Wheeler

Clutch Replacement.

You can’t really feel the ribs that u see on the drum. I’m gonna go buy a sanding flapper wheel & buff er up.. but u can really see & feel the difference between the new weights & old ones. 

D8A1DBB7-1880-4C62-BC76-8FE0AABCEA81.jpeg

851D0951-27F4-4C99-8DF9-B14FE293ACA6.jpeg

D2AA1B64-4C02-4ECE-A0EF-FAD6143D5818.jpeg

91C19A1E-6863-41B3-83D6-EC5C5583D5FC.jpeg

A8A5F529-8FF6-4CAA-8080-236B5DC53532.jpeg

Oh & that one way bearing isn’t rite. Not sure what it’s for.. says starter clutch bearing..

46 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Oh & that one way bearing isn’t rite. Not sure what it’s for.. says starter clutch bearing..

Seems like Shade said they're the same, but backwards, or something along that line.

Not sure if it's as easy as flipping it over, but I think it can be made to work.

That said, I'd be sending it back and telling them you need one for the clutch, not the flywheel.

yup the bearing fit fine & only rotates counter clockwise.. seems fine to me.. WOW is the new clutch every a lot closer to the drum... gonna bite hard now for sure!!!!!!!

• Like 1

That’s close. Love it. HL springs swapped over, just have to soak er in oil for a bit before reinstall

897B73DA-1288-4407-9D85-5873D4D34ED0.jpeg

Wow , them clutch weights were burned  up ----the drum looks like it had grooves cut into it in one pic , did you get another drum or cut the grooves out ,  if you did cut them down , what about the  lost of I.D. material , wonder if that will affect performance ---- the starter one way bearing is made into a flange , they are no longer available ------------   can't imagine what they sent you on the one way bearing , that same bearing is used in a LOT of Hondas over the years 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow , them clutch weights were burned  up ----the drum looks like it had grooves cut into it in one pic , did you get another drum or cut the grooves out ,  if you did cut them down , what about the  lost of I.D. material , wonder if that will affect performance ---- the starter one way bearing is made into a flange , they are no longer available ------------   can't imagine what they sent you on the one way bearing , that same bearing is used in a LOT of Hondas over the years 

ya I took an 80 grit flapper wheel lightly to the inside of the drum, then 120 grit. I used my die grinder.. but as u can see the new one fits soo tight compared to the old one.. it was 25 years of service on that ole girl... I'm not too worried about the ID as I didn't hit it that hard.. The bearing seems to fit/work fine on the clutch..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Seems like Shade said they're the same, but backwards, or something along that line.

Not sure if it's as easy as flipping it over, but I think it can be made to work.

That said, I'd be sending it back and telling them you need one for the clutch, not the flywheel.

I don't have time... I put it on & it works fine.. I found an old post on the other site where @shadetree & others say to remove the spring & bearings & just swap them over using the clutch cage... The flywheel cage fits on & only spins counter clockwise, so why would I have to swap all the bearings? The cage isn't a lot different at all... 

Any thoughts...

Well I put it back together with the starter bearing on the clutch side. Fits fine, spins counter clockwise & kick starter works like it should. Should be good to go. Oil draining out now. New oil & filter going in as well. 

Edited by Wheeler

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I don't have time... I put it on & it works fine.. I found an old post on the other site where @shadetree & others say to remove the spring & bearings & just swap them over using the clutch cage... The flywheel cage fits on & only spins counter clockwise, so why would I have to swap all the bearings? The cage isn't a lot different at all... 

Any thoughts...

when i speak of the '' flipping '' the bearings over/around ?, what i mean is, your not flipping the whole cage ?, your flipping the roller lobes over/around !. not the cage. you can not get the clutch one-way bearing any longer, but you can buy the starter clutch side, take the lobes out of the cage, remove the spring on the clutch cage, carefully pay attention to which way they face ?, then install the lobes from the starter cage facing the same direction. all you have to remember is, is both one-way bearing lobes are always facing different directions when in the cages.

