87Iroc

Educate a new guy...what are oil squirters?

Saw this on a Honda Hoarders page on Facebook...

Figure it must be for chain drive ATVs like the sports...but thought I'd check

image.png

Hard to tell from that picture what atv it could be going on. But its squirting oil right at the crank lower rod bearing. I would have to imagine it taps into the main oil supply going to the topend maybe? Seems that would require a stronger oil pump or it would starve the topend? I would have to guess a trx450r? No other hondas have bottom end problems at all. Unless the oil is drained and not replaced or never changed.

• Like 1

Thanks. I had assumed it was the chain....which would drip a TON of oil if it wasn't controlled. Inside the crankcase makes more sense. I wonder if the 450R has a factory oil spriter and he's modifying it for  better oiling.

On the oil pump, you might be able to shim the spring to hold oil pressure up....but I'd have to pull out my Fluid Dynamics book and that sounds like work.

The 450r and 400ex and i would have to imagine the utilities are the same. Have a hollow crank half where it sends oil up into the crank pin and out a hole under the rod bearing. So i cant honestly wrap my head around why this would be necessary at all? The rod even has a hole running up it which pushes oil up to the wrist pin. I guess this squirter maybe hits the outside of the piston skirt maybe? I have been racking my brain on why someone would go through the trouble. Doesnt make much sense to me.