Chevymec

Getting the exhaust a little quieter.

I have an HMF pipe with a quiet core. Doesn't bother me normally but during dear season I wish I had a stock exhaust. I see a few companies that sell a silencer type setup that fits right in the factory muffler. I scrapped my stock stuff but it was gutted out when I bought my 500 so it wasn't doing any good. Anything out there that works with an aftermarket setup? I'm not against putting a stocker back on, but all the ones I find are gutted also. 

Atvsilencer.com has them, I've seen the bolt on models for a stock exhaust but not sure about the aftermarket exhaust

• Like 1

I run an FMF. It’s loud. All my buddies tell me between my truck & quad I’ll scare all the deer. I drove my quad into one spot & seen deer they stopped & I shot one standing off the back box. I’ve also rolled up in deer in my truck & hammered one in the head last year at 60yards with my 45-70. So me personally... I don’t believe a quiet exhaust will scare them off. They are curious.. but... would I see more with a quiet one?? I dunno maybe...

Edited by Wheeler

@Wheeler, it isn't as much as the deer as it is our English springer spaniel goes crazy. Not as bad right now because I don't head out till about 6am but when the time changes it will be 5am or earlier. I saw 2 does this morning on the way in and they wernt bothered.  

• Like 1

i was impressed with this setup .... i this rig belongs to a member ... i think it's downunder... fish you recall this fella ? he did the galvanized 300 frame ... but i don't think he's a member here ? it might have been @TrxPipUK

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit: credit for these pics goes to the OP. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Wilson ,yep , DownUnder  was on the old site and from the Australian coast , galvanized his frame

I think the deer around here come to the sounds of 4 wheelers , like the Piped Piper , they must think here comes them guys that bring the corn ---------   we see it on the game cameras at the feeders , we pull up on the 4 wheelers , load the feeders and change the cards , every time , no more than 10 minutes after we leave they come into the feeder and we see pics with time stamps next time we change the cards , I think they hear the spinner throwing corn after we fill them and do a spin ------and quite a few times now I have seen deer and hogs up close while riding , so I know  they must have heard me a mile away  and they let us get within 30 yards before they run , always out of season , when the season starts they know better 

• Like 2

thanks fish.... i thought it might have been ether of those fellas ...  we need to draw ydownunder over here... what you say makes sence ... I don't hunt ... but cattle  .. chickens, hogs will react the same way ... when Dennis fires up his massy ... cows start bawling .. and moving to the hay rings / feeding area... but ... now wild turkeys ... nah... not so much ... I've seen deer stay right close to tractors in the past while setting out round bails ... and when we were feeding ... ground ear corn ... in long open troughs....  the deer would choose the upper side (close to the tree line ... it was kind of funny to watch how cattle and deer don't get along ... they get wise to engine sounds ... related to feed being put out, i used to call my cattle up with the horn on my toyota ... sounds funny, but it's true ... 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

i was impressed with this setup .... i this rig belongs to a member ... i think it's downunder... fish you recall this fella ? he did the galvanized 300 frame ... but i don't think he's a member here ? it might have been @TrxPipUK

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit: credit for these pics goes to the OP. 

No not me... awesome 300 though, wish it was mine lol

• Like 1