Fishfiles

Motorcycles and Gas Powered Bicycles

image.png

I am starting a project , converting this E-Zip electric bike to a 2 stroker , the kit comes in today , I been doing some preliminary work and already hit 2 stumbling blocks ,  the rear hub has a sprocket on but side , I need to remove the keft side hub and replace it with a larger sprocket , it has a spanner socket type nut , it is very close to the swing arm socket of a Honda , just a little bigger , I stopped at the bike shops here in Slidell and Lacombe and no one has that socket , couldn't find it on the internet either , might take a socket and grind it into a tool -----second problem is the diameter of the hub , the kit comes with a adaptor that grabs the spokes , there are CNC sprocket hub adaptors , that grab the hub ,  but I found them  in 1" ,  1.5" and 1.8 " , my hub is 1.25" , looks like one way to handle it would be to make a spacer bushing and go with the 1.5" if I can't find a adaptor in 1.25" 

7pMOcyi1Ro6ppztNwXrpVA.jpg

• Like 3

It may be more beneficial to find a better frame and trade for it. That one would totally work if it fit up easily. That sprocket on the wrong side deal is going to cause some headache. You are going to figure it out. Probably already made the tool but grab a rusty socket and start grinding if you go that route. Replacement sockets are dirt cheap and you likely have plenty of spares. There may be an existing solution you could order for spacers but just make it. It will be higher quality and custom fit at the end of it. Maybe a few scrapes on the knuckles lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Great video by a great YouTuber on the subject. This will give you an idea what Fish is about to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The kit came in yesterday , never opened it yet , Fed-Ex bombarbed me with text saying they needed a signature on the delivery or they wouldn't drop it off , but they did leave it 

This video shows the first two mods I am going to do , I have the  engine mounted chain tensioner on the way from Michigan Bike , read about the danger of the tensioner supplied in the kit coming loose and turning into the spokes , must have happened to someone ------

he doesn't show the hub/sprocket adaptor to well in the video , it clamps in two pieces around the hub and give you three mounting pillars for the sprocket , have not found the 1.25 size yet , sure I will  be able to come up with something for that , going to also replace the sprocket to a heavier duty one and 36 teeth , would rather low end then speed , the E-Zip has a nice speedometer on it and it would do 19mph as a electric bike ,this gas'er kit says it will be right at 35 mph , you can get bad hurt at 35MPH , 25mph with quick acceleration and I will be happy  --- LOL 

I went with the silver engine , kind of wish I went black 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oh400ex said:

It may be more beneficial to find a better frame and trade for it. That one would totally work if it fit up easily. That sprocket on the wrong side deal is going to cause some headache. You are going to figure it out. Probably already made the tool but grab a rusty socket and start grinding if you go that route. Replacement sockets are dirt cheap and you likely have plenty of spares. There may be an existing solution you could order for spacers but just make it. It will be higher quality and custom fit at the end of it. Maybe a few scrapes on the knuckles lol

We got a bike guy at the flea market in Lacombe and he gets some really nice unusual bike , I always like the beach cruisers with the big balloon tires , he had one a while back that had the biggest tires I ever seen on a bike , as big as motorcycle dirt bike tires , if I got something like that I would  be wanting to snorkel it , LOL ----   but I have the E-Zip already and it is a well built ,  heavy duty bike ,  I like that the spokes are the bigger size , which I think they call 12's , new to the lingo , it has some heavy duty , stiff tires that run 65PSI in them 

I see some guys run two levers on the left side , one for the clutch and one for the brake , looks crazy , might get confusing 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

We got a bike guy at the flea market in Lacombe and he gets some really nice unusual bike , I always like the beach cruisers with the big balloon tires , he had one a while back that had the biggest tires I ever seen on a bike , as big as motorcycle dirt bike tires , if I got something like that I would  be wanting to snorkel it , LOL ----   but I have the E-Zip already and it is a well built ,  heavy duty bike ,  I like that the spokes are the bigger size , which I think they call 12's , new to the lingo , it has some heavy duty , stiff tires that run 65PSI in them 

