Sign in to follow this  
oh400ex

Basic Stator Diagnosis | TRX450R/450ER

Hello again everyone!

I wanted to do a quick write-up on my experience with diagnosing and fixing an electrical problem on this 2008 TRX450ER.

The issue was originally described as "will run but dies when hot" and was parked for that reason. By the time I got the machine it would not produce spark at all.

See more about it here

The stator is what generates electricity in this type of motor. (Can compare to alternator in a car) 

Normally in a bike engine... the flywheel spins around coiled metal wires and generates electricity from changes in magnetic field.

Like with any project the service manual is the place to start.

For this and most factory services the information is listed in the "Ignition System" section and in "General Information" for certain technical specs.

Peak voltage is the best way to measure this but if you don't have the tool on hand there is somewhat of a shortcut using a regular cheapo multimeter.

Caveat is that a stator can test fine with ohm but still fail on the peak voltage. It is a better and more thorough test.

Forgive the Craftsman. I know it wont be accurate but you don't bring out grandad's pocket watch when you just need to tell the time... (fluke meter)

I am going to pick up a better everyday multimeter with peak voltage capabilities sooner than later.

The measurements will speak for themselves here but unfortunately I couldn't find ohm ranges in the factory manual. Peak voltage stats are better and available though.

See on the diagram below that we have multiple wires coming from the stator but only three that matter in this context...

White (W)

Blue (Bu)

Black and Red (Bl/R)

Meter set to 200ohms my measurements are this...

Old Stator  New Stator
Bl/R to W = 34.7  Bl/R to W = 52.6
Bl/R to Bu = 26.9   Bl/R to Bu = 43.8
Bu to W = 8.2   Bu to W = 9.1

Low number bad... high number good... 🧠

The peak voltage test would show even more.

Hopefully someday this helps someone.

Thank you for looking!

Capture.PNG

20201004_125259_HDR.jpg

20201004_125233.jpg

20201004_125024.jpg

20201004_105825.jpg

20201004_124908.jpg

20201004_125158.jpg

20201004_124836.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
Pictures
  • Thanks 1

i just ohm the stator out, if it measures more than 0.09 ?, it has an open circuit. keep in mind though, this does not rule out the reg/rec !. stators for the most part generate AC voltage, then goes to the reg/rec, which converts this AC voltage to DC voltage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i just ohm the stator out, if it measures more than 0.09 ?, it has an open circuit. keep in mind though, this does not rule out the reg/rec !. stators for the most part generate AC voltage, then goes to the reg/rec, which converts this AC voltage to DC voltage.

Great point! Thank you for the info.

Side note... I did trim my nails after these photos. I know... 😅

Edited by oh400ex
  • Haha 1

I was un-aware there were meters out there that did peak voltage? I just got a peak voltage adapter off line that plugs into the leads on my meter. Which used to be a fluke but now that i do HVAC its a uei clamp meter lol. 

Side note: dont you hate when you notice how horrible your hands look in photos? I do the samething lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Great point! Thank you for the info.

Side note... I did trim my nails after these photos. I know... 😅

Trim nail clippers, aint the same thing, coming from china. 😁

Edited by LedFTed

13 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

I was un-aware there were meters out there that did peak voltage? I just got a peak voltage adapter off line that plugs into the leads on my meter. Which used to be a fluke but now that i do HVAC its a uei clamp meter lol. 

Side note: dont you hate when you notice how horrible your hands look in photos? I do the samething lol.

i could care less how my hands/nails look in pics ?..if they aint greasy/dirty ?..THEN I CAN'T SHOW ANYONE I AM WORKING !..ROFL.

• Haha 1

ditto .... most times the nails are chipped away for those who actually ... wrench / work. 

dealing with fire wood will sure enough make your hands tuff ... lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™