oh400ex

Parting out a bike | 2008 Can-Am Spyder GS RS

Here are a few more shots...

The exhaust after cleaning, the "burnt" pile and some plastics being refinished.

On this plastic I grind off the old burnt stuff, prep surface, adhesion promoter, plastic bondo, sand, primer and paint.

Just getting started with that process and may not make it that far with this project.

Thank for for looking!

20201012_095807.jpg

20201012_095607.jpg

20201012_095751.jpg

Quick update...

Vehicle check came back clean. Nothing listed for theft in any databases and no claims of record. 

I have been told there are several ways to get this bike back on the road (clean title) in Arkansas.

Let me preface all of this by saying that I do not have the title in-hand and until then this is all conjecture.

Process goes like this... I take my information to revenue office and fill out a form.

A judge does some judging, declares the bike good and makes it official that I am the owner.

I can then apply for a lost title like normal. 

If for whatever reason this does not work or there is some other reason it can not be registered in AR...

It can be done digitally in Vermont without ever setting foot in the state and without being a resident.

You would then transfer the Vermont title to AR.

Again, BIG grains of salt until I get anything in my hand but what I was thinking seems to have been confirmed at this time.

Thank you for reading!

---

From the Spyder forums...

There are two black boxes, the Calibration Module, PN705600626, and the Engine Control Module, PN420266764, that you will have to have the BRP's B.U.D.S., software to diagnose if they were damaged in the fire or have a dealership check them out.

And my response...

Heart absolutely hit the floor when I saw the calibration module mentioned. I was aware of this part existing but had no idea that it was ~$900 plus a dealer visit to even touch!

Fingers and toes crossed for me but it may be OK. To my knowledge, the CM 705600626 is located on the bottom of the machine and suffered no damage. ECM 420266764 is also in good shape cosmetically but was closer to actual fire damage than is comfortable for a part this expensive and tied to a dealer visit.
The picture(s) show what I believe to be the part you are mentioning. Hopefully, between what can be seen and the wiring harness below...
I will have most (if not everything) required to restore the main components of the electrical system. Need a dash...

20201012_162835.jpg

20201012_162910.jpg

20201012_163043.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Bonded Titles are valid for 3 years in Arkansas. The "bonded" brand remains on your title for those entire 3 years.

If no one comes forward and makes a claim against your Arkansas Lost Title Bond during those 3 years then you (or whoever owns the vehicle at the time) can go to the DMV and apply for the "bonded" brand to be removed. Upon approval, you will be issued a clear certificate of title.

If you decide to sell your vehicle before the 3 years is up, that is okay. Your name will remain on the surety bond, though, until the 3 years is up. You will be liable for any surety bond claims during those 3 years.

Were it mine, I would be contacting the people who sold it, and asking them if they would apply for a duplicate title, and then sign it over.  This is the easiest, lowest cost, lowest risk option.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Bonded Titles are valid for 3 years in Arkansas. The "bonded" brand remains on your title for those entire 3 years.

If no one comes forward and makes a claim against your Arkansas Lost Title Bond during those 3 years then you (or whoever owns the vehicle at the time) can go to the DMV and apply for the "bonded" brand to be removed. Upon approval, you will be issued a clear certificate of title.

If you decide to sell your vehicle before the 3 years is up, that is okay. Your name will remain on the surety bond, though, until the 3 years is up. You will be liable for any surety bond claims during those 3 years.

Were it mine, I would be contacting the people who sold it, and asking them if they would apply for a duplicate title, and then sign it over.  This is the easiest, lowest cost, lowest risk option.

yeah..bonded titles are a royal pain to deal with here in arkansas !. i did it once..never again !..lol.

• Like 1

Bonded is not an option for me. I would go the Vermont route before going down that road. I will do whatever is easiest 

6 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Bonded is not an option for me. I would go the Vermont route before going down that road. I will do whatever is easiest 

can you not track down the first owner, and have them find the title, or file for a lost title ?. seems to me..this would be the first thing i'd try to do.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

can you not track down the first owner, and have them find the title, or file for a lost title ?. seems to me..this would be the first thing i'd try to do.

Yes. I have their address and phone number if needed. That may be the easiest route. 

• Like 2

On October 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM, oh400ex said:

Guess I'm an eBay seller again for a few months lol

be sure to put the link up ... when you get your store up, and running. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Yes. I have their address and phone number if needed. That may be the easiest route. 

@shadetree how much is the cost for a duplicate title in Arkansas ? 

17 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

be sure to put the link up ... when you get your store up, and running. 

Well for the moment I am going to see how trying to get it running goes. If that fails I will go back down the eBay road.

11 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@shadetree how much is the cost for a duplicate title in Arkansas ? 

$10

The last titled owner(s) of record must sign an application for duplicate title.  If jointly owned with owner names connected by “and” both must sign, if connected by “or” either may sign.  If a lien has been recorded and is still in effect, the lien holder may complete and sign a Permission to Issue a Replacement Title form, # 10-315, and the title will be mailed to the lien holder.  If the customer states that a recorded lien has been released, a lien release is required, in which case a notification will be sent to lien holder informing them that they have ten (10) business days to respond if the lien release is not valid.  If the lien holder does not respond within ten (10) business days, the title will be printed and provided to the owner.  If the lien holder responds that the lien release is not valid, the duplicate title will be mailed to the lien holder.  In addition to the above requirements, the applicant will need something to identify the vehicle, such as a vehicle registration certificate, a license plate number, a title number or the vehicle identification number. The cost for a replacement title is $10.00. Checks should be made payable to the Department of Finance and Administration.