I see some guys run two levers on the left side , one for the clutch and one for the brake , looks crazy , might get confusing 

Mods that we did to mine was different tensioner, gearing, exhaust and a few others. I used a plastic roller from ATV chain and fabricated a spring steel piece to ride against it. Worked awesome. Need the good tension for wheelies lol

Swap the exhaust for any 50-80cc fat pipe. With a real 2-smoke fat pipe on it the power was night and day. Sound was better too. That will allow you to quiet it down with a real muffler too. Gearing for me was way too high with the kit. I did not want to go 30 on it and was interested in more power. Find any old used pipe and weld it...

You just need some acetone and a day with the rattle can to make that thing black... I would like the look of it. The head you got on that kit is sweet. Should run cooler than mine for sure...

Get some foam grips or those slip on if you don't already. I would guess that you will like the vibration dampening 

• Like 1

The engine upper had to be assembled , they gave two heads , before bolting the head down solid ,tried it in the frame to be sure it would work as the bigger head is much taller , the intake is going to have to be modified out the side as no room to mount the carb  like it is  ------ there was also a air cleaner upgrade in the kit , going to have to tweak the motor mounts  

rIRmWTTWQCie61yQW0FMQQ.jpg

ROOWEpJqTSWqrVRYKgZmsA.jpg

R+cChsE+TRWLGo7cEECOQA.jpg

Maybe paint the cylinder black and leave that head alone? Looking great man!

Ditch that paper filter and get a foam one. Keep it oiled well. Exhaust is an Achilles heal here. Start looking for a used fatty pipe from old 50-80cc 2-smoke IMO

Had the same tank on mine. Love the look but it did leak from the petcock brand new lol

• Like 1

40 years ago, I had a motor that mounted up on the front fork and it had a lever that pushed a friction wheel forward to make contact with the front tire...and that's also how you started it..a little throttle lever clamped onto the handbar..being an old 2 stroker there were times I really needed the engine but it just wouldn't start..leaving me cussing and more tired trying to get it going than I woulda been just pedaling home.

but when it would run...oh what a joy..it would pull me along just under the moped speed limit so I never got in trouble with the cops..did have one pace me one time though.. I'm sure he was trying to decide if he needed to pull me, but about 25mph was where it lived.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bighanded said:

40 years ago, I had a motor that mounted up on the front fork and it had a lever that pushed a friction wheel forward to make contact with the front tire...and that's also how you started it..a little throttle lever clamped onto the handbar..being an old 2 stroker there were times I really needed the engine but it just wouldn't start..leaving me cussing and more tired trying to get it going than I woulda been just pedaling home.

but when it would run...oh what a joy..it would pull me along just under the moped speed limit so I never got in trouble with the cops..did have one pace me one time though.. I'm sure he was trying to decide if he needed to pull me, but about 25mph was where it lived.

I remember them friction drive bicycles , anything is better than pedaling 

• Like 1

Got the electric sprocket off today , guy at the bike shop in Mandeville had the spanner socket , he done it two minutes and said it was free , gave him $5 --not going to use the spoke clamp for the sprocket connection , since I couldn't find a CNC 1.25 inch aluminum hub clamp (which I have ) , I ordered a 1 inch'er and going to get my buddy at the machine shop to bore it out , went with the CNC 40 tooth sprocket 

The engine mounted chain adjuster came in and I got it mounted , had to replace the bolts that came with it as they were not long enough 

They sent me 3 chains in the kit , took them all out and they are all the same size , mistake on their part ?? 

