Quadjunkie

450 oil filter #'s

I'm changing the oil and need a new filter for an 04 450 ES.

Where are you guys getting your filters online?

Does fram have a good filter?

I use Doanldson filters , here are a few numbers for you 

Fram CH6015 cross reference chart  
AC-Delco Pf2148
Baldwin P7132
Big A 96944
Canadian Tire 27-5514-6
Carquest 89944
Champ P7013
Emgo 10-99200
Hastings Lf474
Hiflo Hf112
Honda 15410-KF0-305
Honda 15410-KF0-315
Honda 15410-KFO-315
Honda 15412-HM5-A10
Honda 15412-KF0-000
Honda 15412-KF0-010
Honda 15412-KF0-020
K & N Kn-112
Kawasaki 52010-1053
Luber-Finer P7013
Mobil 1 M1mc-173
Napa 4944
Polaris 3088036
Purolator Ml16815
STP P7013
Warner P7013
WIX 24944

• Thanks 1

Go to Napa, get the PS4944.  They are Wix filters, and are  LOT better than Fram.

If you want to buy multiples online, Rockauto has the Wix 24944.  You'll have to order several to make it worthwhile after they add on the shipping charges.

• Like 1

I jumped on the Napa web site and with a little research found they have a category for atv's.

The Napa filter has the wix # but there is a little oring around the metal opening. Wonder if that is worth $2.00 more....

Autozone had filters when I was doing rapid fire oil changes in my 450 during the troubleshooting phase. Was shocked it wasn't a dealer only item.

That said, running Honda filters right now but run Wix or Napa brand in my cars and believe they have really good quality filters. 

1 minute ago, Quadjunkie said:

I jumped on the Napa web site and with a little research found they have a category for atv's.

The Napa filter has the wix # but there is a little oring around the metal opening. Wonder if that is worth $2.00 more....

They should all have that rubber seal on one side.

I'm pretty sure they're the same filter.  The Napa one just costs more because it's Napa.

3 minutes ago, Quadjunkie said:

That's a replacement for the filter cover o-ring. I change them on my cars about every other oil change for no reason other than it comes with the filter. If you haven't touched it in a while you could change it but honestly an o-ring, if designed right, should be re-usable. As long as its not cut or sagging...shoudl be OK.

Oh, after reading Jeep's response and reading yours again. They should all have that seal and be careful how you install it! The aftermarket ones aren't marked how it goes together whereas Honda's are stamped which side is which.

Edited by 87Iroc

Just now, 87Iroc said:

That's a replacement for the filter cover o-ring. I change them on my cars about every other oil change for no reason other than it comes with the filter. If you haven't touched it in a while you could change it but honestly an o-ring, if designed right, should be re-usable. As long as its not cut or sagging...shoudl be OK.

Wasn't sure if he was talking about the oring for the cover, or the rubber seal that's on one side of the filter.

I rarely change the oring on the cover.  I do keep those in case I need them down the road.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

Oh, after reading Jeep's response and reading yours again. They should all have that seal and be careful how you install it! The aftermarket ones aren't marked how it goes together whereas Honda's are stamped which side is which.

umm..i beg to differ !..lol. i had a honda bag with a honda oil filter inside, removed the filter from the package, and low an behold, the words stamped on the filter '' this side out '' WERE ON THE WRONG END OF THE FILTER !..LOL. glad i know which way they go in !!. at the bottom of the package on the front, it read '' Made in Taiwan '' rofl. i'll see if i still have the pics i took that day ?.

• Like 2

sooo..with these pics posted ^^^...ALWAYS REMEMBER..THE SOLID END GOES IN FIRST WITH THE SPRING BEHIND IT, AND THE SEAL FACES OUTSIDE AGAINST THE COVER :-).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is criminal!

Depending on what company that came from you might be able to make that worth its weight in gold.

Send the company that sold you that filter an email. Attach an invoice for engine repair and a few pictures of that sunk foreman you are working on lol

Just see if that ruffles any feathers 😅

Edit: Fram bad wix good

Edited by oh400ex
  • Haha 1

Yep. For a newby...it would have screwed me up. I took a pic when I was putting the last filter in so I could reference back lol...

image.png

Edited by 87Iroc

That looks like reversing the filter would be easy to do.

The Napa is only around $9.00. Not to bad. 

How many companies make filters?  The list in post #2 is long but how many are the same filter?

Edited by Quadjunkie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, shadetree said:

umm..i beg to differ !..lol. i had a honda bag with a honda oil filter inside, removed the filter from the package, and low an behold, the words stamped on the filter '' this side out '' WERE ON THE WRONG END OF THE FILTER !..LOL. glad i know which way they go in !!. at the bottom of the package on the front, it read '' Made in Taiwan '' rofl. i'll see if i still have the pics i took that day ?.

i recal, that post ... i was like wth.