in the vise and got it to fit fairly nice without any nicks or dents , doesn't hit the pedals or the frame , tucks in nicely    

I shorten the hose between the carb and the intake , need to make a carb mounting bracket 

Made a plate for the CDI to mount on the frame  ,  just need to measure out and cut the bolts

Got the brake cables hooked up and working ----going to cut the clutch cable shorter ----handle bar controls need a lot more tweaking 

Still waiting on the hub/sprocket from the machine shop 

oh400ex , I remember you saying you had petcock leaks , the threads on the tank and petcock are a loose fit , I am thinking about right off the bat using 3M5200 on the threads and gluing the petcock in  

My dog will be happy when I am finished , messing up her nap 

fullsizeoutput_d60.jpeg

+M3hiZWJSoaLTc2UaW8m1g.jpg

T4pzLU1lSDWaeOy7zO4abA.jpg

found a couple of pics in my phone of the bike at the flea market that got me into this project ----  I think I am going to blow his mind when I pull up on my E-Zip , he might beat me with that header , LOL 

SnPcInm9TeSU2YxTZUJtPg.jpg

RDLtf5MrTKaJIS5YvvkLDQ.jpg

looks good,.... so your set on that head ? and  something i noticed .... with that air cleaner being so close to the rear tire ... are you planning on adding some type of debris shield for the side of the filter that faces the tire ? 

• Like 1