The handle bars are going to be busy and is going to take some tricks to cut the left grip and keep the twist gear shifter , might use a old school English Racer style toggle lever , which might be a good idea as two lever is busy 

Learned a trick off you-tube , used double stick tape on the channel under the fuel tank and didn't pull the backing off , makes a nice rubber mount and the tank doesn't slide around 

Going to have to bend or cut and weld a bit on the exhaust and do some rigging on the CDI mount as this bike has a extra large front frame down post 

Stuck two new inner  tubes in the tires , the ones with Slime in the tubes 

There is not one thing that didn't have to be tweaked 

fullsizeoutput_d50.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d51.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d4c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

They sent me 3 chains in the kit , took them all out and they are all the same size , mistake on their part ?? 

They are bad and they know it. Over my bike's life I replaced chain and sprockets with one from a small kids motorcycle.

More weight but more beefy. Again chasing the wheelie lol

Going to have to bend or cut and weld a bit on the exhaust

Don't waste a single minute on that exhaust IMO. Do yourself a favor and find a fatty pipe and muffler.

Cheap 50cc-80cc. Fabri-cobble it on if you have to.

Makes the biggest difference and will potentially extend life of the engine... 

You're doing awesome!

There is not one thing that didn't have to be tweaked 

😂🤣😄

So well said!

I loved the experience but if you are expecting stuff you fit and it to just work without playing with stuff you will have a bad time...

I would get rid of the double lever deal. Clutch on left and double pull lever on right. Adjust so it pulls the rear brake harder than front for safety.

If that's not how your kit came it should have. Cheap fix...

img_7542.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 2

Got a double pull brake lever on the way , never knew they had such a thing , thanks for the tip 

Header pipe , still looking around 

• Like 2

The sprocket hub adaptor came in today , it is nicely made , this one is for a 1inch hub , I have a 1.25 inch hub , they don't make a 1.25 , so I hope to have my machine shop buddy bore the hole from 1 to 1.25 , notice that when you bolt the sprocket on there is a gap , the bolts don't line up with it pulled together tight and the hole is not 1 inch all the way around unless there is a gap , so I think I need to make a couple of spacers to fill that gap and make it solid for him to bore it out and it seems there is a .003 under cut on the 1inch hole , so I am think my number is going to 1.22 bore 

That  CDI mount is going to be redone for sure 

fullsizeoutput_d5b.jpeg

Fh3OjXHUSdmmbVFRqbsSeA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_d58.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Had to stick the engine on it and see what it looked like , got another motor mount coming , I am liking it so far , nice having a project for inside , do 5 -10 minutes here and there 

4KHUuEZDRXivhMM1vuTMkQ.jpg

• Like 1

Looks sweet!

Color match the engine case sides and cylinder to the bike frame?

Gotta leave that head alone lol. Wanted to mention find an NGK to slide in there if you can

Don't know if you already torqued it (or if it really matters) but my bore on the kit was dirty and was cleaned/oiled before installing. 
Bike has ridden hundreds (maybe thousand+) miles with no engine issues. Haven't talked to the new owner in a while though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Looks sweet!

Color match the engine case sides and cylinder to the bike frame?

Gotta leave that head alone lol. Wanted to mention find an NGK to slide in there if you can

Don't know if you already torqued it (or if it really matters) but my bore on the kit was dirty and was cleaned/oiled before installing. 
Bike has ridden hundreds (maybe thousand+) miles with no engine issues. Haven't talked to the new owner in a while though

Thanks , for the sweet thoughts !! lol 

How much did you sell your for ? And do you have any pics of it ? Looking for ideas ---

I was thinking the black engine would have looked better , but I don't think so now except for the tank , it blends together pretty good 

I ordered that double right brake lever , which is cool , realized last night that the left brake lever I had , has a switch in it that could have been used for a brake light ---   I am thinking of sticking a battery in that box on the back rack , as long as I charge the battery on a tender , it should last long enough for some head and tail lights 

What oil/fuel ratio were you running in yours ?? Did you do a higher oil mix for break in?  -----   they are talking 4 tanks of fuel for the break in and at hundred miles per gallon , that is a lot of riding 

