Ian

Front brakes on 87 350 fourtrx

I’m having trouble with the front brakes on my 87 honda fourtrx 350 4x4. When I bought it they didn’t work at all. Since then I have got a new handle and reservoir/ master cylinder. I have also replaced new pads. I bled the brakes. The problem I’m having is the pads are rubbing and when I pull the handle I have to pull if 2-3 times for them to stop.  When I change the adjustment so the pads don’t rub it still does the same thing where it takes 2-3 pulls of the brake before they engage. I don’t know why. Did I not bleed them right? Am I missing something? 

Do you have the service manual?

Did you have a machine shop turn the hubs to make sure they’re concentric?

this model has shoes not pads; wheel cylinders on each side push both shoes in, so you have to adjust both. Both need to be set gently outward until the shoes contact the hub. Then back them off each by three turns.

bleeding the brakes is an artform but—in the master cylinder, did you remove the rubber puck and clean the two ports? Air gets trapped in the top of the hose. If so, jiggle the brake lever and you may see air bubbles rise up. This is a pic of a TRX300 master cylinder but both have those two ports

63C4306A-FC98-4F81-B83E-A3571296B80B.jpeg

• Like 2

When I first started bleeding then I had the bubbles but not anymore. I will try adjusting the pads again I didn’t know about the backing off 3 clicks. Thank you for your help and time. Will let you know if it works. Thanks again. 

i had kind of the same trouble with my 86 ... tank .... but just as goober said ...i adjusted them (all 4) and that fixed the problem. 

my  brakes .. had been adjusted wrong before i got the bike. 

Welcome aboard.  Pumping usually means they aren't adjusted or you have air in the lines.