• Like 2

i hope you did not ruin the centrifugal clutch drum ??, they have wear limits on them !!. from the looks of those weights ^^^ ?, they were over heated, prob from wear ?, or your heavy thumb ?..lol. either way..they are bad. as for the new weights ?, call me old and near sighted ?!..but they look way to close to the inside of the drum !!.

• Like 1

@shadetree yes I knew there is wear limits. I barely took any material off the drum. Yes I agree the old weights were toast. The new ones are very close to the drum, but spun freely. I read ur post in swapping the bearings by removing them, but don’t understand why. The starter bearing fit & worked perfect. I had it in & off, compared the two & how they fit ect. There is a small lip & that’s it. I’ve got er back together using the starter bearing on the clutch.. like I said the kick start worked perfect. Just gonna check the oil level & I’ll let ya know how it all works. 

I maybe the guiniee pig, but if it works perfect then I’ll let y’all know. 

11 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

@shadetree yes I knew there is wear limits. I barely took any material off the drum. Yes I agree the old weights were toast. The new ones are very close to the drum, but spun freely. I read ur post in swapping the bearings by removing them, but don’t understand why. The starter bearing fit & worked perfect. I had it in & off, compared the two & how they fit ect. There is a small lip & that’s it. I’ve got er back together using the starter bearing on the clutch.. like I said the kick start worked perfect. Just gonna check the oil level & I’ll let ya know how it all works. 

I maybe the guiniee pig, but if it works perfect then I’ll let y’all know. 

i'll try this one more time..then i'll give up !..lol. the one-way clutch bearing is discontinued today, YOU CAN NOT BUY IT !. but !!!, you can buy the starter side one-way bearing. on the clutch one-way bearing side, seeing how you can not buy this ?, you buy the starter clutch one-way bearing, remove the lobes from the cage, install the LOBES !!, into the clutch side one-way bearing cage in the same direction, problem solved !. as for you installing a starter one-way bearing ( the whole bearing ! ) into the centrifugal clutch drum ?.how the heck did you do this ?..the clutches are NOT the same !!!.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Wheeler said:

Wow. This was fast. Showed up today. Went & picked up some more GN4 oil & filter as well. I know what I’m doing tomorrow now! Lol. 

444147A7-5BC8-48E3-B812-BF0A95CEFF2F.jpeg

473C084A-3A75-442A-8BF4-F251B0FCAF34.jpeg

85DF17FE-44CB-4715-9D7C-EC2C07F0B213.jpeg

F077CE43-B03D-412F-9E8D-D937C3076A4D.jpeg

9C935E56-D0CE-4EB6-BDCD-858EA2F2108A.jpeg

C1277A4E-3087-4F62-A029-F6B4A0A74120.jpeg

6EA4CBEA-BB7B-4DFE-9FC7-411D79A416FA.jpeg

THIS PIC OF THIS STARTER ONE-WAY CLUTCH CAN NOT BE USED IN THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTC AT ALL !. reason: it has a lip on the cage, the CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH ONE WAY BEARING DOES NOT USE OR HAVE A LIP ON THE CAGE !.

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Any thoughts...

got a link to that  post in the other forums ? 

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/so-your-one-way-bearing-went-out-then-read-this.15697/

I have NO idea what your talking Shade.. it fit on & worked fine.. EVEN thought it has the LIP... it fit in, works fine..

ONLY issue I'm now having is like mentioned... it's soo close to the drum, even with the HL springs, she's moving in gear... I adjusted the clutch, but still moving.. she's gonna have to wear in... I'm talking it hunting on Monday for the week as I NEED it.. so she's gonna have to be run like that for now...

Edited by Wheeler
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/so-your-one-way-bearing-went-out-then-read-this.15697/

I have NO idea what your talking Shade.. it fit on & worked fine.. 

ONLY issue I'm now having is like mentioned... it's soo close to the drum, even with the HL springs, she's moving in gear... I adjusted the clutch, but still moving.. she's gonna have to wear in... I'm talking it hunting on Monday for the week as I NEED it.. so she's gonna have to be run like that for now...

those weights are to close to the drum ?, all oem stock ( same drum ? ). i posted a post of a pic you posted showing us '' what you are calling the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing ?..that is not the clutch one-way bearing bro !. that pic is of the starter one-way clutch bearing, SO AGAIN..HOW THE HECK DID YOU FIT THIS BEARING INSIDE THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH DRUM ???..because the starter side bearing has a metal lip around the cage !.