38 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Thanks , for the sweet thoughts !! lol 

How much did you sell your for ? And do you have any pics of it ? Looking for ideas ---

I was thinking the black engine would have looked better , but I don't think so now except for the tank , it blends together pretty good 

I ordered that double right brake lever , which is cool , realized last night that the left brake lever I had , has a switch in it that could have been used for a brake light ---   I am thinking of sticking a battery in that box on the back rack , as long as I charge the battery on a tender , it should last long enough for some head and tail lights 

What oil/fuel ratio were you running in yours ?? Did you do a higher oil mix for break in?  -----   they are talking 4 tanks of fuel for the break in and at hundred miles per gallon , that is a lot of riding 

Paid ~$200 for my engine and everything else was essentially free. (repurposed)

Basically gave it to a kid who I knew was going to treat it well and needed it for transportation. $100? I don't remember

I do on an old cell phone somewhere.

I'll come up with one someday but no idea where to look at the moment lol

Headlight and taillight. Use this...

I run it on my stuff with no headlights. They rock. I have this one but don't have to get this particular unit but get one like it...

Love this little light so much. Rechargeable and adjustable. Comes off and works as flashlight. It is easy to switch between machines too.

I always ran closer to the break-in oil ratio in it the whole time I owned it.

It runs better with more oil but everything gets deposits and may foul a plug. I like longevity so I ran it a bit rich.

I can't remember the ratio but I wanna say it was something crazy like 10:1 at start and then back off to 20:1 and I ran 15 the whole time.

I'm sorry this was a few years back. Gonna have to try again now though lol. I got my money back but one of those too good to be true deals popped up a few months ago for an entire kit for $20 so I bought two. Never got them obviously but before I could rationalize my fingers had already made the purchase 😆

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

oh400ex,  Quote "  one of those too good to be true deals popped up a few months ago for an entire kit for $20 so I bought two. Never got them obviously but before I could rationalize my fingers had already made the purchase 😆 "  

So am I reading this right , you paid for  two kits but never did receive them 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

oh400ex,  Quote "  one of those too good to be true deals popped up a few months ago for an entire kit for $20 so I bought two. Never got them obviously but before I could rationalize my fingers had already made the purchase 😆 "  

So am I reading this right , you paid for  two kits but never did receive them 

Correct. ~$40 on the paypal but it was refunded about 20 days later. The seller had their account stolen long/short

3 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Correct. ~$40 on the paypal but it was refunded about 20 days later. The seller had their account stolen long/short

That's a bummer , at least you got refunded ---------  usually when a deal is too good to be true it isn't !!! 

@oh400ex and anyone else with an idea , I got the longer 40 mm intake tube , it gets the carb away from the frame , but the angle has the carb no where near level , I doubt it will work at this angle , could try and bend the tube level , but it is going to be close to the chain or use the short tube I have and cut a piece of it and TIG weld that piece to the existing tube to get back level ------    what you'll think 

The dual brake lever came in , that really cleaned up the handle bars , nice mod and the style and colors of the lever match the clutch lever  ---- the bored out sprocket hub should be ready , need to check on it today 

Also thinking about cutting a bit off the head to get it away from the frame top tube 

pzbY4uwoSwe8ORfBxEAazg.jpg

• Like 1

The head deal is sure something I was not expecting.

If someone could mill off a bit it would look great but Idk how else you would cut it and not make it look terrible.

If you were able to mill the head a bit to accept the tube it might tilt the whole assembly enough to help level the carb a bit.

Ultimately it looks like you will need to cut the intake tube in half in the middle.

Rotate the tube pieces so that the carb will be level and weld up the cut?

Definitely not leaving you much room to work with on that frame lol

Mine did have a boot but nothing like that. It was way closer to the engine and had more of a traditional boot.

If you rode it around on a wheelie the angle is perfect! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Confused 1