jeepwm69

Little a-arm work this morning, bushings and zerk

Last time we rode, @basfnb was on my Rubicon and said it was randomly jerk to the right.  I hopped on for a few minutes, and he was right, so I figure bad CV joint.

So yesterday I took most of it apart, and found the upper a-arm bushings were shot, letting the arm move side to side quite a bit.

Took the arm to the shop this morning,  drilled and tapped the arm and added a grease zerk, burned out the old bushings with my MAP gas torch,  then reassembled with new bushings, and greased the crap out of it.

Greased the bearing and both ball joints while I had the knuckle in the shop, and reassembled it all with another CV out of my parts stash. 

That was, of course, after I mushroomed the first CV I tried to use when the hub wouldn't slide easily onto the CV.  I cleaned the splines and tapped the hub on and off a few times, and shroomed the end of the CV in the process.  DOH!

tap arm.jpg

zerk arm.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Last time we rode, @basfnb was on my Rubicon and said it was randomly jerk to the right.  I hopped on for a few minutes, and he was right, so I figure bad CV joint.

So yesterday I took most of it apart, and found the upper a-arm bushings were shot, letting the arm move side to side quite a bit.

Took the arm to the shop this morning,  drilled and tapped the arm and added a grease zerk, burned out the old bushings with my MAP gas torch,  then reassembled with new bushings, and greased the crap out of it.

Greased the bearing and both ball joints while I had the knuckle in the shop, and reassembled it all with another CV out of my parts stash. 

That was, of course, after I mushroomed the first CV I tried to use when the hub wouldn't slide easily onto the CV.  I cleaned the splines and tapped the hub on and off a few times, and shroomed the end of the CV in the process.  DOH!

tap arm.jpg

zerk arm.jpg

i don't see the end cap seals on this arm ??.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

i don't see the end cap seals on this arm ??.

Put them on afterwards.  Once I drilled and installed that zerk, I burned out the old bushings, installed new ones and a new sleeve, pumped till grease came out the ends, then put the caps on and bolted it back on the Rubicon.