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

those weights are to close to the drum ?, all oem stock ( same drum ? ). i posted a post of a pic you posted showing us '' what you are calling the centrifugal clutch one-way bearing ?..that is not the clutch one-way bearing bro !. that pic is of the starter one-way clutch bearing, SO AGAIN..HOW THE HECK DID YOU DID THIS BEARING INSIDE THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH DRUM ???..because the starter side bearing has a metal lip around the cage !.

shade.. your NOT getting it.... YES I KNOW they sold me the starter one way bearing by accident.... BUT....IT FIT PERFECT & ONLY SPINS COUNTER CLOCKWISE.... YES it has the lip on the cage.. i triple checked it 3 times.. even with lip it fit & worked perfect

Edited by Wheeler

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

shade.. your NOT getting it.... YES I KNOW they sold me the starter one way bearing... IT FIT PERFECT & ONLY SPINS COUNTER CLOCKWISE.... YES it has the lip on the cage.. i triple checked it 3 times.. even with lip it fit & worked perfect

what ever bro..i have no idea how you got it to fit inside the drum ?, but good luck !..lol. i've been doing trx300's for most of my life...AND I KNOW FOR 100% FACT..THE WHOLE BEARING WILL NOT SWAP OUT !..LOL.

Just now, shadetree said:

what ever bro..i have no idea how you got it to fit inside the drum ?, but good luck !..lol. i've been doing trx300's for most of my life...AND I KNOW FOR 100% FACT..THE WHOLE BEARING WILL NOT SWAP OUT !..LOL.

I wish I took a pic.. I didn't. But it really did fit inside shadetree... swear to gawd. That one in my pic that I bought, fit inside... seriously! That's why I was asking your opinions/advice.. like you say.. your've been at this since I was prolly knee high to a grasshopper lol...

Now that it's moving in gear because it's so close to the drum, do you figure it will wear enough to stop biting so hard?? I guess I can try my heavy thumb to see if it can wear a lil faster haha.. I dunno.. I know eventually it will wear down a lil & stop...

My reverse lever works correct now too.. I did like it just shifting without the lever, but a lot safer this way..

I wish I took a pic.. I didn't. But it really did fit inside shadetree... swear to gawd. That one in my pic that I bought, fit inside... seriously! That's why I was asking your opinions/advice.. like you say.. your've been at this since I was prolly knee high to a grasshopper lol...

Now that it's moving in gear because it's so close to the drum, do you figure it will wear enough to stop biting so hard?? I guess I can try my heavy thumb to see if it can wear a lil faster haha.. I dunno.. I know eventually it will wear down a lil & stop...

My reverse lever works correct now too.. I did like it just shifting without the lever, but a lot safer this way..

post a pic of the new bearing you say fit in the clutch side please !.

From page one... from what I remember the lip side was closest to the drum on install... again, the clutch spun counter clockwise & NOT clockwise..

85CE9FD8-2675-4598-A96C-FF81EED87986.jpeg

C73A3007-A0E5-4FE9-AC18-D59F0551D993.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler

From page one...

85CE9FD8-2675-4598-A96C-FF81EED87986.jpeg

C73A3007-A0E5-4FE9-AC18-D59F0551D993.jpeg

thanks..ok..now tell me..how the heck you set this down in the drum ????, because this bearing is not the correct bearing !!, this is the starter side one-way bearing bro, IT WILL NOT FIT CORRECTLY IN THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH DRUM !. from what i gather ?..who ever the freak sold you what '' they thought '' ?, or only could get their hands on ??!!..sold you the starter side one-way clutch bearing !, reason : BECAUSE THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH ONE-WAY BEARING IS DISCONTINUED TODAY !!. sooo..i'd really love to know how the heck you set this down inside the centrifugal clutch drum ??!!!..AND IT BE CORRECT !..LOL.

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

the reverse has NOTHING to do with the clutch working.