Yep, duplicate titles are cheap, IF the last person to whom it was titled asks for it.  If you're not that person, they won't (legally) give you a duplicate title.

• Thanks 1

Well... as optimistic as I was/am about the future of this project I have found some really bad problems...

As ready as I was for this kind of thing I would be lying if I said it wasn't a huge let down to find it in this shape. 
Everything the PO said carries the weight of a feather in a windstorm with me from here forward... that is for sure.

Thank you for looking!

20201015_154348.jpg

20201015_154322.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

4 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Well... as optimistic as I was/am about the future of this project I have found some really bad problems...

As ready as I was for this kind of thing I would be lying if I said it wasn't a huge let down to find it in this shape. 
Everything the PO said carries the weight of a feather in a windstorm with me from here forward that is for sure.

Thank you for looking!

so what you are saying is..that 500 bucks could not come fast enough to bail on this huh ?..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, shadetree said:

so what you are saying is..that 500 bucks could not come fast enough to bail on this huh ?..lol.

No. Not quite there with it yet lol. Still a lot of meat on these bones but will need more TLC than I would have hoped.

Here are some pictures of under the rocker cover. Not everything is doom and gloom. There is some surface rust on one of the cam lobes but no noticeable pitting and the timing chain appears to be in good condition. There may still be enough here to bring back to life but after researching how much parts are for these bikes I think ill be OK either way.

Tin foil hat time...

BRP might be buying up parts themselves as part of their business model.

There is almost no availability in the used market even though there are a lot of bikes getting older.

20201015_162207.jpg

20201015_162225.jpg

20201015_162228.jpg

20201015_162238.jpg

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep, duplicate titles are cheap, IF the last person to whom it was titled asks for it.  If you're not that person, they won't (legally) give you a duplicate title.

thank you jeep, it's about $11 here... 

Definitely going to pull the heads now and see how much I can clean up. May never go back together...

Cams are in amazing shape. Seen a lot of worn out engines and this is not one...

Still might be destroyed in some way but there are salvageable parts none the less. I go back to happy to see it not hit the crusher either way.

This thing is kinda fun to work on. Take apart anyway... 

Most everything is 10mm and it does have some of what seems to be logical decisions in design from a smooth-brain like me.

Impact tools feel like cheating. I used to struggle for days with things that just zip right off with an impact.

Bagged and tagged one head and took a shot or two before I put her to bed for the night.

The parts are sitting on my wife's 91 300FW and the gauge was put on later in its life but has ~6500 miles on the clock. 

Original everything. Stock tire size, stock filters and good oil for its whole life. Still starts like brand new. Only thing that doesn't work fully is the rear brake.

Thank you for reading!

20201015_184848.jpg

20201015_172733.jpg

20201015_184940~2.jpg

i thought you had just the 95 300..... cause i think asked how many you had, and never heard about the 91 .... and that's a atc speedo, not the right one for a 300. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

20 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i thought you had just the 95 300..... cause i think asked how many you had, and never heard about the 91 .... and that's a atc speedo, no the right one for a 300. 

No 🤣 I have spent my entire life collecting Honda. I have +10 utilities between myself, my wife and bikes at my dad's house.

You say not the right one and I say better than anything else that could be on the bike. I loved Honda's ATCs. They just don't love you back...

9 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'd haul it off for scrap.... get another honda on that long list to rebuild... 

Definitely not scrap yet. Honda doesn't make anything even close to this and if they did I could never afford it. 

You can edit a post and add to it for a long time after. You have two back to back when you could just edit the one.

No worries either way. It cleans everything up to have less posts and your thoughts would be condensed to a single place.

Edited by oh400ex

nah my post were just as i wanted them, because nether had one thing related to the other, and i asked about the famous 300 ... not just honda utilty wheelers ... 

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nah my post were just as i wanted them, because nether had one thing related to the other, and i asked about the famous 300 ... not just honda utilty wheelers ... 

If you would please consider condensing them in my threads. Free county.

Somewhere in the range of 8 depending on how many parts bikes worth of stuff you would count as a full bike. I have only 4 300s actively rideable at the moment. The tan one we spoke about is basically a full bike and there is another basically full running 2wd bike as well that was taken out of service due to the rear end.

nah..... once you post a thread  here it belongs to the forums ... told to  me by a mod. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 2

This was a mean post directed at Wilson... 

Don't be mean.

Edited by oh400ex
above

29 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

If you would please consider condensing them in my threads. Free county.

Somewhere in the range of 8 depending on how many parts bikes worth of stuff you would count as a full bike. I have only 4 300s actively rideable at the moment. The tan one we spoke about is basically a full bike and there is another basically full running 2wd bike as well that was taken out of service due to the rear end.

I'll have to look back.... i believe you said the 95 tan was kind of rough .. and i mentioned maybe build it back up... 

aww I'm sorry... i was expecting a PM ... not a post in open forums