AKATV

Foreman 450 Mystery Shift Control Module?

I came across these on ebay and wanted to see if anyone had any insight on this control module.

I have not run across one before in 40 plus machines, one ebay listing says it was an update on some models

I wanted to see if anyone had one on their machine and if it was an update what did it fix-shift issues?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-HONDA-FOREMAN-450-ES-CDI-MODULE-ECM-COUPLING-WIRING-HARNESS-CJP/133269510347?hash=item1f077b58cb:g:L28AAOSwpI5d8aPh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-TRX450ES-FOREMAN-4X4-ATV-OEM-CDI-UPDATE-BOX-D1220/333597895832?hash=item4dabfbec98:g:nIEAAOSwuj1eu~86

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-HONDA-TRX450ES-CLUTCH-CONTROL-UNIT/143758993792?hash=item2178b42980:g:Eq0AAOSwGL5fcRFA

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

Heres another one for sale with the part number as well

Apparently it fits 98-99 Foreman 450ES model and is a Continuous Current Control  Module" whatever that means....

Still trying to figure it out what it actually does and where it goes

Looks  like it would plug inline wit the the speedometer connection, but just a guess

Any insight appreciated

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-98-99-HONDA-TRX450-450-FOREMAN-CONTINUOUS-CURRENT-CONTROL-KIT-37290-HN0-305-/362644908332

I found that TooDeep answered this on another Honda Foreman forum

Apparently this was an updated additional part to fix battery drain issues on 98-99 450ES models and it does in fact plug in between the speedometer harness

Hope it helps someone

sorry to link to another forum  (boo, hiss)  but has some good information

https://www.hondaforeman.com/threads/continuous-current-kit-37290-hn0-305.79879/

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

I have a 2000 and a 2002 450 , both are FM's and not ES's , both will suck the batteries down if left for more than a couple of weeks without riding them , I keep tenders on them , was told and it made sense to me , the displays have a clock and hour meter , so voltage is being used for that , but then I have heard there is a battery like in a key fob on a vehicle inside the display for the memory , I have never seen that battery 

You correct it makes no sense to me either, as all the other similar models have the same(roughly) meters with clock and hours functions etc and have no drain issues

As far as i have learned thru the years,the hour meter only runs/uses battery when key is on and there is no memory battery in the meter at all for sure, at least not in the Foreman 450 or or Rancher 350 variants

All data for mileage and hours as well as gear position indicator is stored on an EEPROM chip and should be permanent,

but for some reason, when be when battery on these  goes dead or ATV is jumped started or ran with no battery present, the data gets corrupted or erased on the the chip 

The clock uses so little power that it should last 100 years lol- if you think  how long a watch battery powers a watch for

I guess these model do have an inherent flaw causing a drain.

I have also seen a bad diode in the voltage regulator also cause a slow drain as well over time even thought it charged  properly and seemed to be working ok

Maybe the above mentioned device Honda came up with would solve the drain issue for your model as well?

I think its best to keep these on a tender as well, as all batteries lose a small bit of charge when sitting regardless.

If I remember correctly, I think lead acid batteries self discharge at a rate of around 5% a month at room temperature or thereabouts

• Like 2

i can say for a 100% fact, all trx450's drain power from the battery when the key is off !!. i got this info straight from my bud and parts guy that works/retired ( my bud ) from my local honda dealership, they both told me when i was rebuilding my '03 trx450fm ( s ), that i should either disconnect my battery ?, or leave it hooked up to a battery tender, as it WILL drain the battery when left sitting for a certain time. no there is not a battery on the display circuit board, yes this circuit board does in fact draw down power from the battery when the key is off ?, maybe not much ?, but if left sitting for a few weeks ?, it will drain the battery down, i know this for a fact !!.

• Like 2

Well then, I would have to say we’ve nailed  down the fact that Honda created the “continuous current module” mentioned above after the fact to resolve an inherent flaw on these machines with current drain 
Mystery solved, thanks for all the input!

Now I am going to have to get my hands on one to try it out and see how well it works

Edited by AKATV
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AKATV said:

Well then, I would have to say we’ve nailed  down the fact that Honda created the “continuous current module” mentioned above after the fact to resolve an inherent flaw on these machines with current drain 
Mystery solved, thanks for all the input!

Now I am going to have to get my hands on one to try it out and see how well it works

glad we could help !. seems to me, all that unit is, is a fancy battery disconnect ?. just keep a battery tender on your atv's..problem solved !.